Author Topic: A Call for Help - Maps!  (Read 44233 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
A Call for Help - Maps!
« on: June 23, 2010, 03:32:51 AM »
Edit: I need help. Original post below.
Those of you who've done a lot of collecting know the dilemma I have here. If I spent 50 hours doing this I may never find every Pink Diamond spawn point in the game, per map. Palladium is easy. Gems have a lot more random variation. What I need to ask of the community is to please use this thread to post images in an X-marks the spot fashion. I don't care how you do it. Save one of the maps below to your computer, put a dot or something accurate in the spot where you've found a pink diamond, and post it back in this thread. That way the image you made is live and we won't have people wasting their time with duplicates. I'd like to get 5 total pink diamond spawn points (if they exist) per town. This may not be possible depending on how many the developers put in the game. As far as I know something of this scale has not been done before. We want to be excellent but not only in collecting so I can't spend 10 hours per town figuring this out!

I spent about 2 hours in Twinbrook today with full cheats enabled just running around picking things up and found only 1 pink diamond spawn point. There ARE more. We just have to find them. Together we can make this a really good feature for players for the next 5-10 years, even. So I'll say please be precise if you want to contribute a location and be absolutely positive a pink diamond was found there. Zoom in the image really well and put a nice fat dot centered on your find. You can generally use Microsoft Paint to do this.

This post may change in the future. This is the only feasible way to really make great maps. I would also like to share with you all that the Prima guide has been not very helpful to me thus far in tracking down these locations. Of the four palladium I've found, only 1 is marked on the Prima guide.

I am going to go ahead and push forward with the SimBot page and try to publish it, sans maps with a promise that they will be delivered. I'm not relying on any one specific person here to make this idea come alive, but I could really use the help of anyone willing to contribute. Thank you.

To those taking a deeper look or contributing:
There are problems in a few places on each map. I'm honestly not going to correct them. What I've done took a lot of time, and I don't feel my perfectionist trait kicking in on this one. You'll notice some places where things overlap or double and I've made a mistake there. One I'm not gonna fix, sorry. When you zoom it's apparent where I've made a mistake. Use your judgment when contributing a spot -- there's an area in Twinbrook where I double an area in the southwestern sector. This isn't a huge problem if we're careful about where the dots are placed. It's generally pretty clear where the images overlap and don't connect just right.

An Inevitable Dissolution
When we are done here some day, I will dissolve this thread and replace it with one much like the original to have a nice spot to host the full maps on the forum and thank everyone who contributed. I'll also mention you by name or forum nick (your preference) on the guide itself. Once I compile all the data provided to me I don't want to have the guide and forum competing. I simply wouldn't want anyone misled to come here and look at all the various images with an X as opposed to our final version which will be all-inclusive.

Original Post (How this project started)
Today I started a SimBot article and realized I had nothing really good to point people to where to find the Pink Diamond, Palladium, and Special Seeds. So, I found a way to stitch together many images from the game to create a map. I showed my prototype to Pam and set about improving it, then went and made the other two towns. These haven't been incorporated at all yet, it took a lot of time just to do this stage. I'll label a few for where to get the ingredients for a SimBot and proceed with Ambitions coverage. But, in the future I'll make plenty of improvements to the maps in the various collecting articles. These are just my templates. They offer a fairly unique view of the three towns, given the incredible scale. I thought some of you might like to see them. ;)

Legend as of now (only Twinbrook has points of interest):
Blue = High Metal
Gold = High Gem
Pink = Pink Diamond

A legend will be worked into the images' bottom right corner once I figure out how many things I definitely want to include.

Sunset Valley: View Full Size

Riverview: View Full Size

Twinbrook: View Full Size

A member has provided me with two pink diamond spawn points in Twinbrook. When looking for leads on the net, I read of these two but couldn't yet confirm them. I read in that same place that there were only two. So, with some more high gem spawn points the map will be quite enough to help folks get a Simbot without cheating there. I'm still behind using the miner as a go-to. At least there are only two spots to check, then a Sim could go back to mining and checking the consignment shop off and on.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
Re: Upcoming Feature: Better Maps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:52:44 AM »
These maps are going to bring large quantities of awesomeness to the Guide!  :D
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:45:47 AM »
It looks actually really cool! ;D

Good work!
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:09:20 AM »
Nice. I like the idea of just one image instead of a few smaller ones. With smaller maps, it's sometimes a bit confusing getting your bearings as to where something is.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

lianne

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »
It's always frustrated me that I couldn't see the whole map at once, as I could never really picture where things were in relation to each other on opposite sides of the map. Yet another problem solved by Carl and Pam's guide :D

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:49:48 AM »
Those maps look very cool. I found Twinbrook confusing, and that map helps. Nice work :)

Archer0

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
Very, very nice work Carl.  Wow!  That's going to be soooo nice.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
Incredible Carl!  Those maps are amazing and I will be printing them out and putting them on the wall here in my office for reference.  :D

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
That is amazing! I'm so glad I can now see all of Twinbrook, I always got lost when finding my way around there! (Thankfully my Sims have that button when they are out for them to return home on their own. :D

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »
This is pretty impressive, it'll make for a wonderful collectibles map.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I thought it'd be appreciated to see what the towns would look like were a sky high view possible. One problem I'm foreseeing is that any icons I put on such a map won't be able to be viewed with any level of precision, so I'll probably have to tweak the 'full size' down a bit, so that it won't be so burdensome to scroll around it. It'll then be expected to look at them full size. Hopefully I can get a good 600-wide shot that will look good on the page for a quick reference though.

My first plan is to set up all three with dots that indicate where to find the most valuable items in each area. It'll at the same time be a major help to collectors and to those just trying to make a SimBot. I'll then go back and add icons for common finds. I'm starting this project tonight :)

Honestly, I think that setting them up to cover every major type of find, insects, gems or metals, and having that all on one map makes sense. Often you're not looking for just a gem, but would pick up anything valuable along the way. So one map for each area sounds like a good idea.

lil_crazy

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 06:19:21 PM »
Cool! This place just keeps improving everyday.:)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: A Call for Help - Maps!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:33:08 PM »
Yes, we are always improving but things only get perfected with you guys' help. I updated the first post. If you've been on this topic before please have a read of what I envision. That's the only way we'll have maps to everything.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
I like the idea of all the valuables on one map. Once you have the home towns done, will you move on to do the travel destinations too? - I was quite pleased with myself yesterday, I discovered a spot where opals spawn in France. Of course it was not in the collector game where I actually want a number of them, but I will certainly remember it when I go back to that game lol.

Anyway, great work Carl

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »
Thanks, it seems like a good idea. Covering World Adventures is definitely on the table but takes an aside to the others. Everyone has vanilla. Everyone legal has access to Riverview, and Ambitions players have the others plus Twinbrook. So, I guess I'm saying it's a supply and demand situation, and coverage of this magnitude for the travel spots will have to come after the main towns, but will inevitably come!