Author Topic: Eight Avoided Graves (The Fifth Grave Dynasty): A Painful Decision/Graveyard  (Read 17377 times)

TheTripWasInfraGreen

Re: Eight Avoided Graves (The Fifth Grave Dynasty): Coming of Age (11/23)
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
My teenage years were short but not insignficant.

I mostly exercised in the old nursery, or I ran over the bridges and into the swamps. Dad said that living in the swamps built character, and that uncle Skeet could confirm that.

Gwen was more of an artist than me. She painted all day, refused to take a shower, and also refused to move the urn from behind her. It was her dad's, but uncle Marc and I thought it was really strange for her to do that.

"He speaks to me when I paint," she said.

"I think that's just you," Marc muttered.

As for uncle Skeet, he updated his looks with hair dye and camouflage and spent the last of his days outside, collecting or fishing. His only excuses were that he loved the outdoors, and it helped him keep his mind off the death of Gwayne. He felt bad for leaving her and his older two kids behind.

But oh god, having to be in a house full of elders. Gwen was my age, but everyone else was old. Even dad was losing his touch then. Worse yet, dad kept inviting others in, as you can see Wei in the background. They bonded over their worries, but I just wanted him out. Which happened within a week. It made sense; he was older than uncle Marc, after all.

Dad was stressing over his job. He looked confident with his cooking and made it to 75 meals, but he was nearing 65 then and worried over whether he would get his final promotions. One day, I found him talking to the mirror.

"Just one day away from your 65th birthday, and you're just a mere pastry chef. Oh, you fat failure."

"But I'm doing so well, and I have friends, and my properties, and I've gotten as far with cooking as I can. Don't tell me I've failed. I haven't yet."

"You're just going to fail like you do every other time. Who told you that you were cut out for this mission anyways? Failure. Loser. You aren't ever going anywhere."

"But I won't fail! I can't fail." I heard him suppress a sob as he tried to end the conversation with the mirror. "I can't let them down after I've gotten so far."

"Dad, what was that?" I asked him.

"Hopefully something you'll never understand," he answered.

"I think you should stop listening to yourself. Mum keeps thinking that you'll succeed."

"She does know best," he sighed.

His 65th birthday was a quiet celebration. Between uncle Marc, uncle Skeet, and mum, I was really surrounded by elders. Gwen was too serious about her painting to seem like a peer. Soon, we realized the downside of a house full of elders.

One day in the studio, Marc felt light as a feather and his head hung down in sadness. He was hardly 90; it couldn't be time yet.

He pleaded for a little more time. There were paintings to complete, and good-byes to say to Amy and the kids. It didn't work, and Marc was gone.

Whereas Skeet felt lighter right after a shower, and grinned the slightest bit as he walked out.

He shook Grim's hand and thanked him for staying away for so long and giving him enough time to fish and garden for us, raise four kids, and live comfortably. He was definitely the longest-lived out of anyone in the house, just shy of 100.

Mum and dad were the oldest ones, and they wanted to make every moment count.

Though mum wasn't too stressed about her age. She learned during her time as a Grave that the dead are just bound to another world and sometimes pay a visit.

I had to work on the garden after Skeet died, and it wasn't too bad. Dad was getting very impatient with some immature climbing vines. He didn't reveal why until much later.

Gwen got serious about her painting, and loved to do portraits. Just like uncle Marc. It was nice to remember my teenage years that way.

I made a wish the next day. I wished to take my life with courage, because dad was a bundle of nerves, and I couldn't stand living life in fear of failure. Especially with his whole family believing in him.

---

(Somehow a B isn't enough to chose a trait anymore, since Willow's now Brave instead of something I wanted. Not a bad trait, but it's yet another that she shares with Gwen and it makes me even more sad that Gwen isn't a guy.)

Offline Silverbella

• Occult
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
Poor Journeyman is so hard on himself :(   And I wish Gwen was a boy also!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
He's just too used to failure by now. With his job promotions being so hard to grab and one of his besties dead while he sits at 80 87 days old, I'm hoping that his inner voice isn't right. D:

TheTripWasInfraGreen

Re: Eight Avoided Graves (The Fifth Grave Dynasty): Against Orders (11/24)
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »

After I had a slice of cake, I changed into the new clothes that dad bought me and got Gwen to style my hair a little differently.

In case you were wondering about the man in pink behind me, that was my roommate, Felix Bull. He and dad were great friends and dad kept gushing about how he had to have Felix live with us because he was uncle Marc's son. And he had ulterior motives too.

"I think that Felix is just perfect for you!" he said.

"Yes, the man who says 'I never want to marry' and wants to be the ultimate woohooer is perfect."

"But he loves the outdoors and music, just like you."

I loved Felix. As a friend, of course. He and Gwen were the best people I knew, but I had no intentions of romancing Felix. Not at all. I had bigger things on my mind.

Soon after that, mum stepped out of the bathroom after a relaxing shower and felt a little different. Dad was out at the Greenwoods while it happened, but I saw it all.

When the Reaper greeted her, she was calm. "Hey Grim, it's a little early, but I've had a great time on this earth with my wonderful husband and my lovely daughter. In fact, I couldn't ask for anything better."

And she jumped into her urn as a happy camper.

I relayed her message to dad, but it didn't heal him. He was heartbroken for a long time after that. Later on he told me about his romantic past, and how it took him so long to find mum. I wish I understood it better at the time.

Mum and I weren't very close in her later years, but I was still saddened over it. Even worse than when uncle DeAndre died. I don't care what dad thought; I flung myself into Thomas Castor's arms for a good cry.

Dad was so intent on me and Felix becoming a thing, which so wasn't going to happen.

Thomas and I were good friends since high school. He was a good deal older than me, yet the kindest person I knew. As great as Felix was, he was a bit of a jerk and just a friend. Thomas wasn't.

That night, we both realized how we mattered to each other.

Though I still had work to do. I jogged around Twinbrook, since dad was too occupied with his job and the final promotions to take me to Shang Simla.

And I had to stop procrastinating. I got a job as an acrobat. Maybe more like a glorified mime, but I looked forward to the day where I would be on stage.

Meanwhile, Gwen had her own romantic endeavors. When she brought Tim home, I almost wanted to tell her off, saying that she'll just be down the same road that her mum was as an early widow. I didn't want to see her heart broken so soon.

But it was too late. She was captivated by Tim.

Dad was a little more stressed. He was one promotion away from the top of his career, but he was already in his 80's, and I prayed that he wouldn't go as soon as mum did. Not after all his success.

He tried to make more friends, but the success was marginal.

Gwen was happier. In spite of the age gap and Tim's erratic schedule as an acrobat (like me!), they were absolutely in love and thrilled to have their first and only child. I hoped that the stuff on his face was just pie filling.

In fact, she wanted to take it to the next level. Dad later told her that there was absolutely no way he'd allow Tim into the house, but it was the thought that counted.

And not a moment too soon.

Gwen spent days enchanted by her new son, Peter Racket. He was adorable, but I was hardly romantic with Thomas (and still not willing to marry Felix; sorry dad) while Gwen was as settled down as a Grave roomie could get. I was told this was a common feeling.

I met Thomas at the diner, away from any comments dad had to make about his small ears, or the fact that a stiff wind could knock him over (which it could, true). I gazed into his eyes.

"Thomas, I've been feeling so lonely since I graduated."

"I've been wondering if I'll ever find love myself."

It seemed so familiar, and I overheard mum and dad talk about it long ago. "Those normals, they're cursed and that's why I'm here," dad told her. Could the curse be a life without love? I couldn't let Thomas resign to that life, whatever it was. I had to ask dad about that later.

"Why should we stay that way?" I asked him.

He was a little shocked, but I smooched him at the diner. The same spot where mum and dad confessed their love for each other. I didn't care what dad had to say, I wanted Thomas. I instantly invited him to live with us.

If nothing else, Felix would be happy that he could carelessly woohoo instead of languish in marriage with me. I would have been such a terrible wife for him.

And with some magic, I couldn't think of anyone in Twinbrook more handsome than Thomas.

-

(Leave it to my sims to throw a wrench in my spousal plan. First Cricket with her suddenly dead fiance, and now Willow actually resisting a son of Marc. I expected Felix and Willow to hit it off immediately due to a shared trait, but they really just wanted to be friends. Yet Willow popped a ton of romantic wishes for Thomas. Funny how that happens.

Yes, Felix's favorite color is pink. He pulls it off very well.)

Offline Silverbella

• Occult
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »
Yay I like Thomas, and he really did turn out handsome!

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »
He really did! It seems your Sims are particularly prone to rebellion. Nonetheless, I'm sure Felix will populate the town for future generations ;)
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
When he came into the house with his Master Romancer LTW, I knew what Felix's calling was. Though he had a passing interest in Gwen and it was tempting to pair them off.

Considering how Cricket and Willow share the rebellious trait, there might be some truth to that...

Yay I like Thomas, and he really did turn out handsome!

I was quite shocked. He normally ages up into an awful hairstyle and I leave him alone because of it, but this time Thomas came into the house already half-fashionable.

He was a lot easier to dress than Felix, for sure. I spent a long time trying to find a decent hairstyle for Felix, but he's pretty much limited to mohawks and faux-hawks for whatever reason. Thomas had a little more to choose from.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

TheTripWasInfraGreen

Re: Eight Avoided Graves (The Fifth Grave Dynasty): An Avoided Grave (11/25)
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
"Dad, what is our mission?" Willow asked.

"How do you know?"

"I don't know why else you'd be freaking out over everything."

"Alright, I want to be immortal," I answered. "You can do it too, but not Gwen or Felix or Thomas."

"I knew that much. But why?"

"It's for the benefit of everyone in this town, and I have to live to see it. It's a complicated thing and stop asking."

Willow walked off after that, but I almost put the mission in the back of my mind. Immortality was much more simple to think about and the thing I wanted the most, but for one of my superiors, perhaps it was an afterthought.

There was a life before Twinbrook and Union Cove. I washed dishes for a cook named Ms. O., and she was slightly special. She established herself as a mission coordinator, or a watcher as we colloquially called them.

She had a small team of us reserved. Some of them were family, but she called me to her office one day and had a talk about my new task and the curse of Simnation. We all knew what it was, but most of us were content to let the people languish and die off. Ms. O. was much different.

"Union Cove! I just love the people there, and I think you can save them from the curse."

"But why me? Don't you love your clean dishes?"

"I'll get your cousin Cadmium to do it. I don't trust her alone just yet anyways."

"What about that immortality thing I've always wanted?"

"Even better! Go do that."

I assumed the form of them, the average humans, and went on with the mission twice. Her goals were hardly on my mind. And failed, per usual. I was summoned back to the office of Ms. O.

"Nah, Twinbrook will work out so much better for you."

"Why there?"

"I haven't seen a place more cursed. They'll just die out unless we send you there."

And she kept sending me back.

Apparently we were the only ones that could fight the curse (not lift it for these missions, I'm afraid) and have Twinbrook, or any town flourish, sort of. It would be through our blood, she said. The Grave blood was the best vessel for their heritage to live on, and with my desire for immortality, it would live on forever and Twinbrook "will shine like a beacon when it's all done." I trusted her choice.

I didn't want to explain it right away. I had work to do after all. Being a mere Chef de Cuisine wasn't enough, and I was a few days away from either the top or death.

Gala and the crew didn't want to give such a wonderful old chef an extensive schedule. In spite of my begging, I only worked weekends. I didn't have the time to just work weekends, and finding Gala to schmooze her for a promotion was hard. She was always a little more withdrawn since DeAndre's death.

Thankfully Goodwin was there to help me pass the time. I expressed my worries to him about not reaching my goals, but he understood and stood behind me while looking absolutely stunning in his later years. He mostly had to talk about his wonderful new grandson, Noel. Ah yes, the son of his daughter and my own roomie and best friend, Justin Kayes.

Then I heard something bad about Justin. Though he wasn't a big presence in the household, I needed his friendship. Even if just to make my list complete.

Pansy and Cara were perfectly willing to fill in the gap that Justin left. My list felt complete. I hoped that work would go just as well.

I begged and pleaded with Gala for the top spot, and just before my 90th birthday, she said yes. Be a celebrated five-star chef. "You can even keep the black pastry chef uniform you love so much." All the patrons adored my cooking, and I worked far too long for that.

At last, it was all complete. Every little thing.

I sat down with a plate of ambrosia, a slightly-fishy smelling concoction bordering between light entree and dessert. The first bites were bland, but the subtle flavors of the life fruit soon kicked in. Not a terrible meal at all.

Its significance ran through my head. The meal that took me five lifetimes to cook, and all the changes I had to go through. The only things that remained were my penchant for cooking and my name. I softened out a bit, and if it's what brought me to that meal, I'm fine with being a softie.

That was the best lifetime I had, and I was fine with extending it. Even without Julienne to cheer me through it. She believed in me throughout it all, and I thought of her sweet smile as I swallowed the last bites.

O's mission was doing fine. Many of them had their blood passed down because of my efforts. I didn't care, though. I was immortal.

I am Journeyman, and I avoided my grave.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
Congratulations, Trip! I really hope this is the attempt that makes to the end. Journeyman's character development is rather touching and I want to see the results of Twinbrook's invigoration.  :)

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »
I really hope it is too. I had fun fleshing out his new self, though he still likes to occasionally be a jerk and mock Willow's appearance. He's trying, darn it.

I'm more impatient than you are to see how Twinbrook turns out in the end.

Louise56

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
Congrats on your first immortal! :)

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:34 AM »
Such an epic chapter ending: "I'm Journeyman, and I avoided my grave." Are you the watcher? This was a really cool chapter! Congrats to Journeyman!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

TheTripWasInfraGreen

Re: Eight Avoided Graves (The Fifth Grave Dynasty): Post-Ambrosia Lull (11/26)
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
Ms. O. is more-or-less a weird manifestation of me, but not quite the same person. She's implied to exist on the same plane of being as Journeyman and the rest of my sims, which I'm not in real life (of course). And unlike me, she still trusts Journeyman enough to almost never have to guide him.

I knew the chapter needed an epic closing line. OMG ONE IMMORTAL DOWN.

Updating time.

---

Peter was a very cute toddler, and it was shocking how much he looked like Gwen, and his grandma Lolly, and every other Racket. Dad groaned at the thought of having another purple-loving boy in the house.

I had different things to worry about. After a rigorous work out, I called the nearest travel agent.

"Can you get us five tickets to Shang Simla within the next few hours?" They said yes.

"But what about Peter?" asked Gwen. She might have been crazy, but she realized that traveling with a toddler was a bad idea.

"Call Tim and have him spend some quality time with his spawn."

And so the five of us landed in Shang Simla for a long, twelve-day voyage that wasn't as exciting as I thought. Though it was one of the few times I saw Gwen in her PJs. She was exhausted on the plane and had trouble sleeping in her usual getup.

Gwen and I jumped right into martial arts. I couldn't do it alone.

Felix tried his hand at tomb-raiding, but soon gave up. He spent the rest of the trip reading at the base camp, just like a son of uncle Marc would. Thomas followed suit, and if I wasn't sparring with Gwen, I lazed around the base camp with Thomas. Maybe he was too old for adventuring.

Though dad certainly wasn't. He was rejuvinated after eating ambrosia, and ran to the tombs.

No one saw him, but I'm certain that he did plenty of hard work. In fact, it was impressive enough so that the Chinese locals granted him the highest visa level, and allowed us to buy our own plot on the Chinese hillside. We had to have the house built, but dad promised us that it would be quick.

Maybe not the best looking, but quick. We returned home soon after.

Thomas was very close to his 65th birthday. I forgot for a moment that he was younger than dad, sure, but far older than Felix or Gwen. I didn't mind it, but I didn't have much time left to get serious about our relationship.

"Tommy, we're not getting any younger," I told him.

"Well, I'm certainly not."

"Either way, I have something to ask you."

"If our time is limited, we better complete this," I said as I presented a ring to him.

"Finally, Willow!"

I didn't have time to ask dad to marry him, or even to invite Felix and Gwen as witnesses. Twinbrook law didn't require them anyways.

We rushed out to Elkhorn Fishing Hole in our outerwear at the end of a blizzard. Thomas and I thought it was the perfect wedding. Dad muttered that our kid must have a proper wedding. He and mum married during a storm too, so I guessed that he was already tired of the theme.

It wasn't a moment too soon. And despite dad's bickering, Thomas and I wanted a boy.

-

(Willow needs to stop going against orders. She got a wish for a boy and Thomas didn't get any either way. Not like having a boy is dynasty-ending, but I now have to work some magic in order to have a wife ready for this new Grave. On the brighter side, potential Grave-wife will have some good genes behind her.

I don't know what's with purple-lovers in this household. Peter's the third one we have, and Gwen wears some purple too, in honor of her dad. I hope I don't have a purple-loving Grave for a long time now.)

Offline Silverbella

• Occult
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
Sorry I'm late, but congratulations on Journeyman's immortality!  I love the last line also!

Willow's snowy wedding pictures look beautiful :)

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
And to think I almost had them marry in China. However, they'd reset after each romantic interaction in China and I had to hold off their marriage. For the better, perhaps. I really wanted a wintery marriage sometime in the dynasty, and I got that. Considering how pointlessly long I made my winters, I'm certain it won't be the only one.

Also, I really, really hate how living sims are still connected to their dead romances. Journeyman can't pursue love again without getting a naughty reputation because he's still considered romantic with Julienne. Felix is surprisingly in the same situation due to a brief romance with Shyla Curtis before I moved him in. I thought it was just a fluke with Cricket Rust, but dear god, all the time? D:

anything