Author Topic: Magpie2012's Patterns  (Read 13159 times)

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
Re: Magpie2012's Patterns
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 01:48:21 AM »
Wow Magpie2012 ! These are all awesome. I love them all. You did an amazing job on these. Must download all !   :)

Thanks... I'm not sure how recolourable they are though so please let me know if you can!!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
I'm having a brick field day, Magpie! These are amazing!  ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »
I just want to clarify something and hopefully you won't think badly of me. The brick designs are not purely my own work... I'm still learning how to use Gimp and CAP and so I was playing around with some brick pictures I had on my PC (don't know from where) and I played around with colour and texture and symmetry and came up with those patterns. The reason I'm saying (owning up to) this is that it was brought to my attention (thanks Rhapsody) that in light of the Union Cove problem what I had done could be considered the same thing only to a lesser degree... I truly apologize for this as it wasn't my intention and if you want the patterns removed I will do so with speed!!!

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
Magpie, the main thing is to make sure the images you're using are copyright-free.  There are a lot of copyright-free images around, and many people have used them to create beautiful patterns.  That's perfectly legal.  This isn't at all like the Union Cove situation, where someone is trying to pass Union Cove off as his own creation without giving proper credit for it or getting permission to share it.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Rhapsody2312

• Townie
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 03:10:13 AM »
I just want to clarify something and hopefully you won't think badly of me. The brick designs are not purely my own work... I'm still learning how to use Gimp and CAP and so I was playing around with some brick pictures I had on my PC (don't know from where) and I played around with colour and texture and symmetry and came up with those patterns. The reason I'm saying (owning up to) this is that it was brought to my attention (thanks Rhapsody) that in light of the Union Cove problem what I had done could be considered the same thing only to a lesser degree... I truly apologize for this as it wasn't my intention and if you want the patterns removed I will do so with speed!!!

Magpie, the main thing is to make sure the images you're using are copyright-free.  There are a lot of copyright-free images around, and many people have used them to create beautiful patterns.  That's perfectly legal.  This isn't at all like the Union Cove situation, where someone is trying to pass Union Cove off as his own creation without giving proper credit for it or getting permission to share it.

While I agree that copyright-free images are there to be used and to create beautiful patterns, as someone who tries to create images for free use, it is my belief that if someone has gone to the effort to post their original creations on websites for free use by others, it is only fair to give them the credit for the original design. It doesn't make the pattern any less your own idea, but it does also give credit where credit is due. The same way we credit the creators of patterns we use in Legacies, Dynasties or anything else that is available for public viewing. Just because an image is copyright-free, doesn't mean that credit shouldn't be given to the creator. Perhaps this makes me pedantic, but it is a belief that I hold very strongly to, and one which I defend given the time, energy, and often money, that people invest in design programmes, website creation and image hosting for the benefit of others. It's only fair that they benefit by having people credit their work in return.

Magpie, thank you for taking the time to calm down and listen to what I was trying to point out to you; even if my method was a bit skewed.  ::)
Listen to the mustn'ts child, Listen to the don'ts;
Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles and the won'ts.
Listen to the never-haves, then listen close to me;
Anything can happen, child; anything can be.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 03:33:31 AM »
Thanks Schip! And Rhapsody I swear from now on I'll try remember to post credits in my notes.... Although I'm hoping I'll be able to do completely "handmade" brick patterns myself sometime soon!!!

Offline Rhapsody2312

• Townie
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 03:41:21 AM »
Thanks Schip! And Rhapsody I swear from now on I'll try remember to post credits in my notes.... Although I'm hoping I'll be able to do completely "handmade" brick patterns myself sometime soon!!!

Lol! I can't wait to see what you come up with Mags. I have a couple of awesome tutorials I use for creating maps, that give you a good overview of all the functions of Gimp. Remind me to send the links to you.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 03:42:55 AM »
Lol! I can't wait to see what you come up with Mags. I have a couple of awesome tutorials I use for creating maps, that give you a good overview of all the functions of Gimp. Remind me to send the links to you.  :)

Awesome! Thanks will definitely remind you!!

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 08:06:59 AM »
Rhapsody, I agree 100% on always giving credit to the source of a pattern or other inspiration.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  I was just saying that legally, copyright-free material is in a different category than something like Union Cove or other artistic creations.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Rhapsody2312

• Townie
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
Oh no, I agree totally that what Magpie did wasn't anywhere close to what happened with Union Cove. Magpie and I are friends in person as well as online, so the posts here are related to a conversation we had previously where I mentioned that they weren't entirely her creations as she'd copied the original content and just altered it slightly. She was highly upset about someone stealing Union Cove and posting it as their own creation, and I (rather harshly I admit); took the opportunity to point out to her that this person added store content, so he might as well take all the credit for the creation because that's basically what I felt she had been doing with her patterns as she hadn't previously credited anyone.
I am also disgusted with the thought of someone taking Union Cove and passing it off as their own, and as soon as I can get onto a computer that allows me onto the Sims3 site (the work pc keeps closing it); I'll report it as well. Although hopefully by then something will have been done about it.
I am equally harsh on myself, and have a tendency to be extreme about my personal values and beliefs, so that is why this ended up on the forum; as an explanation not only of Magpie's posts, but also my own.
I hope that no one has been offended by it as I do know that I can come across rather pompous and self-righteous; however that is seldom my intention and I apologise if anyone was offended.

anything