Author Topic: Furniture from Junk Yard  (Read 54271 times)

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
Furniture from Junk Yard
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
Has anyone figured out what to do with the furniture from the junk yard? Like is there a way to refurbish it or something. I don't see the point in it being there if the only way to fix it is to basically pay for a new one so I assume there is more to it.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Furniture from Junk Yard
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
So it costs full value to replace? I need to look into that.. if so, detonate! Takes quite a lot to reach that skill challenge anyway, need more things to blow up with a reason :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »
Seems like some stuff you can blow up, while other things you can't.  A couple times I've picked up a trash compactor and a telephone and I wasn't able to detonate either of those items even though my invention skill is at level 10.  Maybe I just haven't detonated enough things yet?

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
Haven't tried to detonate as I am not there in inventing yet. But I just feel that there must be more to it otherwise it is completely pointless.

Jazinga

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:41:34 PM »
Salvage them at the Scrap Yard and they end up in your Family Inventory.  If you have a big enough lot (see semi-expalantion/cautionary tale next), take them out and pack them really tightly together.  Leave just enough room for your Sims to get to them.  Have your Sims detonate the innermost, and largest, item.  Usually, if that item is large enough (maybe it's bulky, as I have had mixed results) then all the surrounding stuff will become collectible Scrap as well.

I stumbled on this method as I was detonating the really large pile at the Scrap Yard.  Two cars were parked on the lot and literally everything blew up!  IIRC, my yield was almost 3,000 scrap.  My Best Friend eats well, now, and I haven't gone done much besides fiddle around with Detonating since.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
I was hoping that there was actually a way to refurbish!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »
I was hoping that there was actually a way to refurbish!

I was hoping the same thing. Refurbish and then sell it or use it in the house. Nobody seems to have unlocked a refurbish action, though.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Merrilin

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »
Hello fellow salvagers,

It is a very good idea to salvage everything possible. Spread it on your lot, and call the repairman. After he leaves, the furniture will be as good as new, and alot of the time it can be sold for great cash. (I usually put 1 item inside my actual house, not just randomly on the lot. Just to make sure there is something broken inside the household.)

I read this on another forum, and I hope its working as intended.

Enjoy.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
I wonder then if a sim with some skill in handiness could fix them up. I just figured it was with one of the new skills but handiness sounds like it might work. Have to make one of my sims handy now to see!

Merrilin

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »
My Sim has max Handiness, and he can't repair any salvaged items. I think at some point he had a wish to do so, but it did not work.

I think it's weird, but 'Repair man' is your man for now.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:14:39 PM »
The repairman can only repair the electronics though, but anything is good compared to full price.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Arkaine

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
The repairman can only repair the electronics though, but anything is good compared to full price.

I had him repair a cookie machine and a bookcase so I think he can repair a wider variety of items than just electronics.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »
Very glad to know that the repairman works for salvaged items! Thanks!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:33 PM »
I got a ton of stuff from the salvage yard, electronics and some other stuff, took them home, called the repairman and he just stood there and did nothing.  He left without fixing anything and still charged me.  I tried this numerous times, so on my end it does not work.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:36 AM »
My Sim has picked up a number of broken down, burnt looking items from the junk yard.  She does not have the handiness skill up to where she can make any repairs, so I tried putting the furniture, TVs, trash compactor etc on her lot one evening and she called the repair man (woman actually - lol). 
The repair person was on the lot for a couple of hours but when she left, after charging $50, all the items were in tip-top shape.  What a wonderful way for a poor starving artist to get a new, big screen TV!  ::)
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.