Author Topic: The Curse of the Artist - Chapter 12  (Read 14715 times)

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
The Curse of the Artist - Chapter 12
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »

They say that creating great works of art is a curse... well, "they" are completely right.

Table of Contents

Gen 1: Michelle Angel
Week 01 - Home, Art, and Dreams of the Future
Week 02 - Autumn Skies
Week 03 - Winter Blues
Week 04 - Hope Springs Eternal
Week 05 - Summer Time!
Week 06 - Teenage Dreams
Week 07 - Work, Work, Work
Week 08 - I've Had the Time of My Life!

Gen 2: Coco Angel

Week 01 - Adventures in Adulthood
Week 02 - How Time Flies!
Week 03 - The Charmed Life?
Week 04 - Life Marches On
Week 05 - TBA

Note: Updates will be sporadic, but I'm hoping to get at least one a week. Hopefully, they will be more frequent than that.
Origin ID: marwolfer
Check me out on the gallery!!

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
Re: The Curse of the Artist - Under Construction
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »

Generation One: Michelle Angel

Hello, everyone! My name is Michelle Angel, upcoming artist extraordinaire! I just moved to Riverview and wow! Is it hot! I know summer is supposed to be warm, but I've never experienced a heat wave like this before! Luckily, I had my summer wardrobe handy so I wouldn't overheat while I was unpacking and settling in! Check it out!

As you can see, the less clothing the better! I know that I'll be able to power through this heat. I'm so glad to be out on my own. I just graduated from high school a month ago and moved here from Sunset Valley to pursue my art. I wanted to get away from it all and follow my dreams. Will I be a painter? An inventor? A sculptor? Who knows? All three of these areas interest me, so I will more than likely just follow my own whims. Oh, didn't I show you my house? It's so cute!

I know it's not much now, but I don't need a fancy house. I just need somewhere to lay my head at night! Well, I'd better hustle! Great art waits for no sim!

Fast Facts

Name: Michelle Angel
Traits: Eccentric, Artistic, Savvy Sculptor, Loner, Loves the Outdoors
Lifetime Wish: Descendant of daVinci
Zodiac Sign: Cancer

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »

Week One: Home, Art, and Dreams of the Future

My first week in my new home went by without a hitch. I decided to spend the whole first day just getting settled in and gathering some basic skills. Cooking would be a necessity now that I don't have my mom to do it for me! All the cooking I had ever done before had involved a microwave and well, that's a luxury I just can't afford right now! Luckily, Mom had sent me a good cookbook in the bookcase that she'd given me, so I settled in and started reading.

Hmm. This cooking thing doesn't seem to hard. Too bad I didn't realize that my favorite food could be made easily without knowing anything about cooking! Oh well. Perhaps I can finesse those Autumn Salads a bit now that I have a bit more skill with a knife. I fixed my first dinner in my new house (Autumn Salad, of course!) and went straight to bed. I was exhausted from moving so far away and all the unpacking. Good thing my bed is so comfortable! All the beautiful yellow made me feel right at home!

The next morning brought a rather unpleasant surprise. My toilet got all clogged up! I hope don't have to replace it; I don't think I will have any spare money in the near future. I'm never afraid of a challenge, so I rolled up my sleeves, grabbed my plunger, and got to it. It didn't take long to unclog the thing, though thinking about what could be lodged in there made me dry heave a bit.

To banish those unpleasant thoughts from my head, I decided to get some fresh air and try my hand at sculpting. I was able to get a nice, big hunk of clay to work with. Not really sure what I was doing... I tried to emulate some of the moves I'd seen in the movies and from some of my art classes. I wanted to make a beautiful statue for my home, but the more I chipped away the simpler my sculpture became. The end result was... a chair. Oh well. Everyone has to start somewhere! I put the new sculpture in my house and relaxed the rest of the day. It really was much to hot outside!

The next day I decided to get out and see a bit Riverview. I thought my new town might give me a bit of inspiration! I hopped on my bike and headed out to see what I could find!

A couple of streets over, I found the local gym. They had an enormous pool! It seemed to me like the perfect time for a dip! After all, I'd gotten quite hot on the ride over! After swimming a bit, I wanted to find the grocery store. I needed to get some more vegetables for salads if I was ever going to survive! Thankfully, the grocery store was full of fresh local produce at a reasonable rate. I got my fill then headed home to read a nice book.

I woke up the next morning feeling completely inspired. Time to sculpt! I worked with wood, a new medium for me. I learned that different types of wood have to be treated in their own special way. I'm sure there were more than many mistakes in my finished products, but I was proud of those two sculptures! I must have had cats on the brain, though, as they were both statues of lions. They sold for a bit of money, which made me even more excited! I really was on my way to becoming a great sculptor!

I wanted to work with metal for my next sculpture, but I didn't know where I could find any metal to use. A neighbor told me that there at the junk yard they would let you take any scrap you could carry for free. Free is my favorite number! I ran my butt on over and began digging deep into the piles of garbage. I was definitely smelly when I left, but I had a nice little pile of scrap metal to work with. I didn't even wait to shower when I got home. I started working with the metal ASAP! Unfortunately, I was a bit more tired than I realized because I accidentally caught myself on fire with the blowtorch! Oh no! I made it to the shower in time to extinguish the flames before I got any major burns.

I got a call from someone named Luke Dermott to bring him one of my statues for a nice bit of cash. I eagerly complied, whipping up something worthy of (what I thought were) his tastes. Apparently, I didn't need to work too hard on it; Luke was just a simple, unemployed country boy. When I dropped off the statue, we struck up a conversation. I'm normally not much of a social butterfly, but I enjoyed getting to know Luke. It will be nice to have a friend in town.

The rest of the week went by in a blur. I sculpted, sculpted, sculpted. Honing and perfecting my skills. By the end, I was getting to be quite good with a chisel and hammer. I tried many new mediums: clay, wood, ice, metal, and stone were all under my belt. The highlight of the weekend was a call from Luke to lift the monotony of my sculpting. I was glad that he never pressured to me to actually meet up in public; I'm quite social-phobic. It was nice to have someone to talk to, while still being able to focus on me.

That night, I slept soundly. Autumn was in the air, and I dreamed happily of the future. If I was so successful at sculpting, who knew what else I could do with my life?! I was practically tingling with possibility as I dreamed the night away.

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
Re: The Curse of the Artist - Week 01 Update
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Alright, there's the first installment. I've got the next few updates in the wings, but I am really tired now. lol More soon!

loveSims

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
I love your story! It is very nicely done. :) Your sim was a busy bee for sure!

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »
I love your story! It is very nicely done. :) Your sim was a busy bee for sure!

Thank you! I'm probably going to resize the images for Michelle's intro post. I love sims who are busy all the time! It's never a dull moment in my sim world! lol

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

Week Two: Autumn Skies

The next week brought a definite chill to the air. One deep breath outside confirmed my hopes: autumn is here! I hurried back inside to create a new wardrobe. After all, I could get sick running around in a tank top and short shorts! I centered my look around my favorite color, yellow, and tried to give it an artistic flair. Of course, I have never really been a fashionista. Clothes are practical, in my opinion. But that doesn't mean I don't like to show off my new look!

Obviously, I didn't need a new swimsuit: it's already too chilly for that! This week started out quite strangely. I was out sculpting in the back when I felt a distinct chill in the air. Apparently, a stray cat died on the front lawn! The grim reaper came to take it's soul to the other side and the kitty jumped happily into his arms. After witnessing this touching scene, I decided to make a little memorial to the unknown feline in the backyard. After all, everyone deserves to be remembered. Here's to you, Stray Cat!

It's weird, but grief has been incredibly inspirational to artists of all ages. I couldn't escape the melancholy (though I never knew the cat), and I made a beautiful sculpture in memory of the scruffy feline. It was my best sculpture. When I finished, I knew that I had finally become a great sculptor. There was nothing left for me to learn. I had mastered a skill!

I got a wonderful call from Luke. He was having a bad day, but seemed cheered when I told him all about the strange happenings around my property. I guess my odd life distracted him from his sorry life. The easy way we chatted and laughed made me realize that I have a true friend here in Riverview. I can never think of him romantically (there is quite an age gap), but I love that I always have someone I can talk to anytime I need!

After all the hubbub, I decided it was time to try a new skill. I already had an easel and I was still feeling particularly creative, so I picked up a brush and started painting. It turned out to be more difficult than sculpting. Before, the block of wood/stone/clay spoke to me; coming up with a wonderful image was easy. Painting was almost boring in comparison, and I quickly began to lose hope that I would be a multi-dimensional artist, that I would be forever stuck only sculpting.

I needed to get out of the house. I was going stir crazy and that wasn't helping my creative juices. I checked the mail and received a certificate to commemorate my achievements in sculpting. That just slid me even further down the depression tube, so I jumped on my beck and got the heck out of there. I tried going to several places in town to clear my head, finally settling on one of the many parks. The beautiful flowers, birds, and trees finally inspired me. I found an extra boost of creativity and happiness. I rushed home to paint, feeling the creative juices flowing!

There was a bit of the supernatural happening around midweek. I know it's the ghost of the stray cat, but I didn't mind. The little ghostie kept me company without making me feel too terribly uncomfortable. There was an incident with the stove, but for the most part she just wandered around and slept on the couch. It's nice having a pet that you don't have to feed or toilet train!

Unfortunately, a silent ghost kitty wasn't the worst of my problems this week. One night, while I was sleeping soundly, my alarm went off! I was confused until I realized that someone must be breaking in! I rushed into the living room just as the police officer showed up and kicked that crook's butt! Nothing was stolen and the criminal was hauled off to jail. I will be forever thankful to my dad for installing that security system, even though I thought he was crazy at first. Apparently there ARE people out there who want to steal my junk!

When Luke found out what had happened to me, he decided to throw a big party to help raise my spirits. I'm not normally a social butterfly, but I couldn't refuse my friend. I got to his house early, before all the other guests so I watched some tv. I don't own one and even after watching for an hour, I had no desire to buy one. Guests started to show up, so I drug myself out of my hidey-hole and tried to mingle. I met some snooty lady, but she seemed a bit aloof for me. After only a polite chat, she went to talk to other people. I decided that I'd rather just go home and sleep, so I thanked Luke and hightailed it out of there.

I finished the week hiding out in my house. I was able to churn out lots of paintings. Some were good, some were bad, and some were brilliant! I was finally feeling more confident in my brush skills. I even hung a couple of the paintings on my walls. I think I might build a gallery soon to showcase my work. That will have to wait though, until I can earn some money and hone my skills even further.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

loveSims

Re: The Curse of the Artist - Week 02 Update
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »
I didn't think I ever saw that last painting! You described how a loner feel about parties very well.
 Can't wait to see what happen next. :)

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »
I didn't think I ever saw that last painting! You described how a loner feel about parties very well.
 Can't wait to see what happen next. :)

I hadn't ever seen it before either. I hung it up because it's yellow, lol. I don't play with any custom content except a few patterns from the exchange and personal recolors, so everything you see is in the base game, one of the expansions/stuff packs, or store.

Offline Spork-tastic

• Immortal
  • Keeping it Spork Since 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
I hadn't ever seen it before either. I hung it up because it's yellow, lol. I don't play with any custom content except a few patterns from the exchange and personal recolors, so everything you see is in the base game, one of the expansions/stuff packs, or store.
Oh really? I thought you did! Oh well  ;D. I like your story so far! I too love yellow.

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »

Week Three: Winter Blues

It's definitely gotten colder. I've had to knit myself a long yellow scarf just to keep warm! It's not the prettiest thing, but hey, I'm no fashion designer! I've had to completely revamp my wardrobe (again!) to accommodate the cold weather. I'm sad that I won't be seeing snow here in Riverview, but I've got more important things to worry about... like painting!

I have been creating an average of two paintings a day so far. I've sold most of them so I can save up some money. There are plenty of buyers around town who seem to be enamored with my work. Some of what I've done hasn't been so great, but hey, if you're buying I'll sell! Haha! My life has actually been pretty boring for the most part... painting all day, go to bed, get up, paint all day. I feel like I need a change but I don't know what.

Midweek I took some time to remember the lost Stray Cat. Her spirit hasn't visited me in a while, which only makes me feel even more lonely. I got so down on myself that I started crying! Luckily none of the neighbors were around to see my breakdown... I'm sure they think I'm strange enough!

After my little pity-party, I decided that I needed to get out of the house. I had almost run out of lettuce, so going to the grocery would be a good excuse to clear my head. The girl behind the counter was very friendly, and they even had several things I needed on sale! I felt a little bit better once I left, but something still was bugging me. When I got home, I found my trash can had been knocked over! There was trash all over my yard. All of my cheerfulness at going out was gone in a flash as I had to pick up old juices bottles and rancid lettuce.

The next morning I got a surprise call from Luke. It had been a while since we talked, and he said that he was coming over that afternoon with a little surprise. He told me to dress nice and be ready at two o'clock. I was excited and curious, so it was hard to distract myself until he got there! I made some grilled cheese so that we would have something to eat and waited eagerly.

SURPRISE! Luke showed up with a birthday cake! I had completely forgotten it was my birthday! I have no idea how he knew, but I was so thankful that all I could do was clap and exclaim excitedly. He knew that I wouldn't want a lot of people there, so it was just the two of us. Luke is such a great friend! After we had cake, I turned on the radio so we could have a little entertainment. Luke really knows how to boogie for an old guy! This was the best birthday and a great way to embark on my new adventure: adulthood!

The next day, I was in such a good mood that I decided to paint again. Lo and behold, I painted something quite brilliant! My buyer loved it and gave me quite a good price for it before the paint had even dried! I was so happy that I vowed the next day I would celebrate my birthday again with a bit of sightseeing and relaxation.

I started my Day of Relaxation with a trip to the spa. I had never been pampered before, so I only got a basic massage. But I left feeling totally refreshed and relaxed. I had been wanting to check out the Bistro in town, so after I got done at the spa I went on over. I ended up eating all by myself, outside, but the food was amazingly delicious! I ate so much that I feared I might be sick! It would have been too much work to bike on home on that full of a stomach, so I took my book over to the park and read until the food had a chance to digest. It was a cheesy romance novel, but reading brought back my sense of loneliness. I knew that it was time to have someone new in my life... but who?

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
Oh really? I thought you did! Oh well  ;D. I like your story so far! I too love yellow.

Yellow is my personal favorite color, so it ends up being my sims favorite color  lot too! lol

loveSims

Re: The Curse of the Artist - Chapter 3
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »
She is so lonely! I hope she find someone soon.

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »

Week Four: Hope Springs Eternal

Now that I'm a "responsible" adult, I figured I should have a wardrobe that reflects my new place in life. I decided to exchange my comfy clothing for something a bit more respectable. As a master of two skills and a well-known artist around Riverview, I had to look the part of a professional! Besides, it has gotten much too warm for sweaters and scarves! I think I did a pretty good job for someone who hates fashion, don't you?

The first day of the week, I finally mastered painting. I have been toying with the idea of creating my own gallery on the property to showcase my work. But that will be a long way off because right after I finished mastering the painting skill, I instantly realized how I was going to cure my loneliness!

I whipped out my cell phone and made one simple call... to the adoption agency! I had always felt drawn toward children, and the prospect of having my own little artistic protege appealed to me greatly. I didn't need a man or spouse of any kind to be happy: a child would give me a purpose and help leave a legacy when I am dead and gone. I had a bit of money saved up, so I added a nursery onto the house. I decorated it all in blue because when I was a baby my room was decorated in blue. After wading through oceans and oceans of paperwork, a social worker finally dropped off my little girl!

Everyone, please say hello to Coco Angel! She is a Genius and a Virtuoso, but since she's just a toddler, I have plenty of time to instill a love of art into her! We totally hit it off the first day, especially after I showed her the new little outfits I'd bought her. Maybe she is just excited by new things after living in the orphanage, but I really think I might have a little fashionista on my hands! Hopefully when she's older she'll give her old mom a glamorous makeover!

I knew that caring for a child would be difficult, but I never knew exactly how hard it would be! I didn't want to deal with diapers, so I set straight to teaching Coco to use the little potty chair in her bedroom. She took to it like paint to a canvas! Unfortunately, this was almost as revolting as changing a diaper! UGH the smell was unbearable! But I didn't want to be responsible for having a child sent to school in a diaper still, so I sucked it up and cleaned the little potty after each use.

Since potty training was so successful, I next tackled the task of teaching Coco to talk. After all, I needed someone to talk to around the house! It was a rocky start, but finally Coco said her first word: BAKE! Hmm... cooking isn't really one of my interests, but I guess Coco can't be a carbon copy of me. Besides, she probably just wanted a cookie. All kids love cookies!

Finally, I took on the most daunting task of all: teaching Coco to walk. Considering that she might one day be walking the runways of France, it was a little intimidating to know that I was the one who would lay that foundation. Sucking up my insecurities, I set to work. Thankfully, Coco took to walking the fastest of all her skills! I was so proud I thought I would burst! My little girl was growing up just right!

To celebrate all of Coco's achievements, I decided to take her out and show her some of my favorite places in Riverview. After all, this would be her home, too! We walked down to the bookstore and browsed a bit. Coco was grabbing at the fashion magazines even though I tried to interest her in some children's books. She knows what she likes! I just don't know how great a future in fashion will be for my daughter. Though that's probably just my mother voice coming through; after all, my mother didn't want me to move so far away to focus on art!

Now that Coco is a bit more independent, I could try my hand at my newest skill: inventing. I settled Coco in the living room with plenty of toys where I could hear her if she started crying and headed to my little inventing room. It was small and dark, but I didn't mind. I liked the solitude. I had a bit of scrap metal saved up, so I got to inventing. I was still feeling inspired by my little girl, so I decided to invent a toy for her! I think she really liked it when I gave it to her to play with.

Skilling and raising a toddler is incredibly stressful! Although I didn't have to wake up for any late night diaper changes anymore, Coco required a lot of attention. When I wasn't playing peek-a-boo and handing out bottles, I was in my inventing room hammering away. By the end of the week, I had been working so hard that I really needed a bath... my reflection in the mirror definitely seemed stressed! So I put Coco to bed and sunk down into the warm, soapy water. A simple reward for a hard week!

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering, here is what the house layout looks like now with the two new additions of the nursery and my inventing room. It's just the right size, I think!

Offline Spork-tastic

• Immortal
  • Keeping it Spork Since 2011
Re: The Curse of the Artist - Chapter 4
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
The house looks great. Welcome Coco (love the name). The baby will cure her loneliness.

anything