Author Topic: Living Outdoors  (Read 12200 times)

Teatoo

Re: Living Outdoors
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
The thing is, I'll have to keep going back for more shower in a cans, because they'll be starting with the normal amount of money and won't be able to afford an endless supply. I've decided to just make them inappropriate. I was thinking of making them hippies so they can just seem inappropriate to people who don't share their beliefs.  :D It actually sort of makes sense. This means I'll just need a toilet and a sink. Hopefully I'll start this family tonight. They're going to start with the normal amount of money and earn more to create a garden paradise. I've never really bothered with decorating gardens before so this will be interesting.  :) One of the Sims will be a sculptor and the other will be a gardener and a fisher. I'm going to try and make them survive in their garden with no help from anyone else or any other lots. I might post the family's story in the Share your Sims 3 Stories section. :)

Offline Telsey

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
This sounds like such fun!  A camping experience on the banks of the river or something.  I hope you do post the story and share it with us.  I would love to see how it works

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »
If you haven't made your sims yet, another trait you might like would be technophobe, seems like it would work well with your challenge.

Teatoo

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »
This sounds like such fun!  A camping experience on the banks of the river or something.  I hope you do post the story and share it with us.  I would love to see how it works
Okay, well here's an update on how their lives are going! :)

Their names are Hope Peace and Arthur 'Art' Peace.

Hope's traits:
Loves the Outdoors
Inappropriate
Green Thumb
Angler
Eco-Friendly

Art's traits:
Loves the Outdoors
Inappropriate
Artistic
Savvy Sculptor
Eco-Friendly

At the moment they are boyfriend and girlfriend. I made them both young adults. After creating them I built their garden. I'm quite pleased with how it came out, I'm very unexperienced with landscaping on The Sims and this is the first time I've really put an effort in. It was quite fun! I bought them a 40X40 lot but the garden only takes up just over a quarter of that. There's a little dirt patch with a two sleeper tent (Art had to take a quick trip to China!) surrounded by rocks and bushes. Around the edge of the garden are quite a few trees, and under the trees is a pond. There's some decorative clothes hanging and a fire pit, as well as a sculpting station. A stone path leads round to the toilet shack, hidden behind the trees. They're both Inappropriate so they can take a sponge bath in the sink.

I've only played as them for a few Sims hours last night, I'll hopefully go back again today. After Art returned from China I sent Hope out to the supermarket, to buy some lettuces and tomatoes to plant. That will probably be the last time I visit a community lot, at least for a while. I might go to the park. She went along on her bike and got a good moodlet. When she got back she planted them all and got up to Level 1 in Gardening. She got some other fruits in her inventory from it, and planted the two grapes. She then got to Level 2 in Gardening. They're planted at the front of the garden. They'll probably be my food and I'll plant other more expensive crops behind the pond. Oh, she also became Self-Employed in Gardening, as did Art but in Sculpting, forgot to mention that earlier. After that her gardening was done and she did a little bit of fishing. She didn't catch anything but got to Level 1. By that time she was getting hungry and I fed her one of the lettuces in her inventory.

While all that was going on, Art was busy working on his sculpting. He managed to get up to Level 3, and sculpted a Rory's Display Pedestal - Egypt and a sink, both out of clay. He had just started sculpting something out of wood before I went off the Sims.

So, that's their lives so far, I'll post some screenshots of the garden and Hope and Art later, as they're not on this computer. :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »
Telsey, now that you're ready to start writing the actual story, you can start a topic on the Stories board of the Forum.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline ik

• Townie
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 06:40:39 AM »
The thing is, I'll have to keep going back for more shower in a cans, because they'll be starting with the normal amount of money and won't be able to afford an endless supply.
If you spend your time abroad chasing down relics and selling them you will have enough money for a huge batch of showers in no time. My Nectar Challenge sims were as good as broke when they went to France, but by the time they went back home (9 days with lifetime rewards) they had bought 8 nectar making machines, lots of books and other stuff, and still had more than 30k simoleons in their household funds.

I have made my sims live their first few weeks without either toilet or shower/tub several times. Just place them on a lot moderately close to a community lot with a bathroom, and you will get by pretty well using the facilities there. The nectar challenge girls for example lived on the empty lot near the beach in Sunset Valley, and jogged up the slope to the community pool for 10 weeks or so, before I broke down and built them a 2x2 hut with a shower/tub combo (they no longer needed a toilet by than due to the steel bladder ltr).

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 06:50:18 AM »
I don't know what is going to happen to outdoor living if they ever have weather.  I remember in sims2, if you forgot to add on a tiny bit of roof and it rained or snowed, your sims would go nuts, waving their arms and saying  somthing about the weather.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »
lol, I remember that too. I was always forgetting to a add a roof to houses only to find my sim complaining about the weather in their house. If we ever get weather in TS3 the outdoor living folk may have to make do with just a roof on posts, like what they put over tables in some parks.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »

I forgot to do that too.  Well, if they come out with weather, Metro will not be too happy, lol, most of the sims he starts are outdoors, but I don't think we will have to worry about that for a while.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Telsey

• Townie
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Oh the missing roof sections was so funny.  I'd add onto a house and then all of a sudden notice people in that room in winter coats.  It was too funny!  I miss the weather sometimes.  There are a lot of things I miss from Sims2 although I do like Sims3 too.  I miss the pets. 

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
I want memories, like in TS2! Why'd they remove them?  :(
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Telsey

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
Pam I hate to start anything that I might get too attached to until I get my game stable.  Funny thing is my game play is so smooth and nice but I just have those monster kids.  I haven't tried it since I got rid of everything and remembered to get it out of the trash can also and I did a defrag also.

Offline Telsey

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »
Hey Teatoo, any chance for a picture of your garden?  This just sounds fascinating to me.  I never tried living outside before with no bathroom, etc.

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »
The Oasis home you can buy in Egypt is one of my favorites.  It's so simple and it combines the freedom of living outside with the luxury of having a roof over your head.

Teatoo

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
Okay, the family has been going great. I'm on Day 3 at the moment, and other than a quick trip to the supermarket to buy enough vegetables to last me until the harvest, they haven't left the garden. When I can get on my other computer I'll put the pictures of the garden up, Telsey. Oh and I do have a bathroom, there was no other option except for letting them wet themselves. I've got a tiny shack with a toilet and a sink. They're inappropriate so they can have sponge baths in the sink. :)

Okay Pam, I'll put this in to the story section now.