Author Topic: Living Outdoors  (Read 12196 times)

Teatoo

Living Outdoors
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »
I was thinking of creating a family who live solely outdoors. I need some ideas on how I could make this challenge really interesting. I was thinking they could grow their own food and fish. I could get them tents, buy a fire pit and use terrain paints to create a little campground for them. I'm going to need some way for them to go to the toilet - will I have to buy a toilet for that? Is there no other way, because I can't think of any. Also, I might have a problem with hygiene. Does anybody have any ideas about how I could solve that?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Living Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
I do this all of the time. I call it the "bear in the woods" technique. It's quite simple. All you do is throw beds, showers, stoves, refrigerators, whatever...outside. A toilet does need a single section of wall to butt up against. I always put my burglar alarm directly above the toilet since it needs a wall too. And it's just classy, right? The issue you'll run into is the kids won't use an "open" toilet with anyone else around. The toilet stall remedies that simply enough and adds to your campground look. But, then you'd need one more section of wall for an alarm.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Teatoo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
I really want to have as little furniture as possible. I suppose I could make a little shed with a toilet in it, it wouldn't really ruin the outdoors theme. Is there any way around hygiene? A sink in the shed might work, I don't really want a shower.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »
I've seen some Sims do a sponge bath in a sink when there's no tub or shower available, but it doesn't happen all the time so I'm not sure exactly what triggers the sponge bath interaction.  You could also travel and buy a tent and some Shower in a Can if you have World Adventures installed.  Another option is to use the public toilets and the showers at the gym.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »
Will sims still have a sponge bath in a sink? I know they would in sims 2 but I haven't seen it in TS3. They just throw a want for a bath tub or shower.
One way you could do it, but it still means having the things, is to build a small shed right up the back of your block to house the shower and toilet then surround it with lots of trees and bushes, you could even make them have to follow a heavily wooded path to get there.
I haven't noticed children not wanting to use an open toilet (mainly because by the time my sims have kids they can afford a closed in bathroom) but I have noticed visitors will not use an open bathroom.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:45:03 PM »
I haven't noticed children not wanting to use an open toilet (mainly because by the time my sims have kids they can afford a closed in bathroom)...

And that's why you haven't noticed it, Norma. In a no-wall situation, kids will try and shoo parents.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »
Will sims still have a sponge bath in a sink? I know they would in sims 2 but I haven't seen it in TS3. They just throw a want for a bath tub or shower.

I've seen it at least twice. Most recently it was in China at the market. My Sim took a sponge bath in the restroom there.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 12:47:46 AM »
To take a sponge bath, you need the inappropriate trait.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 04:44:18 AM »
To take a sponge bath, you need the inappropriate trait.
Yeah, and they will shoo people around.

Actually, there is one way around the toilet need: Just let it go! When the bladder need is down, it will go up again. You'll lose hygiene, but that can be fixed with a sponge bath! ;D
Thus, the sink can solve two needs.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 04:47:23 AM »
You could use 'moveobjects on' to place the toilet without a wall?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Teatoo

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
I don't really want them to just let it go. xD I'm happy to have a little shed with a toilet and a sink. I don't really want to make the family inappropriate, and I was wondering if I could just repeatedly wash their hands and brush their teeth in the sink? Would I be able to keep their hygiene up that way?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »
I don't really want them to just let it go. xD I'm happy to have a little shed with a toilet and a sink. I don't really want to make the family inappropriate, and I was wondering if I could just repeatedly wash their hands and brush their teeth in the sink? Would I be able to keep their hygiene up that way?

You might be able to do that, but it adds so very little to the hygiene bar that you'd be at the sink all day!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »
I don't know if that will work. I have tried to do it when the hygiene is down when I don't have time to take a bath and by the time you get the washing the second time the effects from the first time are almost completely gone. But if you get wash every now and then and never let it get low at all then it might. Like wash them every hour or every other hour which ever is needed to try and keep it up. Good luck!

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
I don't know if this will help you. I had a very flirty homeless Sim. (His wife threw him out) and he kept using the "Can I stay over" at other Sims homes.

When he started getting smelly I sent him to the 24 hour gym to shower.

Offline sydney511

• Occult
  • R.I.P. Edel - Jan. 14, 1996 - Jul. 02, 2011
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
This seems like a version of Sims 2 Castaway! Oh, how I love that game. As for showers, I'm sorry to say, if you REALLY don't want one, you'll have to make all the sims inappropriate, although it sounds like you have WA, so you can get a bunch of Shower in a Cans, as well as some dry food and tents. I would take a short 3-day trip to China and get everything you need and then you're set to play!