Author Topic: Pictures sims have painted  (Read 328778 times)

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
Re: Pictures sims have painted
« Reply #315 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:17 AM »
The above one is The Birth of Venus by Botticelli, which depicts how she rises from the ocean. EDIT: This is the real one
The middle one, I don't actually know.
The bottom one is Un dimanche après-midi à l'île de la Grande Jatte ("Sunday afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte" I think it's called in English) by Georges Seurat EDIT: This is the real one
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
The above one is The Birth of Venus by Botticelli, which depicts how she rises from the ocean. EDIT: This is the real one
The middle one, I don't actually know.
The bottom one is Un dimanche après-midi à l'île de la Grande Jatte ("Sunday afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte" I think it's called in English) by Georges Seurat EDIT: This is the real one

Wow, that is amazing, how do you guys find this stuff.  I know, I know, google and wiki, maybe I need to read more, lol.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »
Actually, when I went to find the pictures of them to show you I checked on wikipedia, but I remember in those horrible Art classes I had at (correspondingly) Junior High that the only things I found fun was to read through a bit of those large picture-rich books they had. Couple that with a good memory and you can at least remember these well-known things (I'm not so interested nor good at art theory). LOL Maybe the factor is just to read more. :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »
This is true Swede, my memory isn't what it use to be. lol

I finally had a sim that painted that picture that looked like three mexicans, I know I saw it on here and someone made a comment about it.  I had wanted one of my sims to paint it, like forever and finally got one.  Not selling that one, hung that one on the wall.  Think I will look that one up and see if I can find something about it on my own.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Holmes

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »
Caution: technical and mostly boring post with a smidgen of interesting info for a few. I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I was intrigued by how the game "decides" what painting styles your Sim will execute. This post on page 7 of this thread by Snooty got me started:
Copied from MATY:
No Trait          - If your sim has no other traits, he will always paint the basic version of the painting.
Artistic           - Gives a water-color effect to the painting, though with highlighted border effects on the object of the painting.
Can't Stand Art - Darkens the painting with higher contrast and heavier, thicker brush strokes.
Computer Whiz - Gives the painting a square-tiled effect, obliterating any detail.
Evil                - Tints the picture heavily towards red, most details are left intact.
<snip>
Apologies if someone else has mentioned this, (I admit to not reading the entire 32 pages!), but I found Snooty's post very interesting. Though generally accurate, it didn't seem to explain everything, since I know I've gotten lots of genius-type paintings without being a genius at all. Strange.

I was trying to figure out how sculpting and painting work (thinking of trying out the Da Vinci challenge). I happened to be spelunking around in the GamePlayData package, and uncovered the following information, summarized in user-friendly fashion. Apparently both traits and moodlets can influence your Sim's art:

Moodlets that "force" various painting styles: (I don't think in fact these styles are forced in the sense that they are a 100% outcome, but that's the term used in the XML):
  • Somber paintings: Desolate, Disappointed, Heart Broken, Lost A Friend, Mourning, Bored, Embarrassed, Feeling Unlucky, Humiliated, Lonely, Rejected Proposal, Upset, Buzz Crashed.
  • Genius paintings: Buzzed, Divine Meal, Intrigued, Honor Student, Learning Quickly, Tranquil

I assume -- but have not proven -- that the style is applied when the painting is started.

Traits that force/unlock various painting styles:
  • Forced Somber: Can't Stand Art, Grumpy
  • Forced Insane: Over Emotional, Insane, Neurotic, Never Nude.
  • Forced Genius: (wait for it, this is going to be astounding and game changing) Genius
  • Unlocked Somber: Artistic, Grumpy
  • Unlocked Insane: Artistic, Insane
  • Unlocked Genius: Artistic, Genius
So it kind of makes sense... if you have an Artistic sim, a lot of styles will be unlocked. If you're in certain moods, that can affect your painting style.

I will repeat: I don't think "Forced" is quite the right English word to use here as I don't think you will 100% get a genius painting if (say) you have a Divine Meal moodlet, but experimentation does seem to verify that it's considerably more likely.

For any interested, the entry I'm talking about is called by the user-friendly name PaintingSkill_0xc50c42ca983f12cf (yes, really!) in the file GamePlayData.package, in the base game.

Cheers,
-Holmes

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2010, 03:53:18 AM »
I've never seen my over-emotional painter paint insane, however, her artistic trait might supersede it.

I assume -- but have not proven -- that the style is applied when the painting is started.
Although I can concur to this.  When a computer whiz begins to paint his stylization, you can notice the pixelation almost immediately.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline TollingBells

• Occult
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2010, 06:55:08 AM »
Hey, guys, I pointed out some more historical ones a few pages back.  ;) I did Venus and Grand Jatte. I'm going to have to try to get a somber painting, thanks for the info, Holmes
You don't have to feel like a waste of space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew, what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow

-Katy Perry, Fireworks

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Happytime

• Townie
  • "There you have it, there it is." ~Buckaroo Banzai
« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »
Thanks for your post, Holmes.  :)

"Forced" as you are reporting seeing it used in the code is a technical term / jargon used in gramma-based or genetic programming techniques.

I'm sure, between just the assorted fixed traits of the Sim, and the variable moodlettes / buffs the Sim's experiencing as they paint, it gets pretty messy down there in the caves! hehe

-- Happytime

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #323 on: August 12, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
Hey, guys, I pointed out some more historical ones a few pages back.  ;) I did Venus and Grand Jatte.
Ha, ha, I see that now! I assure you, I hadn't seen that when I came with my know-it-all remark. :)

Offline Holmes

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #324 on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
@HappyTime Interesting, thanks for the info, and the link.
just the assorted fixed traits of the Sim, and the variable moodlettes / buffs the Sim's experiencing as they paint, it gets pretty messy down there in the caves!
Heh, yep, looking through the XML the last couple of nights makes me really boggle at the complexity and the layering of modern game design.

@Danefaith Agreed, I've never seen any of my overemotional painters paint insane, but like yours, they are almost always artistic.

Offline Happytime

• Townie
  • "There you have it, there it is." ~Buckaroo Banzai
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2010, 12:02:26 AM »
Holmes, not a problem. I just think it's flat-out amazing the processors are getting fast enough now-a-days for folks to use such advanced techniques (or a portion / subset of the techniques) in an "off-the-shelf" game. Of course, that ramps up the complexity of the underlying code, but I doubt many problems folks have with the Sims3 have to do with the genetic algorithms messing with the game, I suspect they are much higher-up in the code chain.

When I've done "painting skill tests" I've tried to keep as many of the moodlette buffs the same / at least have my Sims in a "Fulfilled" state, simply because I've always suspected the moodlette buffs are directly affecting the value of the "completed" painting.

I've not really done enough tests to know how the "personality traits" impact the paintings, I know Metro's Sims have probably painted several thousand paintings ... and I'm sure he's surprised once-in-a-while.

-- Happytime

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2010, 12:56:04 AM »
My experience with the insane trait comes from the asylum challenge, where the insane are also absent-minded and unplayable by me (except for one). You can probably imagine how rarely one actually finishes a painting!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Livewire

« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
hello

http://i36.tinypic.com/hukpr6.jpg

the best my sim have made so far :)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:42 PM »
That's amazing! I thought there was just a small set of paintings possible. Is it worth it to make a painter just to see what new ones come up?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
That's amazing! I thought there was just a small set of paintings possible. Is it worth it to make a painter just to see what new ones come up?

Yes, probably so.  I think EA continues to add new paintings to the game.  It's almost like they're endless.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."