Author Topic: Is time-traveling safe?  (Read 15895 times)

Offline Kaye

• Kooky, Cutie, KIRBY!!!!
  • Immortal
  • Cute, quirky girl
    • Kaye's Sim Stories
Is time-traveling safe?
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
My sim just invented a time machine and got a wish to travel to future. Is that safe and what happens?
The outside is quiet, but the inside is on full blast.

The Aley Legacy
The Gemstone Legacy
Serene Stars Hotel
Cherry Blossom Daycare Center

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Is time-traveling safe?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »
The only dangerous thing is the risk of bringing back a child. If you go to the Future, you may bring back an Elder Sim which will be marked as your Sims' offspring, and if you go to the Past, you may bring back a Teenage or YA Sim who will, again, be marked as your Sims' offspring. The odds of this happening are fairly slim, but they happen more regularly than meteors.
Otherwise, your Sim just disappears into the Time Machine as if it were a Rabbit Hole, and they come back in a few (Sim) Hours. They can bring back valuable books, gems, gnomes, metals and other objects.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Kaye

• Immortal
  • Cute, quirky girl
    • Kaye's Sim Stories
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »
Oh, okay. By the way, the inventor is a child sim.

The Aley Legacy
The Gemstone Legacy
Serene Stars Hotel

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:13 AM »
Hi Kaye, I've moved your thread to the right board. Don't worry, your Sim can't die from Time Travel, but it's possible they may get a new Sim added to the household as the child of your Sim. Also, travelling to the past can change the career of someone in your household. To prevent accidents, it's best to save your game before you travel.

Oops, looks like Seabody beat me to it.  :P

EDIT: Huh, I don't know if your Sim can have a kid with the Time Machine if they're only a child themself. Still, better safe than sorry!

Offline Kaye

• Immortal
  • Cute, quirky girl
    • Kaye's Sim Stories
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:45:31 AM »
I had a feeling it was the wrong board, but I wasn't sure which one would be right.

By the way, a child Sim can't even use the time machine. She has to wait until she's a teen, which will be in four sim days.

The Aley Legacy
The Gemstone Legacy
Serene Stars Hotel

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
Oh, okay. By the way, the inventor is a child sim.

I don't think a child can use a time machine.  You'll have to wait for teen, or even YA.  Adding to the list of things they bring back are some great clothes (which I wish I could use without time travel!) the past brings back some medieval  and caveman outfits, from the future are two different 'space suits'.  But these aren't common, but fun none the less!

Offline eastbankbabs123

• Llama Wrangler
  • Don't do anything I'd do.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »
I once got my couple to 'Try for Baby' in the future and a few days later... Boom! Twins! Elders too. I guess this was my fault, and really panicked, honestly, I was planning on killing them because my sims had just had some kids and I really didn't want them. The game crashed just as the two clambered out of the time machine. Luckily I had saved a few minuets before as my child had aged up. I sold the time machine, end of problem.

But I don't think it's dangerous, apart from the slim chance of having a new addition to the family.

"I have to many friends I can't even remember some of their names" -Paris Hilton

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
You say slim chance, but ;D

One previous Dynasty I was playing once had this terrible scenario:

I had purchased a Time Machine from the Consignment store. The first time - the very first time - the heir (as YA) went into the past. And came back with a girl child - I think her name was Shelley. I became curious - what is the chance of having a time machine baby? So I made a copy of the save.

YA Shelley went into the past. First attempt, came back with a daughter whose name escapes me (I want to say Janette or Janelle or something).

YA daughter went into the past. First attempt, came back with a son named Ralph.

YA Ralph went into the past. First attempt, came back with a son named Alfred.

Then I installed Generations and the the test file and original Dynasty glitched.

I don't use Time Machines anymore.

Offline Kaye

• Immortal
  • Cute, quirky girl
    • Kaye's Sim Stories
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
Hahaha! You must be lucky (or unlucky)! I've never had that happen even once!

The Aley Legacy
The Gemstone Legacy
Serene Stars Hotel

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
It was like I had gotten ahold of some bad dice or something!

My current Dynasty is planning for an Inventor, she'll be going into the future only.

Offline skybaker

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
What will be the result of a meteorite hit on the time machine while time travelling?
I really eager to experience once.
Now I realize playing the Sims 3 on Mac is playing the game of installation and uninstallation...

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
It would be really bad luck.

I've never actually experienced a meteor strike ever, so I couldn't say. I would assume nothing would happen except your Sim screaming, "WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE?!" upon coming back to their own time. The Time Machine does a weird "phasing" effect while travelling.

HannahEloiseee

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
Can I ask, has anybody time-traveled and gotten a sim child without trying for a baby before hand? Because I did ages ago and I was wonder if this is still possible? And if so, will my sim have to travel to the past or the future?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 09:05:28 AM »
I've gotten a child come out of the time machine with a YA female before and all she did was travel to the past.   It came out with her after she had been gone.  I've also had teenagers come from going to the past and elders come from the future all belonging to a single YA that had just traveled.  She was married but didn't do the try for baby with her husband in the time machine.  They just happened and they were only hers.  Her husband was step-father to the kids.

Just wanted to bring back up something Ausette said, by traveling to the past there is a chance for your Sim to change the career of another sim in the house.   I've had a dynasty fail because someone went into the past and they changed an immortals career to level 10 of the same career of another immortal.   When I asked Metro about this, he said that it's one of the dangers of using the time machine so it's a risk you accept when using it.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Kaye

• Immortal
  • Cute, quirky girl
    • Kaye's Sim Stories
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
Dang. That's a bummer.

All I've gotten so far is items and that's it. I will admit to having my sims woohoo in there from time to time.  ::)

The Aley Legacy
The Gemstone Legacy
Serene Stars Hotel

anything