Author Topic: Question About Organizing CC  (Read 7612 times)

deknbluz

Question About Organizing CC
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »
Obviously, I'm interested in organizing my CC properly.  I've been reading tutorials on Simswiki.info and I'm getting a good handle on this, but I need to clarify somehing.

I just downloaded a little bit of CC, all of it being female outfits from the same artist (for organizational purposes [see, I'm learning]).  I understand the bit about Documents\Mods\Packages\subfolder\subfolder and so on.  However, what I downloaded was a Sims3Pack file, not a .Package file.  If I remember what I read correctly, Sims3Pack files go into the Downloads folder, not the Mods folder tree.  And if I also remember correctly, once I install those files via the launcher, and then delete those files off of the downloads tab of the launcher, that will also delete those files from out of the Downloads folder in My Docs.  If that is true, then how can I organize that content?

Also, I distinctly remember being advised to use the dashboard in order to verify the files as good files with no conflicts, etc.  I assume the dashboard in reference is Delphy's Dashboard.  I just discovered that Delphy's Dashboard only works with .package files, not Sims3Pack files.  If that's true, then how can I verify files of this type?

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
Re: Noob question about organizing CC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:36 PM »
You can find more information about how to keep everything more organized and discusses the Delphy Dashboard at this thread: Tips for keeping your mods organized and avoiding conflicts

Here's another one on the Sims 3 store content: Organizing Sims 3 store content

As for the downloads folder, you can completely delete or move the files from the download folder to a completely different location so the launcher loads faster. I haven't actually tested whether or not if you delete it from the launcher if it deletes it from the actual folder. I'd imagine it would though.
I also know that in your Mods folder you can place other folders to categorize your CC, as in making a "clothing" folder, or a "Custom Hair" folder so you can put the associated files with in them. I don't have that much CC to justify putting them in folders like that now but I use too and it worked out great.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Noob question about organizing CC
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
I'm moving this to the Mods board.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

deknbluz

Re: Question About Organizing CC
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:37:55 PM »
Kattiq, thanks for the tip on organizing.  I still don't see how I can use the dashboard to verify files of the sims3pack type.  Is there a different utility?  Otherwise, I'd just be installing content without knowing if it has any problems or not.  Not to be a pain here, but...  I like downloading from TheSimsResource website b/c the library is huge.  The thing with TSR is that all of their files are sims3pack, which doesn't  seem to work with Delphy's Dashboard.  Either that, or I'm just being dumb.

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »
Kattiq, thanks for the tip on organizing.  I still don't see how I can use the dashboard to verify files of the sims3pack type.  Is there a different utility?  Otherwise, I'd just be installing content without knowing if it has any problems or not.  Not to be a pain here, but...  I like downloading from TheSimsResource website b/c the library is huge.  The thing with TSR is that all of their files are sims3pack, which doesn't  seem to work with Delphy's Dashboard.  Either that, or I'm just being dumb.

I personally have never used Delphy because I'm a mac user and I'm too lazy to figure out how to get it to work on it. :P
However, I control my content by only installing a few things at a time, that way if I run into a problem I have less to work with and can narrow down the problemed CC easier. TSR has some good stuff I imagine, I'd just be careful because the library is SO huge. I'd definitely make sure to read the user comments below before downloading. I am pretty sure on TSR that you can actually download the packaged version as well. It's next to the simpack icon and has a little green down arrow button.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:42:47 AM »

Hi deknbluz. Try looking a Look at this thread: How to Install Lots (and other CC) without using the Launcher
The topic also mentions Delphy's CUSTARD Tool, which allows you to peek inside a sims3pack file to see what's in there. Custard will also tell you if anything is corrupt. This tutorital by Crinrict should help you understand the tool. Note: All worlds show up as Corrupt even when they are not.

Also, take a look at CC Magic. It can process your non-Store sims3packs without having to install them through the launcher.

deknbluz

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:04 AM »
Thanks, Nona.  Before I install the Custard tool, just a question: How safe is it?  I saw that it comes with a warning.  If it causes me problems, that would make me cry.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:29:22 AM »
This tool has been around a long time, and never got out of "alpha" stage but it will not harm your computer. The biggest threat is to your sims3packs when you remove cc and save the sims3pack. Just keep a back up of any sims3pack that you intend to alter with this tool (simply looking at a sims3pack will not cause a problem).

ETA: Also, you don't actually "install" the custard tool, you just unzip it into a folder. This means all you have to do to get rid of it is delete the folder where you unzipped it.