Author Topic: Broken Family Tree  (Read 6391 times)

Offline angelcat621

• Happy Cat Servant
  • Llama Wrangler
  • I'm still here everyone!
Broken Family Tree
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
I've recently been experimenting with breeding several hidden traits (immune to fire, pyro, etc.) into my Sim families. When I finished up with one family, I moved the two brothers out of the house and aged them to adults. Then I saved them to the Library. When I placed them into another town for a fresh start, they no longer show up as related to each other! I was upset because I spent days getting just the right traits and raising them up. It is important that they remain related, due to being part of a story I have in mind.

My question is, is there any way to ensure the family tree stays intact when I split the brothers from the household and move them to another town? I've considered having the parents die (I hate killing my simmies, though) and keep the tombstones/urns in the family or personal inventory, if it will keep the tree intact. Would this work? Or is it a lost cause? My game has no problems otherwise. I have all expansions and stuff packs except Fast Lane, and only use CC from the store. I do NOT use "m-word" of any kind.

I appreciate any and all help I receive. Thank you, everyone.
The cat is cryptic, and close to strange things which men cannot see. -H.P. Lovecraft 

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
Re: Broken Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
If you save only the sims to the bin, they will lose relations. You need to save them as a household with the lot for them to save the family tree - and only the ties between the sims in that household will show up. For example, if you move the brothers to a new file and leave their parents behind, the parents won't show up on the family tree anymore.

I have not tried moving ghosts/graves, but I found a discussion on how to do it here:
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,6143.msg123809.html#msg123809

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline angelcat621

• Happy Cat Servant
  • Llama Wrangler
  • I'm still here everyone!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
Thank you Noodles. I will try keeping the lot next time instead of just saving the Sims to the bin.

I really don't want to keep the parents with them, since the brothers will be starting their own families.

So, for example, if I split the brothers from their parents and saved the brothers with the lot they're on, will they stay brothers or lose that relationship because the parents are gone?

Sorry if I sound dumb. This is my first experience raising families. I usually stick to singles and raising skills.
The cat is cryptic, and close to strange things which men cannot see. -H.P. Lovecraft 

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
So, for example, if I split the brothers from their parents and saved the brothers with the lot they're on, will they stay brothers or lose that relationship because the parents are gone?

They will be brothers, but there won't be any parents listed on the family tree. As long as they share the household when saved to the bin, their relationships will remain, no matter if some of the relatives are missing.
For example, I once split a household (mother, father and daughter) and saved only the mum and the daughter to the bin. When placed to a new town, they were still listed as mother and daughter, but the daughter did not have any father at all on her family tree. So the game still saved the parent-child relation even when the other parent didn't exist.

And don't worry, there are no dumb questions here, I'm sure everyone's willing to help. I'm glad if I could clear this for you. :) You can find many different discussions if you search the General Discussion section with "family tree" as a keyword.

anything