Author Topic: Invisible "Run Here" Action in Queue?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
Invisible "Run Here" Action in Queue?
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but it's gotten worse so I thought I'd ask for help.  My sims are running to a particular spot in between actions.  There are actually three spots: one upstairs in the middle of the bedroom, one at the base of the stairs and one outside at the hot tub.  If I ask a sim to use the toilet and then shower, he will use the toilet, run out into the bedroom as if I'd asked him to "Go Here" and then go right back into the bathroom to shower.  That's the easy version.  The hard version is when they're in the downstairs bathroom and insist on going upstairs to that random spot before using the shower.  Since I've got a spiral staircase and four residents, traffic jams on the stairs are things I want to avoid.  It can happen in between any two actions, though it seems more likely to occur in the morning and decrease as the day progresses.  Any ideas what could be causing this?  Also, as soon as the last sim goes to sleep at night, a few seconds will go by and at least one sim (but sometimes as many as three) will wake up and stand by the bed as if they were fully rested, but they're not.  These two odd behaviors started at about the same time.  I appreciate any suggestions for how to resolve this, even if it's just your best guess!

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
Re: Invisible "Run Here" Action in Queue?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:04:13 AM »
When they wake up and stand by the bed - do they actually go through the wake up/get out of bed animation, or do they just magically appear standing next to the bed?

If they're magically appearing next to the bed, it's a sign that the game has found something wrong with that sim and reset them for you. In a couple of my games I went through this for a night or two, just putting them back to bed immediately, and then the problem apparently resolved itself. 

I've never had sims run to a spot without my involvement, though.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

loveSims

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:39:42 PM »
You can try and replace the beds, toitet, showers and spiral staircase.

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
No, they wake as normal, as if they were waking up on their own, if perhaps after an interruption or less than a full night's sleep, eye rubbing, arm stretching, etc., which makes sense since they're definitely not rested.

I've tried replacing the stairs for a different reason and it made no difference.  If anything, the behavior has increased since then, though I think it's just getting worse and it doesn't have anything to do with the stairs.  As for the other objects, I think those are involved most often because this is when the entire household is being directed by me at the same time rather than working independently on things with little direction from me, i.e. I notice it because I'm involved with them and trying to get everyone ready for the day.  I'll try replacing the most common objects, but it happens with a very wide variety of objects.  Maybe I'll try and catch a video of it tonight to show what I mean.

Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/4Um5ZsiHONw

Now I have some idea of what's happening, though I don't know how to resolve it.  The sims must be acting upon some internal queue, like when they react to something that smells bad.  While Larry, the sim in the upper bunk upon whom Ana was commenting, is often the target of this behavior, he displays it, too, so I don't think it's trait-specific as there's no trait all four of them share.  Furthermore, Larry isn't doing anything to draw Ana's attention, especially from bathroom into the bedroom.  He doesn't smell, he's not being embarassed, he's asleep in bed!  Furthermore, this is the same behavior (pointing and laughing) that happens when the sims wake up on their own right after falling asleep.  They take a very long time to submit to the direction of their queue again afterwards, like you see Ana do as she finally turns to go back into the bathroom and shower at the end of the video.  Help!

loveSims

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
If it is not a challenge you can change active houserholds, move them out and move them back in the same house. Try play them again.

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
Unfortunately, this is my 4X4 family.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
Check with Metro - he's usually pretty good about letting people bend or break the rules in the name of fixing a bona fide bug, and it sounds like you have a bona fide bug. Moving the family out and back into the same lot is a pretty trivial thing; I can't imagine he'd say no.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »
Ugh, I'd have to redecorate, wouldn't I?  That's the biggest reason I haven't sought help and have just tried to tolerate this stuff so far.  It takes me forever to to decorate; once I do it, I'll do anything to avoid doing it again.  I'm halfway through . . .  :(

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
I'm 100% certain I know what's causing this now.  The sims only run to the center of the bedroom when Larry's in bed.  Furthermore, despite what I'd originally thought, Larry never displays this behavior.  During the day, the other household members and any guests will leave what they're doing, go wherever Larry is located and display a number of autonomous actions.  This may go on for an hour before the sim resumes what he or she was doing.  The only time I can guarantee it won't happen is when Larry's not at home.  Given the nature of the actions, I'm confident this is related to Larry's daredevil trait.  It's as if he's performing a daredevil action, like eating a bug, and the other sims are reacting, only Larry's not doing anything at all.  He's sleeping, or writing a novel, or cooking.  I've never been a fan of the autonomous and repetitive self-directed actions (OMG, the toilet won't flush!), but this is a new level of annoying.  I've got two and a half weeks left in the challenge, so I'm sticking it out, but my god, how bothersome!

Offline Banksia

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »
Is it possible to keep Larry eternally busy outside the home?

It reminds me of the BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice"  where Charlotte encourages her husband Mr Collins to be in his garden "as much as possible"

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »
I won't go into details since the challenge is still running (not like I'm gonna win!), but I thought of the same thing and try to do that as much as possible.

loveSims

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 01:44:58 AM »
You can buy Larry a sleeping bag and let him sleep at the park :P

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »
Oh, nice idea!  Heck, I think right off the lot would do!  I might just try that out!