Author Topic: Testing "strength" of Genes  (Read 4288 times)

AbrahamC

Testing "strength" of Genes
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
     Recently I was chatting in the Children born to Original Townies thread and it occurred to ask what makes a gene stronger than another. In this thread I aim to post my own findings as well as welcome anyone help me out with testing and or share their experiences with genetics.

The main things I will be testing is if a gene strength is affected by:
How far back the gene goes in a single line,
How many times the gene is found randomly in the family tree,
How dense a specific gene is within a single generation*
The density of the specific trait in the family tree of Sim A that has children with Sim B when Sim B is fresh from CAS**

*Also which generation started the gene
**Sim B having no family tree to reinforce his/her genes

Easy genes to test Hair color, Skin color, Eye color ect.
Although all genes are up for scrutiny in my personal testing.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Testing "strength" of Genes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »
There are a lot of people who have done genetic Sim experiments.  There seem to be some townies that have stronger genes than others but even they falter on occasion.  I've had Christopher Steel marry a CAS Sim and none of the children got thin lips, blue eyes, brown hair or normal skin tone in some cases and if you ask anyone on this forum, we all believe he has some of the strongest genes in the game.   I can't wait to see your results but I just thought you should know that Sims 3 genetics are far more random than most people can fathom.  Take for instance Samoht04's Character Legacy.  Generation 10 was born with blonde hair and the last people to have blonde hair in his family tree were his great-grandparents. 

Good Luck
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

AbrahamC

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Thank you,
I have been doing a bit of research into this and am finding I have just jumped into the deep end...

Time to see if I can swim.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »
One thing I can contribute is that in my Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty, Christopher Steel's thin lips lasted for 4 generations.  Member Sutz wrote and recorded a song about my Dynasty and she put images of each of the 9 generations in it.  You can see as the pictures transition that they have the same lips until Scarlet.  Click here to see the video.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

AbrahamC

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »
Here we go, the first round of testing has concluded.

The gene having a Single Unbroken line for 5 and 6 generations is no stronger than a CAS gene.
If anyone else has any additional Findings please let me know

Now on to the next set Of tests.

Yay  ::)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:41:30 AM »
As Rica said in my Legacy I had several genes going on at once. These are the hair colours of the Heirs.

1 - Blond
2 - Blond
3 - Black
4 - Blond
5 - Brown
6 - Blond
7 - Black
8 - Black
9 - Black
10 - Blond

From about Generation 5 I had the cursed yellow/green eyes come in with a townie spouse, her eye genes didn't leave until Generation 10, who have a bright turquoise colour from either his Father or Grandmother who was an IF. I can't remember the eye colours from my whole Legacy though. I think though that my Founder would still look quite similar to my Gen 10, he just reminds me of him somehow, probably because I have not had a Blond male since Gen 2.

In my Dynasty, the one I just failed, Christopher Steels mouth stayed until Gen 4 when I failed, I expect it would have continued. I think it's been decided that his mouth is Chris Steels only flaw though.  :P
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

AbrahamC

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:51:38 AM »
The way I have been testing is I always create the new spouse in CAS. This way I know they aren't getting any "reinforced" genes. With this last group I would have to have quite a few nooboos before I get the traits I wanted to continue; Hair color and eye color. Getting both at the same time was sometimes difficult to do as I had very short time from YA birthday to Elder. I was on the shortest life span to save time.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »
I thought I would add the findings from my two dynasties.

The Smiths:
Orange hair.(made in CAS)
Orange hair(with dark haired parent and orange haired parent)
Blond hair(with dark haired parent and orange haired parent)
Blond hair(with blond parents)
Red/brown hair(with blond and red/brown haired parent)
Red/brown hair(with red brown and black haired parents)
Red/brown hair(with red/brown and black haired parent)
Red/brown hair(with red/brown and blond haired parent)

The Khalids:

Black hair with blue tios(Made in CAS)
Blond hair(with black and blond haired parents)
Red hair(With blond and red haired parents and red haired grandparents on mothers side)
Black hair(with red and blond haired parents and blond haired on paternal grandparents side)
Black hair(With black haired parents)
Black hair(With black haired parents)
Black hair(with black haired parents)
Black hair(with black haired parents)

My Smith ladies were all very similar looking they all had the same mouth and nose about the only thing that changed was the eye colour. In my Khalid dynasty the strongest gene came at generation three when Malcolm Landgrab married into the family. After that the women in the family got his rounded face shape.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

AbrahamC

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
ratchie,

Did you happen to still have those save files?
The reason I ask is I would like to know that family trees of the spouses.
I hope I'm not asking too much but it would be a significant help for my current testing. (Density of the trait in the family tree)

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
I am so sorry I have deleted those game files. I do have close up pictures of all the heirs and most of the spouses if that would help.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

AbrahamC

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »
I haven't been keeping that close of records of my testing unfortunately. I have only been taking screen shots of the Family Trees after I complete a test. The rest is recorded in Excel.

So no I wont be needing your clippings.

Thanks all the same,
Abe

AbrahamC

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 07:14:01 AM »
Okay halfway through my second set of tests. Wow this one is taking a lot longer than I thought...

So far it seems to hold up that with more of one gene in the entire tree, the more likely the nooboo will get the trait. My test was to start out with 8 sims from CAS (4 couples) get them all romantic then kick out all the husbands. I went on from there to make sure that half of the babies were boys and half were girls (I love apples/watermelons). I got Lucky my second time around and all my moms had only one kid. I freaked the first time when I got twins. (Arg)

Second generation was easier. After kicking the mothers out after all the kids were YA I got down to it, making the new couples out of the second generation and this time I tried for twins in both families. I got triplets and an only child instead... (aggravating but I could work with that). This third generation I paired the only child with one of the triplets and had to add in two townie descendants as husbands. (This turned out to be convenient as I didn't have to add them to the household.

Fourth generation is the test subjects. I tried and succeeded this time to get twins with the none-townie couple and an only only with the other two. At the point they were all YA I promptly kicked out the moms and the one dad in the house and placed 4 CAS created sims into the household to make the new couples. The thing I used to test was hair color (I had at one point downloaded a hair color set from the exchange. It was black hair with purple highlights and tips). I used the black and purple hair in all the new spouses to be. None of the children of this generation got the gene and just to make sure I ran one more generation, with townie spouses again. None of these children got the gene either.

First round of tests DONE!
I think I'm going to relax for a couple days and just play for fun with the new Pets expansion.

**This was a long post and I read through it twice as well as ran a spell check. If someone finds a mistake in it please let me know. It is 6 am and I haven't slept yet...

I bid you good night,
Abe

AbrahamC

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 08:09:40 AM »
I guess I should start my next round of testing...

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »
I haven't been testing, but I've just started my 9th generation of blue Sims. There hasn't been any intermarrying. The intensity of hue has varied, depending on how dark the other parent was.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

AbrahamC

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 11:42:03 AM »
Sorry I'm having some issues since the latest patch I will post as soon as I can. But this round was putting a hole in the last theory... (at least until I ran into problems)