Author Topic: Forum Tidiness  (Read 22523 times)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Re: Forum Tidiness
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 09:46:59 PM »
Also, remember to limit use of smilies.  One or two per post are plenty.  More than that makes it start to look unprofessional and untidy.  As always, grammar and punctuation are critical, but these other things are also important.  Thanks very much.  :)

I agree with you Pam. I would also like to mention that excessive amounts of smiley faces are extremely distracting. I mean, if someone is asking a question, or stating a problem they may have with their game, and puts a sentence worth of  :'( how can I help that person when the overflow of tears are distracting me? It makes it harder to read what someone is trying to ask or answer, because the smiley faces begin to overpower what a person is trying to say.

Aside from looking fluffy and unprofessional, it can actually slow the forum down too, due to the amount of memory they carry.

You know what else is unprofessional on a forum? Typing in all caps. Not only is it fluffy, but it's also rude, and even flaming, because it's considered shouting.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
I have a question regarding the use of smileys. Does a smiley in the quote count as one of the two-three allowed? So that, for example, a person quotes a post that has two smileys, can he/she add another smiley in that post or will it be too much? Thank you.

Just use your best judgement and keep them to a minimum in your responses.

You know what else is unprofessional on a forum? Typing in all caps. Not only is it fluffy, but it's also rude, and even flaming, because it's considered shouting.

Using all caps is in the Forum Rules, too.  I don't see it very often, but when I do, I edit the post and change it, then notify the member. 

You are all welcome to report posts that are in violation of the tidiness rules.  If you see something with tons of smileys, go ahead and report it the same way you would report spam.  Be sure to include a description of what you're reporting.  It won't get anyone in trouble and it will be confidential.  The moderators can't be everywhere, so members patrolling the Forum are very helpful in keeping things running smoothly.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2011, 11:03:08 PM »
I've asked that everyone keep stories on topic and to avoid making frivolous posts.  Unfortunately, the problem seems to have grown rather than gotten better.  I'm now getting complaints from other members about the excessive number of posts that have nothing to do with the thread.  This means I have to crack down on this problem.  Please do NOT make posts on stories or any other thread that aren't relevant and on topic.  For example, posting nothing but "Yay!" is completely unnecessary and it takes up space on the thread.  One story has post after post telling how many times the story has been read.  Again, completely unnecessary and taking up space.

So, starting now, if the person making the post cannot refrain from posting something off topic or frivolous, the Moderators and I will remove those posts without warning or notification.  I hope this won't be necessary and that everyone will step up and make sure the quality of our threads remains high.

Thanks very much for the cooperation I know will come.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »
Okay-dokey Pam. I'll remember to keep my posts on track, because I agree, off-topic posts make the forum look really messy.
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
Pam, what if we do something off-topic, then switch back on-topic, such as, in this thread, if someone were to go off-topic, and we posted:

That's great!
I think off-topic posts really do make the forum messy. I know I'm guilty of making off-topic posts, so I'm sorry and I'll try to stay on topic from now on.

Would you remove the post or edit out the off-topic bit?
EDIT: I am sorry, because I am one prone to go off-topic. I'll keep to the topic now.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »
For example, posting nothing but "Yay!" is completely unnecessary and it takes up space on the thread.
I'm really sorry! :-[
I know I'm one of the main people who does that...
Formerly Simstar3

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
My problem is that I find something that was mentioned in one thread and then I want to know more about it but don't feel confident to start a whole new thread on one question that just has a simple answer. There are threads on here that are like two replies and then its done. I find those a bit like clutter, however I understand that they are doing a new thread to stay on topic.

For example, earlier KJ mentioned the child boards, which reminded me about them and that I didn't know what they were, which made me curious. So I want to ask what a child board is. Do I need to start a new thread to ask that? I would think if its going to be under say 5 posts why clutter up the forum with a new thread?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
For example, earlier KJ mentioned the child boards, which reminded me about them and that I didn't know what they were, which made me curious. So I want to ask what a child board is. Do I need to start a new thread to ask that? I would think if its going to be under say 5 posts why clutter up the forum with a new thread?

PlatnumDymnd, a child board is kind of a sub-board under the main board.  For example, in the Stories board there are several child boards, for Immortal Dynasties, Miscellaneous stories, etc. 

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

anything