Author Topic: Nectar Making- Book or Real Thing?  (Read 5967 times)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Nectar Making- Book or Real Thing?
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
I have a Sim, daughter of another sim (ya know the drill) and while on a break from my legacy to play a quick skill level game I was wondering how I should teach her Nectar Making? I heard it takes a very long time to learn the skill from actually doing it opposed to reading the book, but is one more significant?
What do you think? I would really like to know.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Nectar Making- Book or Real Thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »
Any of the skills can go fairly quickly if you read the books at the library.  I'm sure Nectar Making would be the same.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14:20 PM »
I've stopped bothering with skill books because they don't help you at all with completing skill challenges. Any challenge that requires you to do something a certain amount of times would be best approached by doing them at even level 0. The exception is classes, which aren't offered for nectar making. The first level always takes a long time to reach but you can nail a skill level in just a couple hours taking a course for $400 or less.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »
I'm with Carl and do not use skill books very often. It seems skill learning receives a decent bonus from actually doing something vs learning passively (book or TV). I noticed this first in the Renaissance challenge where one of my characters was watching the cooking channel and clearly gaining skill at a much lower rate than if she were at the stove.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »
Ok thanks :)
I was just curious how everyone felt about it because I often find learning things faster sometimes isn't the most efficiant way.

Offline jmz95

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »
I'm with Carl and do not use skill books very often. It seems skill learning receives a decent bonus from actually doing something vs learning passively (book or TV). I noticed this first in the Renaissance challenge where one of my characters was watching the cooking channel and clearly gaining skill at a much lower rate than if she were at the stove.
The only thing I've found against this is cooking at high levels and handiness, when there's nothing to fix or upgrade. But for something like nectar making, the only reason I would ever buy a skill book is to omni-grow it or if my sim has a want to buy the book.
"Yes, I try to pick up strange babies, but only in the game.  Don't judge me." - Pam
Too late, Pam. Too late.

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
Cooking cable is a rather slow method of learning cooking, best would be either preparing a bunch of stuff (which costs money and not always financially possible), book in the library, or working on the culinary career with the learn cooking mode.
Handiness.. i'd go for a book if i'm short on wish slots, upgrading crap seems to just launch you a whole bunch of wishes, which end up expiring or taking over a slot for a long time since upgrading takes a long while.

Nectar making, hmm, a book *may* be worth it to bump a level if there's a substantial reward on that level, say, you're at 6 or 8 and a wee bit and want extended nectariation / improved pressing before making your next batch.

Photography? -> book. Slower, but it won't waste a bunch of money and first time pictures on it.

Logic is another one i'd just go for the book (it's faster past logic 5 than telescope).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 04:37:21 PM »
Cooking cable is a rather slow method of learning cooking, best would be either preparing a bunch of stuff (which costs money and not always financially possible), book in the library, or working on the culinary career with the learn cooking mode.
Handiness.. i'd go for a book if i'm short on wish slots, upgrading crap seems to just launch you a whole bunch of wishes, which end up expiring or taking over a slot for a long time since upgrading takes a long while.

Nectar making, hmm, a book *may* be worth it to bump a level if there's a substantial reward on that level, say, you're at 6 or 8 and a wee bit and want extended nectariation / improved pressing before making your next batch.

Photography? -> book. Slower, but it won't waste a bunch of money and first time pictures on it.

Logic is another one i'd just go for the book (it's faster past logic 5 than telescope).

Thanks for the advice :)

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »
Seems to me a book "might" be helpful for nectar making if all if your nectar making machines are fermenting and your sim has nothing else to do but wait.  During that downtime you could be reading the skill book.  I usually don't do this, during downtime I send my sim to take care of their Needs, but it could be done.  Especially if you only have one nectar making machine going.

anything