Author Topic: My twins have completely different birthdays  (Read 14742 times)

Offline SimPoseyYum

• Occult
My twins have completely different birthdays
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:14 AM »
I'm not sure how it happened.  The girls were born on a Friday night.  Once I got them home, I realized something slightly odd about them: one was Aquarius, the other was Virgo.  I didn't think much of it until I did a bit of research on zodiac signs.  Aquarius runs from January 20 through February 19 while Virgo runs August 24 through September 22.

I could accept if their births had crossed a day-line (one born at, say, 11:55pm on Friday and the other born at 12:05am on Saturday).  I could explain it if that particular Friday/Saturday was on a zodiac cusp, meaning they'd be different signs.  But certainly, wouldn't they have to be adjacent signs?

These girls' signs are nearly 8 months apart!

But wait, it gets weirder.

After the baby phase, I held a birthday party for them (man, it's tough trying to coordinate multiple birthdays at one party!).  Everything went well.  Girl A aged up to toddler at about 5pm, Girl B at about 6pm.  We moved on.  When it came time to age them to child, I did another party and they both aged up at the party.  However, when I checked their character sheets a few days later, they were on completely different aging schedules.  Girl A was scheduled to age up in 8 days, Girl B in 6.  How is that possible???

Now they are teens.  I just aged them tonight.  Both at the same party (I'm getting good at this!).  And yet, even though they aged up within an hour of each other, they still have different age-up days for Young Adult.  Heh I'm stumped.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, I just found it amusing and was curious if anyone else had had this happen.  Are my twins just special?

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
Re: My twins have completely different birthdays
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:43 AM »
This is a common issue, but can usually be solved via birthday cake. A lot of people think Sims have different life spans. Or, in real life, not all children begin acting like teenagers at the same time (thank god not).

Personally, I don't think it's a life-or-death situation. You can just have one big party for both twins on the same day and have one age up early. Since it's not similar to real life occurrences, it would count as a glitch/bug and using the birthday cake would be totally acceptable in legacies, dynasties, challenges, etc.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:31 AM »
I think star signs are generated automatically and have nothing what so ever to do with the actual date in the real world.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:52:39 AM »
I agree with Rachel, although I also would like to see them be coordinated with some sort of sim 'year span'. It would be cool. :D This has happened to me before, also, and it really annoyed me for some reason. But I just did what Execution said and got on with it. :P Like you say, it's not really a big problem.

Offline SimPoseyYum

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
This is a common issue, but can usually be solved via birthday cake...

Hehe The key word there is "usually".  I used the cakes on the toddler-to-child birthdays and again on the child-to-teen birthdays.  My thought was, if I cake them on the same day at the same time (give or take an hour), they "should" be back on track.  Alas, they're still two full days apart.  Oh well, I guess that's their destiny.  My girls each walk to their own beat.

I think star signs are generated automatically and have nothing what so ever to do with the actual date in the real world.

That's my impression also.  From what I've seen and read, Sim-signs are just fluff, have no real impact on who the characters are and how they behave.  Just a fun thing, harking back to the (sleazy) "What's your sign, baby" conversation ice-breaker.  I was sort of hoping, however, that the devs had included a line of code that would force twins (or triplets) to have the same sign.  Having signs that are 8 months apart is freaky (but confirms the randomness of Sim-world signage :)).

...I also would like to see them be coordinated with some sort of sim 'year span'. It would be cool. :D This has happened to me before, also, and it really annoyed me for some reason...

I suppose we just have to remind ourselves, this is Sim-world and these are the norms here.  Any resemblance to Earth is purely coincidental.

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
Correction. All Sims games are made to Simulate real life (hence the name).

Now that I think about it, twins are way too common in The Sims 3. I usually get one pair per generation, and end up with 4 or 5 kids.

anything