Author Topic: Quote link/option  (Read 4057 times)

Offline catlover

• Townie
Quote link/option
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
I have a question about selecting the quote option and how to edit out the section/sentences that I do not want to appear on my post. Here is what I tried and I failed. I selected the quote link and when the box opened I highlighted what I did not want and hit backspace to erase it. What was left is what I wanted, but when I posted and then opened up the thread again, the blue box was not highlighted with the quote.

What did I do wrong?

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Quote link/option
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
What did I do wrong?

I'm not sure, but I'll just walk you through what I just did. First, I hit the "Quote" button. The reply box comes up with your entire post quoted. I don't want your entire post. I just want "What did I do wrong?". So, I highlight your first 3 sentences and hit the delete key. Then press Post.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »
You need to have that [quote......] box at the start of the quote, as well as the [/quote] box at the end of your quote. Often the problem is that people forget the latter one if they've erased it by mistake.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Moving this topic to the Technical Help section.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline catlover

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Whoops! I thought I opened this thread under technical help...? I'm sorry, I guess I goofed again.

Ok, well thanks for the help. Hopefully I will get it right now. Thanks also for your patience!

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
Ok, well thanks for the help. Hopefully I will get it right now. Thanks also for your patience!

Why don't you try it out on here?  ;)

Just quote someone or something like this -

TEST

:)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline catlover

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »

[/quote]

Why don't you try it out on here?  ;)

Just quote someone or something like this -

TEST

:)
[/quote]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline catlover

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »
I don't think that worked out either. 

I have used the quote option before and it worked fine. It was when Swede edited one of my posts for massive quoting I think it said, so I am just trying to learn how to do it properly. I can appreciate why it is necessary to keep the forum from excessive clutter, that is why I want to get this right.

Offline Margerita

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »
Testing, testing as well... :P

Edit: works fine for me, if you are, try not to have any spaces between the text and the markers.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:27:57 PM »
I don't think that worked out either.  

I have used the quote option before and it worked fine. It was when Swede edited one of my posts for massive quoting I think it said, so I am just trying to learn how to do it properly. I can appreciate why it is necessary to keep the forum from excessive clutter, that is why I want to get this right.

Are you using the Quote button that's located in the post you want to quote?  That's the easiest first step.  Like, over on the right side of THIS post is the Quote button thing.  Click it and the new post screen will come up with the code and text of the post you are quoting.  You need to keep the first line and last line of that quote (all the stuff inside the brackets) and edit what you don't want out of all the text in between.

Here's a screenshot with the Quote button marked:

And this is a screenshot that has the beginning and ending lines of code that have to stay in your post underlined in red.  It's the stuff between those two lines that you can edit.  Then you go below all that and type your text in response to that quote.  I know the text part is small and hard to see, but maybe you can make it out.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline catlover

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:56:59 PM »
Thanks for all the help everybody.

Pam- Thanks for the pictures. Yes, I am clicking the quote option on the post of the member I am quoting, and once the box pops up is where I was getting into trouble. Your pictures help me to see what I was doing wrong. I think I got it now. Thanks again.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 06:38:36 PM »
Why don't you go ahead and test it here, catlover, and we can see if it's all worked out.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:49:54 AM »
Testing, testing as well... :P

Edit: works fine for me, if you are, try not to have any spaces between the text and the markers.

Thats Inserting a quote and typing your own quote but we are talking about quoting what someone else has said.

Catlover try editing a word out of the quoting and start from there?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:14:26 PM »
Since this comment has to do with quoting practices, I'll just throw it in this thread to flag everyone's attention. One thing I continue to see a lot is mass quoting. I've talked about this before but it bears repeating—please don't make everyone read through 3+quotes if you're only directly responding to one portion of a post. Typically, most players respond to the very last thing someone says in a post. That's normal and to be expected. So, if that's the case and the forumer you're quoting already has 1 or more quotes in their post, then do some trimming before you post.