Author Topic: Forum Connection has become Very Slow  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Forum Connection has become Very Slow
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
I'm wondering if other people are having the same problem I'm experiencing.  For the past week or two, it has been taking a really long time for any forum page to display.  Half the time I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage," and then when I get it to diagnose connection problems it says there are no problems with this computer's network connection.  Sometimes when the page does display it looks odd.  When I'm posting a response in a thread, sometimes it times out before I post it and the message is lost.  I just lost the edits I'd done on one of Leto's video topics because of this.  I try to remember to copy the message before hitting Post, but frankly this is getting really frustrating!  I don't think it's a problem with my connection or my computer, as this is the only site where the problems are occurring.    Is anyone else having this problem?  Does anyone know what's causing it?  And most importantly - is there something that can be done to fix it?

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Joh

• Townie
Re: Forum Connection has become Very Slow
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
I'm getting something similar, it's very slow to load, and the pages look typed (like on a typewriter, from the 'olden days' ???).  Then it evolves to the normal look of the page.  A few minutes ago a page came up saying I could not connect to the server, I paged back and ignored the message and everything was fine.  Very odd.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
I have also been having this problem. I thought it might have just been my computer, but maybe it's not.
Also, Carl might not get these messages for a while seeing as he is with Metro.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
While this happens on occasion, it's very sporadic.  I could go a couple days without experiencing any problems, then it'll go slow for a couple of hours.  I've only had it time out while posting once, though.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
On my end the forum has not been slow, though frequently I do have the odd looking pages.  I also have not had a timed out problem.  Glad to know I am not the only one. 
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
I am frequently having the 'timed out' error, especially whilst typing long story updates. Unfortunately, I've lost a couple of updates that way. But, it's always good to copy any post, just in case the message appears. Anyway, I'm starting to think this is tied to my slow internet connection problems, not necessarily to the forum.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Jancy

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
I haven't got the timed out error but I also have noticed that the pages take long to appear.  Slower than usual loading.  I thought also it could have been because of all the photos in the threads. This has been happening for me for 2 to 3 weeks or so and just thought it may have been something on my end.  

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
I am frequently having the 'timed out' error, especially whilst typing long story updates. Unfortunately, I've lost a couple of updates that way. But, it's always good to copy any post, just in case the message appears. Anyway, I'm starting to think this is tied to my slow internet connection problems, not necessarily to the forum.

A nice work-around for this is to highlight the entire post and to copy it.  That way, if you time out you can go back, start a new reply and just paste what you originally wrote.  This is kind of a habit for me with long posts now, as this has happened to me many times on other forums as well.  ;)
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 10:52:34 PM »
Thanks for starting this topic.  I get the funny looking type when I use the search function.  I'll ask Carl to come look at this thread.  But remember he's on vacation with Metro, so it will be a few days before he will be able to get to it.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 11:36:53 PM »
Thanks for starting this topic.  I get the funny looking type when I use the search function.  I'll ask Carl to come look at this thread.  But remember he's on vacation with Metro, so it will be a few days before he will be able to get to it.
Is the funny-looking type the print page? Because when I do the search, it comes up like that too. But when I removed the ";wap2" at the end of the url, it goes back to normal.

For example, I search "Reinstall" and click on "Start from the Beginning - Uninstall and Reinstall". The page is funny, and the url is http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php?topic=1103.0;wap2.
However, when I remove the ";wap2", it goes back to normal.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
Quite interesting, Alexandria.  The Forum is supposed to render like that, though.  This is a good temporary solution until Carl gets back home and can take a look.  Thanks very much.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 11:53:54 PM »
Quite interesting, Alexandria.  The Forum is supposed to render like that, though.  This is a good temporary solution until Carl gets back home and can take a look.  Thanks very much.
You're very welcome. It's just something I picked up on a little while ago when I was searching for information :)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »
Yep, when I search for something Sims-related on Google and if one of the results is the forum, it will usually show the print version. This should be fixed otherwise lurkers will think it is the forum, but the real forum is designed much better. :)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa