Author Topic: Townie Skill-a-Thon II  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Townie Skill-a-Thon II <Live Challenge -- Jump in!>
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2024, 06:31:36 AM »
This challenge is now closed. Wow, @sone comes in with a blistering 11th-hour score. Congrats! Thanks to all the participants. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy.

Baby Boomer starts in two weeks. I will post the ruleset a week from today.

Offline sone

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Occult
Re: Townie Skill-a-Thon II
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2024, 08:32:10 AM »
My main focus was to pick households with as many sims as possible; and than to finish filling them by adopting kids as soon as possible. The first three days I spent at the Price household, making a club that prioritized Rally the Troops, the add more members perks, and than skill boosts. Each sim went through a few low-level aspirations where I could to try to nab morning sim and night owl. Kids were a boon, as they can now lv their child-skills and adult-skills at the same time (mental/logic for example), getting a few more extra points in than some of the adults. After three days I had a good chunk of the skill boosts unlocked, and moved onto the next household, passing leadership of the club onto them before moving to manage worlds.

Skill boost in clubs sometimes, but not always, means new members start out with lv 1 in the respective skill, meaning free points there too. I continued to try to pick households with more starting members, finish filling out with kids, and than moving on. In cases where the household didn't start with a maxed out skill, I had one sim focus on dancing while the others sang for a bit before moving onto dancing. This meant most of the kids would have 15-26 points, while most teens/adults/elders would be in the range of 35-60 depending on their starting skills.

I also tried to make sure that the sims who was going to max dancing got morning sim or night owl if possible. I could have tried to spam those points for more sims, but time management irl was turning into an issue @-@

By the end I had played through I think 16 households, and a total of 113 sims. I never want to hear 5 children badly playing the violin again  :o

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2024, 09:29:15 AM »
Congratulations @sone , great strategy!

I personally focused on gaining as many level 1 skills as possible with my sims, mostly by reading skill books when it was possible. I also added skilling objects to the houses for skills that cannot be learned by reading books (veterinarian, cross-stitching, pipe organ, media production...).
Except for my last household, I only played with households that already had a sim with a max level skill and, as @sone did, adopted toddlers to have more sims in the household (and make them gain level 1 to all the toddlers an children skills before aging them).
As soon as most of the household members had level 1 in all possible skills (except selvadoradian culture that I didn't know how to gain without travelling to Selvadorada and pet training because I did'nt want to keep a slot in the household for a dog) I went playing another household.

That was my strategy for the 5 first households I played: Bjergsen, Moody & MacMillan,Laurent, Ito and Scott and each household got 400 to 500+ points. I chose them because one of their members had already max a skill and also because of the total amount of points the household already had.
On the last day I went playing with all the households with a maxed skill I didn't already play: Vladislaus Straud, Rasoya, Behr, Romeo and LeChien and Delgato.
I did not try to increase their skills, only noted the points they already had.
Then I played a few hours with Watson family : they already had many points, and one of the children has level 7 in Motor skill so it was quite quick to get to level 10 while the other members gained as many level 1 skills as possible. The Watson household finally gave me approximately 200 points.

I ended the challenge with the 5 members of the Robles household (some of them had already many points), who gave approximately 200 points too.

I took much time planning which households to play, regarding to the skills their members already had, and learned many things about our premade households!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2024, 10:29:44 AM »
Great stuff, you two. Thanks for the detailed posts.

Online Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2024, 03:43:25 PM »
I started with the Ito family, and filled their yard outside the house with skilling objects and school projects, two of the skilling objects were the spaceship you build and the treehouse you build. I created a club with mum and dad and 5 other adults, including Lily Feng. Teen and Child began projects. Club was called, kid and teen began a project and called adults to assist with their projects. This gave adults in club skills they didn't start with from the school projects. I had Lily assist with the ones involving logic. Then when child Ito went off to play kids violin/piano/pipe organ and then do a family friendly yoga routine, mum/dad/teen and other adults worked on rocket ship and treehouse, raising rocket science and handiness respectively.

In a lot of the houses, I placed down skilling objects and had the household members go from object to object getting a point in skills. It seemed they randomly got a point in Selvadoradian Culture at some time.

I got through 11 houses, including the Fengs (Lily got given a chemical analysis machine and got some elements from it) for practising her chemical analysis and the Valtore Siblings - and I got the siblings to max vampire lore each.

I practised with different skills in an attempt to find ones that I could do quickly in practices and also went to each house across all my worlds to see which ones had sims with maxed skills.

I continue to be too kind to my sims, As I *ahem* allowed them to go to school and/or work.

And while I didn't cause a fire with a controlled sim, a non controlled sim attempted to cook using a grill and set the grill and my observatory on fire. but that was in a practice, not the scoring file.

Oh and some of the houses have VERY interesting layouts.

And for anyone interested ... Just A Placeholder has a name ... Teresa Green, and a love, Robin Green. Even the *ahem* visually stunning sims have the right to dream big, don't they?

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2024, 11:31:43 AM »
Its so fun how different peoples strategy for this challenge where.

My main strategy was to use the wishing well, skill books, and the Selvadorarian Culture skill.

I decided to start out with the households that already had a maxed skill. Put down a wishing well and have all sims wish for skills once in hopes of a few extra skillpoints. While they each used time for wishing for skills, i did make the rest of the sims do quick actions for a single skill point like singing, or playing a game.
After they all wished for a skill once, i switched household.

When i was through these households I went for the household with a sim that had a nearly maxed skill. And did the same procedure as above.
If the wishing well did not grant them a maxed skill i would take the household on a vacation. Use one of the sims that got a positive moodlet from the wishing well, and have them learn the Selvaradorian Culture skill, that one can be maxed within 3-4 hours. The rest of the household would shuffle through skill books so that they got a single skill point in each skill.

Then i went for the biggest households, as that would make a higher chance for a maxed skill from the wishing well. And else it was a repeat from the other households.

I sadly though quickly became tired of my own strategy with the skill books, becuase i kept clicking on the wrong things :( and played slower and slower, and thus only reach wednessday morning in game, and did not have more real life time to finish up the rest of the play time.