Author Topic: Wainwrights and Wrongs  (Read 11088 times)

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Wainwrights and Wrongs: Chapter 33 Part Two
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2024, 05:20:06 PM »

While Boyd and Susan were at the spice festival, they asked Caleb to come over and babysit Blair and James.  Originally, they were going to ask Jonathan or Maaike, but he was working that night, and she had gone back to Windenburg for a few days to speak with a publisher there.  Leaving their children alone with a vampire might have seemed like an odd choice given that they were away at nighttime, but they trusted Caleb to keep Vladislaus from starting any nonsense with them.  Unlike Lilith, who they also believed would help if asked, he was not Vladislaus’ direct spawn and thus not as subject to his influence, and besides, if Vladislaus was going to stalk any of their family that night, Susan figured it would be her, anyway.  Supposedly, Blair was still too young for their kind to bother, from what the Vatores had said.  Besides, vampirism aside, Caleb was a charming and pleasant fellow, and they all liked him.

James was already in bed for the night, after a long day of toddling around and wearing himself out, but Blair was still wide awake and excited to be hanging out with a cool, nice vampire.  She knew she could not tell any of her friends about that part, even her best friend Imran, but it was still exciting.  She had a lot of questions about it.

“You’re sure you don’t mind me asking you about vampire stuff?” she asked during their late evening chess game on the patio.

“Not at all.  It’s nice to talk to someone with an open mind about it.  I’m just glad you’re not scared of me, and you trust me not to hurt you.  Because I wouldn’t.  I’m not that kind of vampire.”

“You never bite anyone without asking first.”

“Nope.  Not anymore.  Not for a long time now.”  He moved his bishop.  “Your turn.”

Blair studied the board.  “You said not for a long time.  So, you used to?”

Caleb nodded, a bit somberly.  “Every vampire does at some point, especially when they’re first turned.  It’s a hard urge to control.  But it can be controlled,” he emphasized.  “Just like human hunger.”

“But if humans get really hungry, they have to eat.”  She picked up a pawn and hesitated on her move, and then placed it.  “Otherwise, you starve to death.”

“We do, too.  But we don’t have to drink from humans.  We can hunt animals.  Just like a human doesn’t have to eat meat to survive and could be a vegetarian, we can have plasma from fish or frogs or even plasma fruit and live.”

“So, why do you, then?  Bite people, I mean?”

He put his finger on his chin as he contemplated both his answer and his next move.  “Honest answer?  Because it tastes better.  Because it’s more filling and more satisfying to the senses.  The same reason a human would rather have a big thick steak or a chocolate cake than a boring salad or a protein bar.  Our friend Vlad calls what I do ‘subsistence living’ and mocks me for it.  But he doesn’t care if he hurts anyone, either.”  He took her pawn with his.  “Your move.”

Blair frowned as she realized Caleb’s move had put her rook in jeopardy and moved it out of harm’s way, conveniently into a position where, if he did not notice, it could nab one of his knights.  “Vlad’s a jerk.  I hate him.  I wish he’d leave Mom alone and stop hurting her.”

“So do I.”  He eyed her sympathetically in the moonlight.  He could tell that Susan and Boyd had not yet told her that Vladislaus had lined her up for future dining as well.  Poor girl.  She’s so sweet.  I hope he doesn’t turn that into bitterness. He moved a bishop of his three spaces in a setup for a strategy he had in mind, and Blair grinned cheekily and took his knight on her turn.  As she hoped, he had not anticipated her strategy while plotting his own.  “Oof.  Didn’t see that one coming.  Nice.”

“Thanks!  I practice a lot.  I got a badge for chess in scouts.”

“I can see why.”

“So, can I ask another question?”  She eyed him curiously.

“Sure.”

“When was the last time you bit someone?  Without asking, I mean?”

“Five years ago.”  He paused.  “Though I’ve been trying not to for longer.  That was my last… slip.”  He lowered his eyes.  “Like I said, it’s very hard to control.  If you let yourself get too hungry, and I wasn’t as strong then.  I was younger and less disciplined.”

Blair bit her lip, as she could tell Caleb felt bad thinking about it, and she felt a bit sorry for asking.  “I know you didn’t mean to hurt them.”

“But it didn’t hurt them any less, all the same.  A lesson I try and remember when the dark urge hits.”

“What about Lilith?  She doesn’t bite people anymore either, right?  When was the last time she…?”

“No, she doesn’t.  As for her last time,” Caleb looked up at the moon, “you’d have to ask her.”  He knew it was more recent than his, significantly, but that was something he would rather not lie about or tell Blair.  He pointed out the results of his latest move on the board.  “Check, by the way.”

“Eek!”  Blair did some quick thinking and saved her king.  “Would it be okay if I asked one more thing?”

Caleb smiled kindly.  “No worries.  I’ll tell you if you’re getting too personal.”

“When did Vlad turn you two?  How old are you really?  Because you look younger than my mom and dad, but are you?”

“Hah.  I can tell you I’m old enough that the date on my driver’s license is, we’ll say, fudged.”

Blair let out a snort.  “Mom fudges about her age sometimes, too, but she can’t get away with it on her driver’s license.  But I’ve heard her say it wrong to a saleslady a couple times!”

“I’m older than them.  Let me put it this way.  I was turned in the clubs in the era when goth music was first a thing, and if you need to know what year that was, you can either look it up online or ask your parents.”  He smirked.  “And for the record, Lilith is my older sister.  By a little bit.”  He pinched his fingers for effect, and Blair giggled.

“I get the feeling I better not tell her you said that, though.”

“You could keep it between us.”

“Okay.”  Blair made a final move on the chessboard and folded her arms triumphantly.  “Oh, and checkmate!”

Caleb looked down at the board and evaluated the situation to discover she was indeed correct.  She had outmaneuvered him quite expertly.  “Good game.”  He clapped.  “I see that scouting badge is well earned.”

Life chugged along in the Wainwright household, and James kept growing and doing more by the day.  To Susan, it felt like he was learning how to make new and different messes every day, one of the ways beyond physical appearance that he seemed to take after his father.  He would not sit still long enough to be confined to the highchair for very long, and eventually, Susan gave up and just started feeding him by giving him plates of food wherever he was when he got hungry.  Especially because of how he would cry out whenever she, Boyd, or Blair would leave the room.  They hoped that his clinginess was just a phase he would outgrow.  While they loved him dearly, it was not a trait that would serve him well socially as he got older, and it needed to be nipped in the bud before it got worse.

“We worried about Blair being too introverted, but James is just ridiculous with this crying sometimes,” Susan vented to Boyd one day when he got home from work.  “I can’t even go to the bathroom without him starting to wail or trying to follow me in, let alone put him in the crib and go out to work on my engineering bench.  How am I supposed to get any work done?  If this keeps up, I’m going to have to put him back in day care and go back to the office so my performance doesn’t suffer!  I can’t very well concentrate on building fine circuitry and keep an eye on a free-roaming toddler that refuses to be confined and entertain himself at the same time.”

“Sometimes he’ll use the tablet for me.  He likes shapes,” Boyd suggested.

“Yes, for about ten minutes.  Then he gets restless.  Or hungry.  Or needs the potty.  It’s not like on the weekends when you watch him here while you’re puttering around the house when you can just put stuff down and then pick it up again if he suddenly needs something.  Take him to work on a take your kid to work day and see how much you get done.”

Boyd cringed at her tone, and he could tell he was dangerously close to getting a blast.  “The lab doesn’t do those for safety reasons, but point taken.  I’m sorry he’s not doing better about that, honey.  I’ll try to help you figure something out and work with him to try and get him a little more emotionally independent.”

“Maybe getting him his own room would help,” Blair suggested.  “He’s never alone, even when he sleeps.  That’d get him used to it.”

Susan sighed.  Ugh.  Not the room whine again.  While they both understood how much Blair wanted and needed her own space, it was not like they both were not well aware of that fact and doing their best to save for it, so her constant griping was getting rather old.  “We’d love to, sweetie, but—”

“I know, I know,” she cut her off with an overly dramatic sigh.  “You can’t afford it yet.”

“Bare!”  James thudded his empty plate on the table, blundering Blair’s name in his attempt to pronounce it.

“I’m busy, James.”

He didn’t care.  “Bare!”

“I said I’m busy.”  She hoped if she just kept at what she was doing, he would get bored and find something else to do.  She loved him, but he could get very tedious.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t having it this time.  Mommy was outside, Daddy was at work, and Big Sister was right there.  “Baaaaaaaaare!”

She looked over at him, frustrated.  He had just had a snack and juice a little while ago, so he should not have been hungry or thirsty, and she didn’t smell anything, so hopefully it wasn’t an accident.  “What?”

He looked at her wide-eyed and eager.  “Pay wiff?”  She sighed.  She did not want to be mean, but she did not feel like playing with her baby brother right now, either.

“I know you want to play, but I’m busy, like I said.”  She looked over at the television, which was playing a weather broadcast.  “How about I put cartoons on for you?  I don’t know why Mom left the dumb weather on anyway.  Of course, you’re bored.”  She was not entirely sure he understood that, but she hoped that would get him to stop pestering her.  Her mother was outside, trying to get some work done on an engineering project.  “That okay?”

He did not know how to talk well enough to say much else, but he seemed glad when the cartoons came on and settled happily into the cushions.  Blair breathed a sigh of relief and returned to her notebook.

Despite how busy they were, Susan and Boyd still did their best to teach James all the skills he needed.  Potty training was an essential one, and the sooner he was out of diapers, the better.  Not only were they messy, but they were also expensive.  Plus, using the potty on his own would be another step toward independence, and it also fulfilled his seemingly never-ending craving for attention by helping him learn.  “Good job,” Susan praised him.  “You’re learning very quickly.  I’m very proud of you.  I’m so impressed that you’ll be able to do this by yourself, soon.  That makes me and Daddy and Blair all so very happy.”  She smiled down at him.  “You’re such a big boy.”

They also used flash cards to help teach him more words and proper Simlish phrases.  He was speaking better every day, and also had a language program on his tablet, but he seemed to learn even faster when he was working one on one with them.

“Potty!” James said as he identified the card she held up.

“Very good.  That is the potty.  It’s in the bathroom.  Can you say bathroom?”

“Bafroom.”

“Bathroom,” Susan emphasized the syllable he mispronounced.  “You were very close.  Bathroom.  The potty is in the bath-room.”

“Bathhhhhroom.” “That was… closer.  We’ll keep working on it.  Good job.  Keep trying.”  She changed the card.  “We’ll have you speaking eloquently and out there making friends and playmates in no time.”  Which will hopefully be soon, she finished inwardly on a frazzled note.

Author’s Note: Sorry for the length and having to split into two posts again, but yay, James is finally a toddler! Sadly, Plum Tree is gone so I can’t update the family anymore, but as you might have guessed, he went from his staged infant trait of wiggly (since Growing Together hadn’t come out when I played that part of the save originally, I staged a couple days of infancy for the story during NaNoWriMo when I wrote this draft, and wiggly was what he rolled randomly on his first age-up) to clingy, which is how he was in the main save. Quite a change from independent loner Blair!

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Wainwrights and Wrongs: Chapter 34
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2024, 09:01:21 PM »
Chapter 34

While the Wainwrights went on about their lives, so did the vampires that knew them—friend, acquaintance, and whatever Vladislaus Straud was, depending on whether the perspective was from the Wainwrights’ or that of Vladislaus.  One of their regular hangouts was a club in Forgotten Hollow, an old, defunct, and deconsecrated cathedral that was now a nightclub that had become a regular den of the denizens of the dark.  Strangely, despite his broad influence in the town and proud status as the town’s oldest master vampire, Vladislaus Straud himself only showed up there periodically.  While he enjoyed the company of other vampires, he found many aspects of the modern-day club scene distasteful, especially lowbrow trashy behavior from drunk mortals that he considered the equivalent of last resort fast food.  Generally, he only went to such places to socialize with his fellow vampires, not dine.

His spawn Miss Hell was in town tonight, however, since she had messaged him that she would be there, so he stopped in.  At least the bartenders made a good Plasma Jane.  They were not vampires, but they were all in the know, and could be trusted to keep their dark secret.  Every one of them was either on the take or a pet of one of the regulars.  Lilith Vatore had literally charmed the pants of at least one.  Vladislaus personally thought she could do better, but at least unlike her brother, she was using her powers as they were meant to be used and not whining while drinking fish and frog slop like her brother.

Speaking of my little disappointments, there they are, he thought as he spotted them with Kat Cave, Markus Crow, and Miss Hell at the other end of the bar.  He picked up his newly mixed Plasma Jane and joined them.

Markus waved.  “Hey, Vlad.”

“Vladdy!  Long time no see,” Kat greeted him.  “Missed you last time you were in Bridgeport.”

“He was probably too busy stalking someone who found him odious to say hello,” Lilith quipped.

“Oh, and it’s a pleasure to see you as well, my surly little protégé,” he retorted before addressing Markus and Kat, to whom he tipped his hat in a gentlemanly manner.  “Markus, Kat.  A delight as always.  Speaking of, Kat, my dear, I hear you’ve had some wild nights of late.  I hope Caleb here has been taking notes, though I’d advise a touch more subtlety.  I’m always happy to help if you get into a fix and pull what strings I can, but Missy and I would hate to have to send such a fun one as you into hiding for too long.”  He winked before turning to Caleb, and then Miss Hell, at the far end of the bar, behind him. “Caleb, Missy.”

“Glad you could make it, Vlad.”  Miss Hell smiled.  “I’ve been catching up with Caleb and I have a very interesting tidbit to tell you.”

Caleb frowned.  “Come on.  I really wish you wouldn’t.”

“Oh, but it’s so juicy!  I just can’t help myself.”

Vlad raised an eyebrow, while Caleb’s frown deepened to a scowl.  “So, I guess lawyer-client confidentiality means plum to you?”

“Ahem.  Number one, my oath is to my client.  My client is deceased.  Any oaths I made and contracts I signed were with him.  I’m in the process of settling the estate for said client and dealing with his son, named in said contract.  I’m not sharing sensitive financial or private information about said deceased client or his wife in this conversation.  One could argue that privilege doesn’t quite apply in this context.  Especially regarding you being bent out of shape that the son of the deceased is the brother of the stalking victim of a vampire, an act that’s not exactly written in the law books and thus has no precedent.”

“I can’t believe you,” Lilith seethed, while Caleb sighed in frustration.

“Thanks.  Thanks a heap.”

The Vatores’ reactions were all Vladislaus needed to confirm what Miss Hell was saying without her even saying a name.  “So, you’ve been Jonathan Bronte’s lawyer this whole time?  And you were their father’s?”

Miss Hell blinked innocently.  “Now Vlad, you know I can’t confirm or deny who retained me.  Privilege.”

“You sure as hell admitted who you’re stalking, though,” Lilith snapped at Vladislaus.  “So maybe you should cut it out and leave the poor woman alone, for the Watcher’s sake.”

Vladislaus laughed.  “The Watcher and I haven’t had a relationship in some time, my dear, so I’m not terribly concerned about that.”

“I have it on fairly good authority that Susan doesn’t want one with you, either, so maybe you ought to consider that,” Caleb retorted.

“Yes, yes.  Your opinion has been duly noted and given all the consideration it deserves.  About as much as this.”  He dumped his empty drink in the trash.

Caleb growled under his breath, and started to say something, but stopped when Lilith stood and took his hand.  “Come on.  Let’s go get some air.  It’s gotten rather foul in here.”

Markus swirled his Plasma Jane.  “Vlad, you know I’m cool with you most of the time, but it wouldn’t hurt to ease up on Lilith and Caleb a bit.  They’re never going to embrace any of the old ways if you keep hammering them over the head with them like that.”

He side-eyed Markus.  “Hmm.  And what would you have me do, then?  Sit by and watch them embarrass vampire kind as a whole acting like fools?  Markus, my friend, you know I’ve got no problem with you most of the time.  You’re a respectable vampire and you don’t preach foolish nonsense like acting like you’re still a weak human when you’re not.  I understand that you’re fond of some mortals.  Some vampires are.  But you know the difference.  Those fools do not.  Well, Caleb doesn’t seem to.  Lilith, perhaps she’s learning.  Her idiot brother, on the other hand, needs to be whipped into shape, and she’s still insolent as well.”  He sipped his drink and eyed him sharply before continuing.  “That said, I’m also aware that Caleb recruited you in his little scheme to try and undermine me from dining on Susan Wainwright whenever I please.  I don’t know why you’ve chosen to involve yourself in that, nor do I particularly care.  So far, I’m not aware of you doing more than talking to them.  Fine.  Talk to them all you want.  Befriend them if you like.  Perhaps you might even help convince Susan to join us someday.  Her husband, too, would be welcome.  They’re intelligent and would make interesting additions to our community.  Regardless, there’s nothing you can tell them about me that I’m concerned about.  But if you cross the line and get in my way,” he warned, his eyes gleaming ominously, “I won’t take it lightly.”

“Relax.  I’m not out to make any enemies.  Out of you, or the scientists.”  He chuckled.  “But I wonder why you obsess so much about certain mortals like that.  It’s not like there aren’t a ton of others out there ripe for the biting with a lot less effort and a little finesse.”  He looked at the bartender, one of his own pets.  Filip was one of those who had an obsessive love of expensive steak and bacon, and his plasma reflected that.  Markus not only tipped him well to keep his lips sealed about their secret and for regular bites, but also paid for a monthly subscription to a gourmet food delivery service that provided him with that.  Not only did it get his confidentiality, but it also got Markus top-notch Plasma Janes and a hearty drink just before he left the club.

It was just around that point in the conversation that a very curious and famous Dirk Dreamer came over.  “So, I ordered this Plasma Jane drink that seems to be so popular and, uh… what’s in it?  Because it’s kind of…?”

“Weird?” finished Filip the bartender.

“Yeah.”  He eyed them oddly.  “I didn’t think it had actual plasma in it, but…”

“Plasma fruit, my dear boy,” Vladislaus informed him.  “It’s an acquired taste for a distinguished palate.”

“Hey, you can’t imply a celebrity here’s not distinguished,” Markus joked.  “Not cool.”

“It’s okay,” Miss Hell teased back.  “It’s just a comment on the lack of top hat.”  She tapped hers.  “You know Vlad and I are just old school.”

Dirk eyed them strangely.  “So, you acquire the taste by drinking… plasma?  Er, plasma fruit?  Well, I guess this is kind of a goth club.  Goes with the theme.”  He took his drink and wandered back out to the dance floor.

Kat raised an eyebrow as he left.  “You know that guy is all over social media, right?  Not just a celebrity, but a geeky tech celebrity genius type?  He’s going to put two and two together about us real quick, if he hasn’t already, and probably blast it all over the internet.  If he hasn’t already updated from his phone.”

They looked over.  “He’s still got the Plasma Jane in his hand and the poor thing looks mildly ill from it,” remarked Miss Hell.

“Dumb llama mortal.”  Markus chuckled.  “If it sucks, why drink it?”

Vladislaus nearly spat out his drink despite the vulgar humor.  “That’s what I tell Caleb all the time, but he never listens.”

That garnered a chuckle from all three of them before the mood grew serious again.  “Seriously, though, want me to go take care of it?  I can go put the fear of the undead into him right now.  Rare is the mortal stupid enough to speak up after a good Kat Cave style warning.”

Miss Hell looked him over and shook her head.  “No.  I think that one could do with a simple mind-wipe or charm.  I can take care of it.”  She started to stand, but Vladislaus finished his drink, set it on the bar, and stopped her.

“Not necessary.  I’ll handle him.  I’m rather peckish and that fellow had a promising scent.  I suspect he’s got a good profile.”

“And you said you never dine in places like this,” Miss Hell teased.

“Even I slum it occasionally, my dear.  Just like our four-star celebrity Mr. Dreamer.”

“Bon appétit,” she replied, while the other two watched him go, equally amused.

On his way to chase down Dirk Dreamer, Vladislaus noticed another mortal side-eying him.  He paused, and recalled that she had been beside Miss Hell ordering a drink when the Vatores were whining about her telling him about the coincidence of Susan’s brother having her handle their father’s estate.  His ancient vampire powers picked up on a sense of unease from her and he discerned that it was from Caleb and Lilith calling him a stalker.  Worse, she recognized him as the esteemed Vladislaus Straud, because they had used his name and this was his town, with his grand statue in the square.  Well, his “great-grandfather’s,” but still.

He silently cursed his spawn and grand-spawn’s petty lack of discretion.  Now he had another mess to clean up, and an entirely unnecessary one, thanks to those fools.  Not that he particularly cared what mortals thought of him, but Forgotten Hollow was his home, and he would not have mere human nobodies in the club spreading unsavory rumors about him in his hometown, where he paid his taxes and owned several politicians.

It would serve them right if I thralled her and brought her downstairs to them to feed on themselves.  Spill her blood a bit and the scent might be too much for them to resist, especially if I offer it to Kat to finish if they refuse.  She would be far less gentle on an “innocent” at my command, and Missy would gladly help force them to watch. While Miss Hell had a better relationship with Caleb than he did, as the one who turned him, she also found his and Lilith’s pity-the-mortals moralizing tedious and eye-rolling, and she also hoped he would get over it someday.

But after a moment, he decided a simple memory alteration would suffice this time.  Perhaps such a lesson could be arranged for Caleb alone in the future if this nonsense continued.  He did not want to alienate Lilith further when she was already in a foul mood when she had recently taken strides toward the darker side, and risk undoing that progress.  Why, only a few weeks ago, she let herself get a bit too hungry and slipped, he heard.  Romancing some poor mortal sap in a place like this, cozying up to him on the dance floor, taking him alone somewhere, only to find out he was more talk than action when it came to the nitty-gritty of the naughty biting part.  Apparently, she nipped him and drank a bit anyway, before her guilt overcame her hunger and stopped her.  Then, she used her powers to make him forget the details and think it was a simple accident, rationalizing to herself that’s all it was anyway.  She had not meant to.  But Vladislaus knew the truth.  She had.  All vampires meant it.  Those who didn’t, like her and Caleb, were just fools that lied to themselves.

After using his mind powers on the eavesdropper to stop her, he casually strode over.  “You heard nothing worth repeating when you saw me at the bar.  No gossip.  Just some friends talking.  You don’t even know who we are or remember what we look like.  In fact, you barely remember even being here.  Those drinks were quite strong.”

“Strong drinks,” she murmured.  “I don’t remember anything.”

“Good.  You never will.  In fact, this place was not to your taste at all.  You won’t even want to come back.”

“No.  Won’t come back.”

“Very wise.  You know that’s for the best,” he said kindly, and broke his spell to allow her to move again only after he rounded the corner and ducked out of sight.

Vladislaus did not have to wait long for the opportune moment to take care of the Dirk Dreamer problem.  After he finished his Plasma Jane, he did not pull out his phone, but decided to try and dance off the ill feeling it left him with.  It did not work, and a few minutes later, he left the dance floor and headed for the restroom.  Vladislaus shifted into dark form and pounced on Dirk the moment he was alone in a stony corridor on the way there.

“What the…?  Holy plum!”  Dirk was horrified as he saw Vladislaus like that, eyes alit with an unnatural and hungry glow, fangs bared, coming at him.  “I knew it.”  He backed up.  “I knew there were real freaking vampires here.  Oh—”

“Oh, you won’t be in any condition to tell anyone that, I’m afraid.”  Vladislaus used the full force of his powers on the frightened tech celebrity, who he could sense was terrified in that moment that he was actually going to kill him.

Now that Dirk was frozen, Vladislaus leaned toward him menacingly, so that he could see him in every bit of his evil and powerful glory.  “Do you think you’re too famous to die, Mr. Dreamer?  But tragically, young celebrities like you meet unfortunate ends in seedy places like this all the time.  Too many drinks, too many… illicit substances in the system… even brilliant ones like you not known as the ‘party animal’ types as you mortals these days call it.  Why, even sometimes it’s not unexpected that ones under pressure like you, working so hard, they burn out, they cut loose and unwind, they go too far…”  His lips curled into a smug smile, exposing more of his fangs.  “At least, that’s what the police report will say.  I should know.  I’m very influential in this town.  They don’t question my word.  What a sad end for a promising young man, and a tarnish on what would be your legacy.  No.  We wouldn’t want that, would we?”

Dirk just blinked at him, his heart pounding in terror while mentally he pleaded with Vladislaus and whatever forces were listening for his life.

“Of course, you don’t.  But since I can tell you’ve seen the grievous error of your ways in thinking that you might tell the world about what transpired here tonight, and because I respect a man of your intelligence and station, Mr. Dreamer, I believe you won’t make a very stupid choice if I allow you to survive this time.  So, I’ll give you that chance.  I suggest you be grateful and heed my warning.  You will not get a second.”

With that, Vladislaus grabbed Dirk and sank his fangs deeply into his neck.  Just like he suspected, his four-star blood was at least four-star dining, if not better.  It was not among what he considered the top tier, like poor Susan, but good enough that he was now tied with the delicious Diego Lobo on his San Myshuno list.  That was where Dirk was living and worked now, and Vladislaus would certainly be by not only to partake, but to make sure he was behaving himself.  If so much as a hint about him or encounters like this with vampires in Forgotten Hollow started showing up in his social media accounts, he would be taken care of quickly.  Miss Hell, Kat, and Markus all lived in that city, too, so there would be dark eyes on him from here on out.

“I must say, your plasma has a deliciously sweet taste to it, Mr. Dreamer.  A fine vintage.  I’ll certainly be back to see you again.”  He met Dirk’s heavily lidded eyes as he wobbled from exhaustion.  “How much and how roughly I take it depends on how well you hold up your end of the bargain.  Just remember that no matter how tasty you are, like all mortals, you are replaceable.”  He started to let him go, and then paused.  “Oh, and if you get ideas about stopping me or evading me, well, I’ll just say I’ve been doing this for a very, very long time, and you’d be far from the first bright little mortal who thought he was clever enough to do so and found out the hard way how wrong he was.”

With that, he stepped back and watched as Dirk fell and slumped over onto the hard floor, unconscious, looking rather like the stereotype of how Vladislaus described his unseemly demise might be written up if he was actually dead, and if not for the fang marks on the side of his neck.

Caleb came around the corner just in time to see Vladislaus change back into his human form over the unconscious Dirk Dreamer.

“Wow.  Did you really just chow down on Dirk Dreamer right here in the club?”  He regarded him with utter disgust.  “What about your oh-so-dignified palate and not eating in ‘trashy’ places like this?”

“A vampire that considers frog blood with fresh squeezed plasma juice and a touch of parsley a delicacy hardly has the room to make judgments on my taste.”

“I’m making a judgment on your behavior, and your hypocrisy,” he retorted contemptuously.  “I couldn’t even begin to count the times you’ve insulted me and Lilith for finding willing ‘fast food’ at the clubs, not to mention all the jabs at Missy for meeting me in one, but just earlier tonight you gave Kat plum for lack of subtlety for when she went wild on someone in public.  And then you turn around and do this to someone famous, like that’s not going to get a whole bunch of attention we don’t need.  In a club in our hometown, no less!  You’re unbelievable!”

Utterly unimpressed, Vladislaus adopted a mock expression of contrition.  “Dear me, the high and mighty Caleb Vatore doesn’t approve of what I’m doing.  Whatever shall I do and however will I sleep during the day?”  He rolled his eyes.  “Oh, that’s right.  Snugly in my coffin with my toasty bunny slippers, having sweet dreams of enjoying delicious mortal plasma while you dig in the mud for whatever it is you call food, with your hunger crying out to you in your self-inflicted misery while martyring yourself in pointless self-righteousness.”

Caleb groaned, ready to tear his hair out, which was not an unusual feeling when he dealt with Vladislaus.  “So typical of you.  So arrogant.  You don’t give a plum how what you do affects anyone else!  You just do whatever you want and rationalize it.”

“Did I hurt your feelings, dear grand-spawn?  My apologies.  But you’ve got no room to talk about arrogance when you’re preaching so much, you’d think this was still a cathedral and not a nightclub.  I’d tell you to take a hard look in the mirror if it would do any good.”

“You don’t get it!  For someone who’s so concerned about what the community thinks, why on Earth would you think biting a tech celebrity, someone who’s all over social media, wouldn’t be a huge risk?”  Caleb looked down, relieved that Dirk was still breathing and that Vladislaus had not killed him, but also anxious because of the attention he could bring to their community once he woke up.

Vladislaus straightened, highly insulted.  “Do you really think I’m foolish enough to feed on Mr. Dreamer right here in the club like this without good reason?  Then you’ve underestimated me yet again.  No wonder you can never win a spar against me.  I think that swamp slop you drink is starting to affect your intelligence, and for all of your other flaws, one thing I did not believe you were was stupid.  Naïve, misguided, and far too attached to your lost mortality, absolutely.  But stupid?  No.  Not that you deserve an explanation, but in fact, Mr. Dreamer here was a risk before I tracked him down.”

“What do you mean?”

“After you and your sister left in a huff, he came to the bar and overheard too much, asked a few too many questions, and then drank a Plasma Jane.  We knew who he was, and it was clear he was drawing conclusions.  He needed to be silenced, and our dear friend Kat was chomping at the bit for a chance at him.  Perhaps you’d have preferred I let her handle it instead?  Known for her subtlety as she is?”  He raised an eyebrow.

“No, but you could’ve just mind-wiped him.”

“This was just as effective, and besides, I was hungry.  Fear not.  I wasn’t seen, and he won’t talk.  Not if he wants to live through a second bite.”

“Vlad…”

“Don’t.”  He held up a hand.  “This conversation is over.  Don’t worry your poor little bleeding heart about Mr. Dreamer.  He’ll wake up in a little while and be just fine.  He’s a bright fellow.  Go and take him to a couch if you feel so bad for him, so his four-star behind can nap in peace.  But don’t dally too long.  After all, the poor aggrieved Wainwrights need you more, don’t they?”

Caleb sighed.  “You know, every time I think you might have a shred of decency hiding in you somewhere, you have to go and open your mouth and prove me wrong.”

“Ah, yes, dear grand-disappointment, I love you, too.  Now go on and tend to your latest injured stray like a good boy.  The night is still young, and I’m invigorated after a hearty drink.  You should try it sometime.  It’d do you good.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything