Author Topic: Should I worry about maleware?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
Should I worry about maleware?
« on: March 26, 2024, 02:54:57 PM »
Hello.

I were about to shut down but I happen to see a thread on MTS (I still read things on there but do not write anything). And it was about mods downloaded from TSR (The Sims resource) containing maleware. Now I do download quite a lot of stuff from TSR, CC like objects, clothing and so. I do not think that they can carry maleware but as I'm no computer geek I ask anyway. Here are the info I did find about the situation as is: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1222670/discussions/0/4200238624229599955/

In the text there is this tipp from Answers HQ:

To see if your system has been affected by the malicious code:
On your keyboard, press Windows Key + R together to open the Run Dialog Box.
In the window that opens, type this: %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData
In the folder that opens, look for files called Updater.exe and/or Main.exe.

I did the test on my Windows 10 computer but apart from a empty folder called Low I did not find anything. I can check my other Windows as well. I mostly download through Firefox under Linux and I don't know how to check it there. I never, ever download anything with Internet Explorer when using Windows. Just Chrome. I do not have any of the mods listed in the text.  :-\
Unpopular opinion: I like the Sims 4

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
Re: Should I worry about maleware?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 12:49:32 AM »
At least as far as anyone knows, it was only the mods listed that were a problem.  There was even a couple of creators on Curseforge who got hacked and malware uploaded by someone posing as them.
So, it was only the mods that have been listed, and as far as I know the malware infected versions were only up for a few days.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
Re: Should I worry about maleware?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 01:36:50 AM »
God morning.

Okay, thank you Brian_Z, I'm very happy to read that. As told, I do download a lot of stuff from TSR and even though I don't think that package files can be infected I don't know. I did not find the exe files on my computers so I think I'm safe.  :) At least for now.
Unpopular opinion: I like the Sims 4

anything