Author Topic: Moving Folders From Win 7 to Win 10  (Read 934 times)

Offline LulaBelle

• Nooboo
Moving Folders From Win 7 to Win 10
« on: June 19, 2023, 10:28:42 PM »
Hello everyone

I'm new here (waves!) and have a question.
I was given my aunt's Win10 desktop computer and was wondering if I could just copy all my game folders over from my Win7 to my 'new' Win10.

So I'm being clear, I want to install my original game, stuff, and expansions on the Win10, but just copy over all the rest of the game folders because I have all the same file paths that I'm going to set up.  Will that work on the Win10 or do I have to go through and reinstall every single store item and/or custom content separately?

The Win10 is substantially more powered, but the idea that I'd have to reinstall every single item all over again is kinda...bleh.  I know I'll have to install my base game and all my expansions and stuff, but was hoping to just copy over the other folders from my old computer and save me from having to 1) find all the custom content I have--which some aren't even available anymore--and 2) having to go thru and reinstall every single store item(s) and custom stuff all over again.  (It's a LOT.) :D  (Okay!  So I have a Sims 3 hording problem!)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Belle

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Moving Folders From Win 7 to Win 10
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 02:31:48 AM »
Yep, you can transfer your Sims 3 user files such as your saved games, mods, Sims etc.

Easiest way to copy or transfer Sims 3 game files, (like saved games, mods, screenshots, etc.) is to save the whole Sims 3 folder to a usb thumb drive. - This way everything is saved and backed up. Plus it's easier to copy the whole folder at once.

How to Copy -
Right-click on the Sims 3 folder, select Copy and paste it to your USB drive, take it over to your new computer and copy/paste into C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts. It may ask to override your current Sims 3 folder. Say yes, specially if it's a new install.

If you're not comfortable with that or you've been using that folder. You can rename it Sims3old or something like that so you are sure not to loose either Sims 3 folders.

More information in the post linked in the thread below.

[Info.] Transfer Sims 3 Game Saves or Sims 3 Folder to Another Computer
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=31911.msg507829#msg507829

I can't promise that you won't have to reinstall your .Sims3Pack files, due to how fussy the Sims 3 launcher is, but your custom content that is in your mods/package folder should be fine.

If having issues with Sims3Pack files or custom content installing or showing in game, see the post linked below for tips to fix that.

Sims 3 - How-To: Fix Problems with Mods/CC
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=31759.msg506010#msg506010
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.