Author Topic: March Madness: Emotional Rollercoaster  (Read 7712 times)

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
Re: March Madness: Emotional Rollercoaster
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 07:26:15 PM »
Surprisingly, I had enough human time to finish this one. Finished at 5:08 AM on the first Monday for 1268 minutes.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2023, 05:45:00 AM »
This challenge is now over.

Everyone is free to post their strategy. Great job to @jesslc with a fantastic time and the win. She was last year's overall World Ranking Champion, so she is a major threat in any challenge.

And @jesslc -- one final message to you: thank you for being direct earlier in this thread when it was decided to restart the event with the rule change. You have every right to do that, yet you were fair and professional in your opinion and not insulting. Lessons were learned moving forward. I hope you will continue to participate in the remaining season's challenges.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2023, 07:35:29 AM »
I'm glad my feedback was helpful. Here's is my strategy wrap up:

The half a day I spent on doing practice runs was very valuable. I already knew the mechanics of how emotions work in the game thanks to Carl's Guide etc, but the practice runs were where I made sure I could use them to work for me instead of against me. To save time I mostly use ways to get emotions that didn't result in the emotion persisting. Where that wasn't possible, I made sure that the new emotion would be strong enough to overtake the previous one.

I had my starting sim do basketcase first since she would start off the game as fine which saved me from having to get her into it later. She spent the first 15 min or so with a dresser changing into each of the emotional hats. This covered playful, angry, dazed, energized, flirty, inspired and sad. I also made her walk around very briefly while wearing each hat because I wanted to be sure that the game had recognized each emotional state.

For the remaining basketcase emotions the order was important as it allowed new emotions to override old ones with a minimum of effort which meant I never had to waste any time on waiting for a moodlet to expire.

She watched kids tv until she got bored. Then I turned on music she disliked which immediately made tense override bored. I made her dance until a short time after she got the uncomfortable moodlet in the background. Turning off the music stopped her from being tense, leaving her with uncomfortable as her dominant emotion for 20min or so. (How long this particular uncomfortable moodlet lasts depends on how long the sim stayed in the disliked situation after the moodlet started). Next she stopped a Sim walking past with a rude introduction followed by a pickup line and briefly played an instrument badly where sims could hear her for embarrassed.

After that she used a club to get Eric Lewis and Nina Caliente to come over. She used photos to quickly become good friends with Eric which along with the club moodlet made her happy. Finally she brushed her teeth (confident), drank some pitch black tea (focused) and had a brief nap (asleep) to finish basketcase shortly before midday.

After basketcase was done, my sim asked Eric & all his family to join our household. Alice immediately put on the angry hat and started doing angry paintings for later. I don't have Strangerville so our freebie was used on possessed.

Eric's materialistic trait made him a good choice to do the "very" versions of all the positive emotions. First he took photos with Nina until the two of them were good friends and asked her & Katrina to also move in with us. With the moodlets from a new good friend & the club, all he needed was an expensive statue to admire plus a piece of fresh fruit to eat and he easily reached very happy. Next he used all the positive emotional hats except playful followed by brushing his teeth then drinking pitch black tea. Finally it was back to the dresser for the playful hat & star shaped sunglasses to get very playful then finding a passing sim to tell jokes to until he was hysterical. I kept a very close eye on Eric because I didn't want to risk a death at this point and as soon as he was hysterical he was sent to bed to sleep it off.

Meanwhile, Dennis, Vivian and Olivia were locked in a room together immediately after they joined the household. When Dennis or Vivian got scared from a fear of death moodlet, I had them repeatedly scream incoherently at the others. And when Olivia also got scared from being screamed at, I had her repeatedly scream incoherently back at them too. In practice, I had discovered that this would sometimes (not always) result in a sim who was terrified due to fear of death and being screamed at. Fortunately this approach ended up going very smoothly in my challenge file. This was very lucky because none of my other attempts to get sims terrified in my practice runs such as seeking out ghosts and the grim reaper did anything.

After Dennis achieved terrified he had the dubious honour of getting picked to do very uncomfortable, very embarrassed and mortified via bladder failure, rude introduction + pickup line, and playing an instrument badly. Whenever I could spare a moment from supervising Eric, I had Dennis drink glasses of water to speed this up.

After Eric was done and while we waiting for Dennis's bladder to fail, I had hotheaded Nina and her mother spend their time being mean and riling each other up until they could declare each other enemies. Also Alice had finished some angry paintings by this point. Using the angry painting's emotional aura, viewing the angry painting, wearing the angry hat, and the angry moodlets the Calientes had from the socials & being enemies, we checked off both very angry and enraged. Again I sent the enraged sim to sleep immediately to avoid a death.

Meanwhile, my sim's positive moodlets from earlier were starting to wear off by now. So she achieved very tense thanks to the combination of her loner trait and turning on disliked music while she was already doing a disliked activity. Then I made her violate her vegetarian principles by eating a ham and cheese sandwich which made her very sad. Not too long after this Dennis's bladder finally failed, he did his last couple of embarrassing activities and that was that.

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 07:47:59 AM »
WOW @jesslc  - you are the ROCKSTAR of emotions!

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 08:23:57 AM »
Fantastic write-up, @jesslc . Great job!

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 09:01:06 AM »
@jesslc You definitely rocked the challenge.  Great job.  I did moongaze through the telescope for terrified and did not realize that to escape it they had to go inside.  So she ran as far as she could but it wasn't far enough.  Other than that I used the hats, tea, plumbbob lamps.  I had basketcase Monday morning and my sim died on Thursday morning.  All she had remaining were Angry, Enraged, Very Tense, and Possessed.  She had the bizarre fruit for possessed but that was going to be last.  I expected to use the freebie on Enraged.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 04:27:58 PM »
Congratulations, jesslc. What an amazing execution.

If anyone is wondering how to do it in uhmm.. double the time, here is my strategy.
The core of my strategy was the vampire ability to influence emotions, which comes in three tiers. I made a werewolf Sim (I'll get to that) and added the Price family and Vladislaus to the household. The Price family mainly because there are many Sims, so if one misses an emotion, there are still other.
Vlad is a master vampire, but he needed to reconfigure his powers, so he studied vampire lore in a tiny home that I built. Once he reached level 14 he could make a draught of reconfiguration and got the influence emotion power, rank 1. The whole household gathered in the tiny living room (with the door locked) so he could work his magic. The cool thing about this perk is that the second time you use it, it overrides the moodlet from the first time. So Vlad could just cycle through the emotions until his energy ran out. He did unfortunately have to take a few naps.
Rank 1 gave the surrounding Sims the standard emotion (e.g. 'playful). Tier 3 was enough for all the most extreme emotions, such as very confident and enraged. The emotions with a middle tear, such as very playful required a little more care, because tier 2 was usually not enough, but tier 3 was too much. But with careful making faces in the mirror, and walking in on someone showering, they were managed too.
The vampire perk can give all emotions except fine, asleep, possessed and scared. Fine and asleep are easily achieved in game, and possessed got skipped.
While Vlad was studying, my werewolf starter Sim used her powers of intimidation to scare her new friend. To get terrified, she was briefly locked up in the vault that came with Get Famous.
During this time, I also got a few of the positive emotions with emotional decor.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.