Author Topic: Werewolves - First Impressions.  (Read 7085 times)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Werewolves - First Impressions.
« on: June 16, 2022, 02:50:07 PM »
I haven't played the pack long as It was just released a little bit ago, but i AM LOVING IT. The new world for being small world plays bigger. I love it. I been playing as a humsn in a werewolves world thus far. There is a frog city in those tunnels! I have to get to bed as it is hours past my bed time. When I get up I will try actually becoming a werewolf. Just a word of caution as a normal boring sim it is real easy to get werebies in the tunnels.

And one last thing nearly two hours of play and zero bugs. I am so happy about that. That and frog city made my day.

Offline Kamxam

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Werewolves - First Impressions.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 08:51:57 PM »
Played a few hours and am enjoying it also. Fairly detailed CAS for creating your dream Werewolf. (ThereWolf!) Took me a bit to level up to the next werewolf stage but got easier once i figured it out and got more abilities to help with it. (Hint: Werewolf books can be found in the library of course but AREN'T skill books and there's no leveling it on the computer like you do with Vampire lore) Will play with it more this weekend as i'm just in the beginning stages, but it's a solid game pack for me.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 11:34:29 PM »
OK I have played this pack long enough to grade it.

Plusses

World is very active and has a large world feel for a lot with only 5 lots. Lots of things to do and see.

Were wolves add challenge not just power. Did you know you can't go to work or school while raging? this almost cost me my A in high school.  Little things like the rage system keep werewolves fun and interesting. Best occult in the game for game balance.

Lore, lots and lots of lore to learn and enjoY. it doesn't affect gameplay much but it is there to find and explore if you wish to. Sims 4 has been lacking there.

I like the CAS and Build/buy objects. Lots of good rages type items that were so lacking. Love most of this stuff.

pack integration is real. Did you know the underground tunnels can lead to other occult worlds? They can. Vampire/werewolf grude is real. There is a dog in Moonwood Mills. loads of small things. Even the lore is intertwined.

And most importantly I haven't experienced a single game braking bug yet. My Wedding Nightmare this is not.

You can even turn off werewolves in other worlds. So no forced occults.

Minuses

No new skill, career, traits, lot traits/challenges or woohoo spot.

Only 5 lots.

Werewolf packs are not customizable and limited to the two prebuilt ones.

The new harvestable is not plantible.

I think the werewolves look more cat like then wolf like.

Much of the game play is tied to the new world.

Over all this pack is great in my opinion, Best occult to date. I am very impressed. I think it is the best done game pack in The Sims 4. The minuses were nitpicky. Sold A-. I am in love with it. I highly recommend this pack.

Offline Kamxam

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 11:20:40 AM »
Up to Apex (Top) level on my Werewolf atm, and have about half or a little under half of the perks so far. Joined the Wildfangs but still not strong enough to fight the Alpha yet as i keep on losing. (Level 9 strength atm with the Alpha perk)  Werewolf leveling for me at least is slower then the Vampire's, but it is fun. Have got a "little" annoyed about the notifications about me falling behind on keeping up with the pack popping up it seems like everyday even if i do the stuff i need to do for it. Nothing really major though. All in all, its a good pack imho.

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 11:07:51 AM »
One new harvestable (Wolfsbane) is plantable. It has a medium value. the Moonpetal flower is more of a collectable - one can gather 3 per Full Moon.  I have yet to try to catch (and cook, and eat) the fish, but I have found the recipe.

I really like this pack, but there is definitely a learning curve to managing Fury, and Werewolves feel much more challenging to master than Spellcasters (I have not played Vampires - they aren't appealing to me at all). One unexpected hurdle I hit in my Legacy play is that one cannot easily achieve the pack-oriented aspirations without mingling rather a lot with NPC sims, who weren't pushed often enough to my home lot to do that. My default mode is dollhouse sandbox - meaning I mostly just play my own home, especially when managing Toddlers (and my Legacy save has six kids).

Fortunately, all of Moonwood Mills is one neighborhood, so unless I want the bar or library, I can do it all from home. But I had to learn - or be told - to get out & chat up & gift my pack mates more frequently.

Lunar Howl is a total crapshoot - you end up with four random Temperaments, although one can try again the next night, or simply refer to a list of trait codes, and use the traits.remove_trait / traits.equip_trait cheat to hand select.  Four positive traits feel like too many on one sim. Even two drastically reduce Fury gain. I am going to cheat my Legacy Apex back to two negatives, or else there is no real challenge.

Where this pack shines is in its lore, which establishes an origin for Werewolves as well as Vampires as results of Spellcaster experimentation, and finally provides an in-game account for the sundering of the Magic Realm. I have yet to find the entire relic collection, or all books, across two saves, but have uncovered quite a lot (with a lot of duplication) through scavenging and tunnel exploration. The books not only serve to unlock Lunar Epiphany - the Latent Trait necessary to decipher werewolf secrets, but also contain useful tips, and explain matters like how to turn a Dormant Wolf sim into a full werewolf, without resorting to werebies infection or a cursed bite.

One useful tidbit suggests other worlds suited to werewolf habitation - necessary, if one is expanding a legacy beyond the single 30x30 lot.  I can see real potential for crossover play in Evergreen Harbor, and possibly Henford on Bagley as well. Other worlds are more of a stretch, but not impossible. A 2x2 footprint debug menu BB placeable allows a free portal to Moonwood Mill, from any world, or of course the M key shortcut is easy enough to use anywhere.

I love the rough, Grunge style of the CAS and BB offerings, and they pair well with some previous pieces - CAS from Eco Lifestyle and the more raggedy Realm of Magic looks - and have enjoyed styling my sims. All in all, a fine Game Pack, perhaps my favorite to date.

"Who cannot draw upon three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

Offline Cisi_Arashi

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 10:57:46 PM »
Ugh, I was coming back to make The Sims 4 my wind-down for the night before bed... and I find this. *sigh*

Well, there are vampires so it was gonna be impossible to not include their lycanthropic rivals in horror fiction. At least these werewolves look a lot better than the ones in previous Sims games. Trust me, the Sims 2 werewolves were laughably bad.  ;D

I only have 19.2 GB of memory and every expansion and pack shrinks that memory. (I'm hoping to see if I can save up for a gaming laptop to install The Sims 4 on which can handle the packs. I have Snowy Escape, Seasons[which got installed without my permission!  >:(], and Get to Work and now my memory is shrinking. I can't install everything I bought on this computer as I'd run out of memory, so I have to pick and choose. But I want to avoid supernatural things in my Sims 4 for now.