Author Topic: Townies! Love is in the Air  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Townies! Love is in the Air
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 09:33:22 AM »
Just a reminder that this challenge ends Sunday night. Good luck to everyone finishing up.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 05:49:53 AM »
I won't be able to play this one, sadly. Too little free time nowadays... My score is 1 (I barely started).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 07:47:04 AM »
I have only managed a week & a half. 8 sims completed Soulmate and 9 sims completed Serial Romantic.

Total = 26 points

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 02:48:27 PM »
I really wanted to play but time is not on my side. I got 4 Soulmates and 10 Serial romantics = 24 points

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 02:55:58 PM »
I started the challenge but only got as far as the end of Week 1 - does that count as a DNF or do I just post my score for as far as I got? I completed one Serial Romantic so my score would be 2.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 04:26:50 PM »
I'll join the 'barely started' club: my score is 3.
(1 Soulmate, 1 Serial Romantic)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2022, 05:37:33 PM »
Didn't get too far unfortunately, and I am gaming with a friend tonight, so I better post my score now.

1 Soulmate and 1 Serial Romantic. = 3 pts

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2022, 08:08:44 PM »
Ran out of time, but really enjoyed the time I did play this challenge.

1 Serial Romantic and 4 Soulmates = 6 pts

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2022, 10:59:08 PM »
Didn't play test - that was a mistake.

6 serial romantics
19 soulmates

Offline Ravencloud999

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2022, 11:56:45 PM »
Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish this one, only got about a week like everyone else, so my score is:

3 serial romantic aspirations completed x 2 = 6 points

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 06:03:59 AM »
This challenge is now closed.

A pretty small field for this one, but it's exciting to see a new faces at the top — SueDenim and jesslc. Congrats to both of you. :) Everyone is now free to share their strategies. Thanks to all who participated.

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2022, 12:02:26 PM »
Yay.
I think the main thing I did was have enough time to finish the challenge.  (though I didn't have time to play test/research)

Didn't want to deal with teenagers (to start) or to break up households (I know they're just sims.  still), so I focused on single adults.

I started by marrying single sims into (but not moving them into) multi-single adult households (e.g., my original sim married Summer Holiday, Catarina Lynx married Sergio Romeo, no one changed houses.) and did the soulmate aspiration with all of them.

After I ran out of single, housed adults, I switched over to the houses where I had married one or more of the residents and did the soulmate aspiration on the ones that were married while doing the serial aspiration on the ones that weren't.  I tried to set all all of the serials up in relationships with each other (for part 4 of the aspiration), but that was only moderately successful.

I was really, really bad at the serial romantic half of the challenge.  Part of it was consistently choosing the wrong roommates to marry (see example above. Anyone who had really looked would have chosen to Joaquin as the soulmate and Sergio as the serial) and consequently the wrong roommates to have as serial romantics.  I also just had trouble with every single step of the serial aspiration. Nothing seemed to work consistently.

I'd love to hear how people got serial romantics quickly. Even though I had way more soulmates, the bulk of my time was on serials.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2022, 05:32:29 AM »
Congratulations SueDenim!

I can't believe I came in second with only a week and a half - I guess every one was super busy this month. I know I made quite a lot of mistakes in that week & a half too since I didn't really practice either.

I did spend quite a bit of time thinking about how to approach this. In particular, I thought a lot about how I could overlap sims completing the love aspirations as much as possible. I mentally weighed up whether the extra point from 1 extra serial romantic would be worth the extra time needed (compared to having 2 soulmates in the same household). In the end I didn't get to practice any of my theorising so I decided to just go with the following plan - 2 sims in each household would do soulmate and everyone else would do serial romantic.

All dates were done at home. I aimed to micromanage things so that the serial romantics would practice charisma while the soulmates got through the first couple of levels of their aspirations. Since I mostly focused on households with an already married couple in them, that was usually done in a few hours. Then the soulmates were left to their own devices for a bit while the serial romantics zipped through their initial dates.

You can cancel the initial dates for stage 1 of the love aspirations straight away without much penalty. (Seems to be just a low chance of an awkward sentiment). I usually did this for the soulmates except sometimes I forgot. But since the serial romantics' later stages would need them to have had a certain number of first kisses and boyfriends/girlfriends, I would make their initial dates go until they got to that point.

Once the serial romantics had done their initial dates, they would work on all the kissing they needed to do while the soulmates did their 3 gold star dates needed for the final stage of soulmate. Then the serial romantics had to do their gold star dates and occasionally I'd queue up a pile of romantic socials for the soulmates to do with each other so that they would also finish. The soulmates generally added a few romantic interactions to their counters autonomously but not as much as I'd hoped.

I found ways to keep the soulmates away from the others so that they wouldn't interrupt conversations if they ran out of queued tasks as generally the serial romantics needed my attention more. Either I took advantage of the door locking feature to lock them into the master suite or I put them upstairs and then moved furniture in the way so that they couldn't get to the stairs anymore.

I also used clubs a lot, mainly for my serial romantics. It appears to be the quickest way to meet sims and you can make your next prospect turn up in the middle of the night, if necessary. I made sure to pass the clubs onto the next household before moving to avoid having to save up for perks again. The soulmates would only ever join a club very briefly when we needed to rally the troops.

Clubs or the "add to group" function were also used frequently to move a serial romantic and their next romantic propect into a different room/inside/outside/anywhere where they couldn't be seen by their previous romantic prospect, if the sim hadn't got around to leaving the premise yet despite me sending them home. I also made sure that at least one of the early dates was gold to get the reward which gives a flirty aura. If necessary, I would move it round the lot to wherever it was needed but usually between all the early dates I ended up with more than one. If it wasn't enough to change a romantic prospect's mood to flirty on its own, I would make use of brighten day/heartfelt compliment and/or taking photos with them to give them enough happy moodlets to boost flirty above any negative emotion.

One of the things that I could have done a lot better if I'd actually practiced was my choice of sims and households. I definitely made quite a few errors there. eg Rohan Elderberry's loner trait makes him not a great choice for serial romantic. I probably should have gone somewhere else rather than the Elderberrys at that point but by the time I'd discovered that, it was too late and I had to make the best of it (extra charisma training, extra flirty moodlets, and - unlike the rest of my serial romantics - I tried to have him avoid romancing anyone who I knew would have some romantic feelings for other sims already ie. all the teens who'd been involved with Olivia Kim Lewis at the previous house).

The first household I went to after my starting sim was the Spencer-Kim-Lewis household. My reasons for picking it were mostly rendered moot by the fact I only managed to complete a week and half but I'll explain my reasoning anyway. Going there early meant I would get their household done before there's any chance that Vivian or Dennis might die and Vivian also starts with some cooking skill. So while Alice & Eric got started on soulmates and Dennis practised charisma, Vivian baked a couple of birthday cakes and Olivia used a club to get groups of children to come over. They were all made to age up (Olivia first) thus providing plenty of suitable romance prospects for my teen serial romantics.

No one ever went to work or school either. I just had them call up and take vacation days and I wasn't ever with a household long enough to run out.

That's about all I can think of. The almost constant dates started to get to me after a while, so I ended up deciding to finish after my 5th household (that's including my starting household). There were only a few hours left before the deadline here at that point anyway - I probably wouldn't have managed another household anyway, not with how slow I tend to play.

anything