Author Topic: Secret Rooms and Passages  (Read 23975 times)

lulu72188

Secret Rooms and Passages
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:48:43 PM »
I'm thinking about making a house with a secret room in it.  I was wondering if anyone had attempted something similar, or had an interesting or cool way of doing it.

So far, I've tried using the "hidden room" marker, but this seams to mess up how my lot is structured, and I have trouble building on the rest of the lot after I've marked rooms as hidden.  Also, it's not exactly what I'm looking for, because after one family member 'discovers' the secret door, it stays revealed to the family, as far as I can tell.  Ideally, the door would redisappear after some time, or not be a door but somehow be visually hidden. Although right now I would settle for anything secret-like.

So, my question is, has anybody tried to make a secret room or passage using any (non-mod) method?  Do you have any suggestions for things I might be able to try?

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
Re: Secret Rooms and Passages
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
You can create a "resealing room" by setting up a series of tomb triggers.  You might want to refresh yourself on triggers over in the tomb building guide, unless you're already savvy on the topic.

Basically, lay down two distinct objects that can act as triggers: say, two torches or two standing locations.  I once built a secret room out the side of a bathroom and used two toilet stalls, myself.  :D

Basically, link one to the hidden room marker, and have it "unfog" the room.  Then, have the other, "re-fog" the room.  This can also be applied to the pushable wall, having one marker open the push wall, and the other, close + "make undiscovered" the push wall.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »
Another idea is to use the Eyes of Horus which act as portable teleports, I set some up one in the normal basement and the other a few levels below in the Valuable (Secret Scientists Lab) area.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

lulu72188

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »
Another idea is to use the Eyes of Horus which act as portable teleports, I set some up one in the normal basement and the other a few levels below in the Valuable (Secret Scientists Lab) area.

I hadn't thought of that- maybe I'll try making a "this house is bigger on the inside than the outside" kind of thing.

Basically, link one to the hidden room marker, and have it "unfog" the room.  Then, have the other, "re-fog" the room.  This can also be applied to the pushable wall, having one marker open the push wall, and the other, close + "make undiscovered" the push wall.

Using hidden trigger panels, I can have the door reseal itself, which is pretty cool.  However, I'm having trouble getting a trigger to "re-fog" the room.  I don't see it as an option for "Activated behaviors" in the tomb room marker, although I can manually re-fog the room using the fog menu.  Am I missing something?

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
Oh goodness, I looked back and it appears I have oversold myself.  I never had an in-game re-fogging effect, just thought I had.  :-X

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

lulu72188

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
Bummer.  Thanks for the advice on series of switches though- I can think of a few pretty cool things to try!

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:51:09 PM »
There's nothing quite as satisfying as incorporated ancient tomb technology into quiet suburban living.  ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything