Author Topic: City Living singing skill - no classical?  (Read 6334 times)

Offline Bestiarius

• Nooboo
City Living singing skill - no classical?
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
Hi everyone.
As a committed singer and simmer I was extremely exited for the singing skill intoduced in City Living. I recently got the expansion and attempted to get my sim to the 10th level of singing skill. I was extremely disappointed to see no classical music singing options, as I am a classical music and opera fan! Do you also think there should be an option for singing classical/opera? I'm not even that much disappointed at the fact that the pitch of the speaking voice of the sim doesn't change the singing pitch, but with all of the classical and even baroque music on the radio and instruments why is there no classical music for singing?

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
Re: City Living singing skill - no classical?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:56:01 AM »
Did you tested with a sim who has a high level in piano, or maybe on the pipe organ? With instruments, differents kind of songs are offered if I remember right.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
@Bestarius

My sims household was plagued by a gardener who wouldn't leave for days (until the active sim moved out).
We locked the gardener out of the garden area but he stood beside it day and night for about a week.
In his boredom, he began singing (yes, also day and night) and eventually got rather skilled. I thought he was singing operatic arias.

Carl's Guide on the Singing skill states:
Theater Drama songs can be sung on the Microphone, Guitar, Piano, and under the Sing Song menu when clicking the Sim.
Could "Theater Drama songs" refer to opera?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 02:12:51 PM »
Theater Dramas sound more like rock ballads to me idk though as I'm no singing genre expert.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 02:20:19 PM »
@Playalot   Remind me never to sing in your shower, lol. Honestly, I usually set Singing as a banned club activity.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
@Playalot   Remind me never to sing in your shower, lol. Honestly, I usually set Singing as a banned club activity.

I went back and deleted that portion of my post as it sounded a little rude towards the op which wasn't my intention. But yes, singing female sims get deleted as does anyone who dares to sing in any restaurant my sims visit. lol

Wait! What? You encourage sims to sing?  :o Cripes! At the start of every new game (and I start a lot) I cheat all my own sims to singing level 7, anything below that sounds hideous. I always cancel any action that my sims do to autonomously sing as well. Yet weirdly I adore my sim singing and playing the guitar at the same time.

Offline Bestiarius

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
Yeah, theatre drama was supposed to be more like Broadway musicals, I think :D

Yes, I've tried, and you can always sing nothing more than pop/folk/theatre drama/jazz. Also, I realized that in the musician career exercising singing doesn't count as the everyday task, that is to exercise music. I think that's a bit weird.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Bestiarius

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
@Bestarius

My sims household was plagued by a gardener who wouldn't leave for days (until the active sim moved out).
We locked the gardener out of the garden area but he stood beside it day and night for about a week.
In his boredom, he began singing (yes, also day and night) and eventually got rather skilled. I thought he was singing operatic arias.

Haha, that must have been both hillarious and extremely annoying! I think he was just exercising, not singing anything in particular.

Sims actually even sing parts of Schubert's "Ave Maria", from what I've heard, while exercising at some point, but they can never perform anything like that as a standalone song.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
@Bestiarius
I tried having a sim use a microphone to sing the Theatrical Drama songs (I've never even heard of this genre before, tbh) and you are right.
Definitely not arias. That's odd about my gardener, though.
And I'm sure I've also heard other sims with high-level Singing performing what sounds like opera (to me). Certainly not pop, rock, country, or jazz.

@Playalot
I set singing to banned club activity.
I enjoy the singing of sims with a high singing level, so I see why you'd want to cheat your sims' to Level 7 right away.
I don't appreciate autonomous serenading that sends the serenaded sim to work in a flirty mood, haha..

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
Ohhh, some how my eyes skipped the word 'banned' entirely  ;D oshizu

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:12:04 PM »
@Bestiarius

Exactly! Mostly, I found that gardener a complete nuisance because (1) he wouldn't leave and (2) he would try to tend the garden over the fence.
But occasionaly, I would peek outdoors then crack up over the sight of him singing his pixelated heart out.
Here's a shot for your viewing pleasure. Is he taking himself seriously or what? He's standing there singing alone in the middle of the night.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if he was singing Ave Maria.
I agree with you that it's very odd that our sims have no classical choices on the microphone and musical instruments. Why exercising?

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »
Could 'exercise' be another way of translating 'practice'?

In my Apocalypse challenge, if I had a sim who was being very annoying - like trying to give a massage at the wrong time or never leaving the woodwork table alone, I would send them to the far side of the lot and tell them to sing.  Perfect way to keep them occupied :)

I'm sure they can write a classical piece on the violin so it's sad that they can't sing one.  Wonder if there is a mod somewhere to add that in?