Author Topic: Recommendations for external hard drives suitable to store Sims 4?  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Dataintcoot

• Nooboo
Hello!
Basically as I've started to install new EP/GP/SPs to my game it has become really slow which I knew would happen, especially when I am playing on a standard laptop. I was wondering firstly if it would be a good idea to get an external hard drive to store the Sims on so that it will run faster? Also I'm not sure what I should looking for with regards to space, value for money etc.

Please help! It would be much appreciated as I'm starting to become frustrated with how slow my game is running.

Thanks!  :)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Recommendations for external hard drives suitable to store Sims 4?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »
It's not recommended to try to load/play Sims off of an external hard drive or USB. As games are not meant to run on an external hard drive. The performance is worse. They're more made to be loaded/played on the internal drive.

What may be a better idea is to move files crowding the main hard drive over to an external one if the main one gets too full. As a backup. This would make more space for the game to load faster and the computer won't have to search through so much to find the files it needs.

If you're looking for an external hard drive to have as a backup it would depend on what your budget is for the drive and how much space you want. For example a 1TB external HD is $50-$60 sometimes more, depending on brand. 4TB is $100 or more. It goes up from there depending on how many more TBs of storage you want.

Along with cleaning up the internal hard drive - moving some files to an external hard drive, you can try these tips on getting the game to run better.

How-To: Reduce Load, Load Faster
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=23697.msg412348#msg412348
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.