Author Topic: Twenty Years Earlier (update, Oct 18)  (Read 5601 times)

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Twenty Years Earlier (update, Sept 16)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »
Thank you for satisfying my curiosity about the toddlers' traits.
I really enjoy hearing about what kind of decisions you make as you play and what your choice-making criteria are.  :)

Offline NexttoNormal

• Townie
  • A bit dramatic, a little insane, mostly artistic
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
Aww, everyone looks so cute as toddlers and I think the traits you chose suit their adult traits/aspirations pretty well! I'm definitely going to follow this!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
Chapter 6 -- Not Good News

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

"It's very kind of you to invite me out to dinner," said Belinda. "But I'm afraid you're doing it because you have bad news."
     "It's not good news," Arnold admitted. "But it could be worse. Why don't we eat first, and then I'll tell you."
     "The chef's special is the fish pie," said Belinda. "I suppose that should be all right."

Belinda's meal was okay; Arnold's was undercooked. When they had finished eating, Arnold asked Belinda how things were going.
   "You're stalling," Belinda scolded him. "I want the 'not bad news' first."
     "Very well," said Arnold. "The TRC doesn't see any reason for the parents to write to children who aren't able to read yet. And that means we'll probably have to wait until the children are a little older before we can start sending them coded letters."
     Belinda stared at him in disbelief. "But that could take years," she blurted.
     "That's why I asked how things were going. How's the nanny working out?"

"She's not great," said Belinda. "She spends a lot of time standing around and staring off into space.

"And I caught her reading on duty the other day. But the children seem to like her. I'm afraid to fire her in case the agency sends someone worse."

"And how are you doing? Are you getting enough sleep?"
     "Heavens, no," said Belinda. "Someone is always waking up with a nightmare in the middle of the night, and they come to me for a hug.

"In the meantime, they've awakened everyone else in the room, and they all troop downstairs for food or a bath or something."

"Would it help if I came over?" Arnold asked.
     "Brave man," Belinda commented. "But of course you're welcome any time. The children will enjoy having someone new to talk to."

While he was there, Arnold Farquar finished the barn that he and Belinda had started working on during his last visit.

As he was leaving, Summer Holiday came running downstairs to say good-bye -- minus her clothing.

Belinda sighed. Maybe he would decide that other arrangements needed to be made for the children, and maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. But she didn't like to be thought incapable of looking after a few toddlers.

The next morning, while she took Zoe to the park, she composed a letter to him:

Dear Mr. Farquar,
I may have given you the impression the other day that things were not going well. Actually, the children are making progress. For one thing, they have enough imagination now to enjoy playing with the tunnels and pretending that they're on a rocket or pirate ship.

They're talking to each other more, now that they can talk, and that relieves their need to get attention from me or the nanny.

Speaking of the nanny, she seems to be taking her duties more seriously. Also, the children have gotten better at communicating their needs, asking for food or a bath instead of just crying.

With cooler weather coming, I've gotten warmer outfits for all of them, including Summer. She's the one wearing the white hat.

Finally, I want to thank you for finishing the barn. It's perfect for the boys, who are beginning to think that the doll house is something only girls play with.

In short, everyone is healthy and happy, and things really are getting a little easier for me. If you're able to write to my friends, let them know that I'll be able to send more letters to them soon.

Yours sincerely, Belinda Milam

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
Re: Twenty Years Earlier (update, Oct 3)
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »
This is still so entertaining. I love the shot of the boys playing with the barn. Nannies, though. I tell you! They're only about as useful as you make them. I don't think I've ever had one do anything helpful autonomously. Good thing the kids are getting better at asking for what they need!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: Twenty Years Earlier (update, Oct 3)
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »
Chapter 7 -- A Response from the TRC

Days turned into weeks, each similar to the other. The children played, slept, needed food and baths.

Gradually there were changes. They played together more often, and all of them were potty-trained by now.

They talked more, and even free spirit J was anxious to tell her stories.

The children were easier to teach, too, more willing to sit still for a session of flash cards.

One day Arnold Farquar called and suggested that Belinda come over to his office. "The TRC sent some pictures," he said. "I'd like your help in identifying them."
     "You could come over here," Belinda suggested.
     "I think you'd prefer to do this in a quiet environment," he countered.
     When Belinda arrived, she noticed that he seemed a bit distressed. "The pictures?" she reminded him.

Arnold Farquar went over to the bookcase. "There are only seven," he told her. "By our count, there should be fourteen." Without another word, he handed her the folder.
     Belinda gasped. "They're all so thin," she exclaimed.
     "But you do recognize them?" Arnold asked.

"Yes, this is J Huntington, Jr.," Belinda told him.

"And this is Ski Holiday."
     "Do you mean Marguerite?"
     "Yes," said Belinda. "We all called her Ski, though, because she loved winter sports. And she used to have long hair -- it looks like she hacked it off with a knife."
     "I doubt they'd be allowed knives," said Arnold. "It might have been a seashell, or maybe she got it cut before being taken hostage."

"This is Gavin's father, Thomas Richardson," Belinda continued. "He didn't used to have a beard."

"Liberty's father," she continued, "but he's very pale. In fact, all of them are except Thomas."
     "So we know they're imprisoned inside," said Arnold. "The government agents might find that interesting."

"That's Travis's mother, Martha," said Belinda. "She helped me get through calculus..." Her voice broke.
     "It's better if you just identify them," said Arnold.  "Try not to bring up your memories."

"Yes, of course," Belinda said with a sniff. "That's Mitchell's father, but he used to have more hair..."

"...and Zoe's mother. But where are their spouses?"
     "We don't know," said Arnold. "There could be some simple explanation like the camera ran out of film. Or maybe the TRC is trying to negotiate some concession by providing pictures of only half the group. I'm out of the loop on communication with them. The government agents want the photos back, but I can make copies for you if you think their children would like them."
     Belinda hesitated. Would Gavin want to see his father with his ribs sticking out? And wouldn't everyone want to know where Mommy or Daddy was? Still, copies of the photos would be better than nothing. "Yes," she said. "Give me some copies."
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Twenty Years Earlier (update, Oct 18)
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
Nooooo, not a sad ending!

Ahem, I'll just have to wait and read what happens. *crosses fingers

(Loved the shot of little J!)