Author Topic: Computer Help  (Read 9400 times)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Computer Help, back with some more questions!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
Okay, There is a computer guy that lives by my aunt, so we still have to give him a call to see if he has any computers that could play the sims or any advice. I think he refurbishes them too, so maybe I could find a good one there for a cheap price.

That is definitely a good idea. :) Refurbished computers are usually cheaper than buying new so you can have higher specs if you're willing buy refurbished.

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »
What do you think the main things are that I should tell the guy I am looking for in a computer that can play sims3 and eps? I know it has to have atleast 8 gb of ram, but I don't really know what good graphics cards are and all that stuff.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 06:53:16 PM »
Talk to him about a good processor, say that you'll need at least 3.0GHz of power on that processor. The GHz (gigahertz) is how much power the processor has. Talk to him about NVidia Graphics cards (preferably newer ones rather than older ones as they're more likely to handle more) as well as the 8 gigs of ram.

Generally tell him you're looking for a good gaming/high performance PC for ____ (insert budget). Then go on to say it'll need about 8 gigs of ram or more, a decent processor and a recognized graphics card.

You can say people have recommended NVidia cards, but just see what he says. Being a computer guy he should know exactly what you're talking about.

He may tell you your budget isn't enough, if he does then just tell him you'll take the best of what you can get on your budget.

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
Okay. Thank you for helping me so much Livvielove    :D

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
Re: Computer Help
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
I am back again, hehe. Still no computer, life just got busy and such. I am now on the hunt again for a laptop to play sims 3+ eps decently. I've been trying to learn all the computer spec stuff but I don't trust myself to be able to tell if a computer can actually play something well. So I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this laptop would do okay? Thank you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-INSPIRON-17-gaming-LAPTOP-2-4Gh-UPGRADED-w-1TB-HDD-DVD-RW-Win-10-Red-/201527367604?hash=item2eebf797b4%3Ag%3AQGEAAOSwxvxW8btG

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »
We don't recommend this laptop as won't give very good gaming performance. Meaning it won't run the game well.

We could give you suggestions if you would like to tell us what country you live in and what your budget is.

If your trying to find something on your own this is what specs to be looking for.

Laptop Specs:

Processor : i7 HQ or MQ quad ~ 2.4 GHz
Video card : Nvidia GTX 960m or better
computer ram 8gb
hard drive space at least 500 gb
windows 64 bit

The specs above will allow for med. - high settings and will run the game well.

Please keep in mind that due to the game engine's quirks, and the game being poorly optimized the game still suffers from micro-stutters and periodic slow downs. There is not a lot you can do to fix this.

Also the more content you add to the game, like custom content, game mods and store content the more the game will lag. This is due to the way the game handles additional content. Again, not much can be done to speed that up unfortunately.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
Definitely going to piggy-back off what @MrsFlynn said! The computer you've got there runs a mobile processor and would not be sustainable. You'd spend $300 now and likely end up with a burnt-out processor in a year, maybe less, meaning you'd have to buy another computer. It's just not worth it.

Just let us know what kind of budget your looking at and where and we can give more suggestions! Or, if you find another computer, feel free to drop it by here and we'll take a look see!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:58 PM »
Okay, thanks everyone! I'm thinking maybe I could find a refurbished one or something that way its cheaper. I'd like to stay under $700, but I know that's hard to do with a laptop.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
I've found a couple, they are more expensive. But will give you an idea of what you can look for.

Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK 15.6 Inch = Price:    $799.99
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYZ0J6

- Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Processor
- 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
- High Settings

==========
MSI GP62 Leopard Pro-002 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop = Price: $839.00
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP62-Leopard-Pro-002-15-6-Inch/dp/B00ETM09LK

- Intel Core i7-5700HQ 2.7 GHz Processor
- 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX950M
- Med-High Settings

I've tried searching for refurbished laptops and am not able to find something that will meet the demands of the game. Most of what I've found refurbished are laptops that aren't suited for gaming.   

In any case, I'd definitely recommend a cooling mat. To help keep the laptop cooler while playing any game. Here's one, for example.

Mobility Laptop Cooling Pad = Price: $21.99
https://www.amazon.com/Mobility-Laptop-Cooling-Pad-Adjustable/dp/B01FR3QNV4
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
What about this one? http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-15-inch/?IPromoID=LEN516065#galleryPhoto I've been looking, but I want to try and make sure I can get the best I can get for the amount I want to pay (Like $700 max but could go $800) I know its not a lot of money to work with but I just can't bring myself to spend more than that.

Also I already have a few of the Expansions on disc, if I get laptop that doesn't take discs am I still able to use the codes that came with the disc? I read something about being able to to do that but I want to be sure.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
Yep, the Lenovo laptop should work well for Sims 3. Along with a cooling mat, an example of that is linked in my post above.

Yes, If you've got your game discs registered with Sim3.com (http://www.thesims3.com/) You should be able to download a copy of the game via Origin. See post linked below for more details.

Register Games at Sims3.com for Digital Copies
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21759.msg388987#msg388987

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-laptop---15t-x7r21av-1 What about this one? The Lenovo one was out of stock, now its back but cost more :/

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
The HP Omen will work great. My only concern is how thin it is. Doesn't have a lot of room for ventilation. So it may get hotter quicker. Which may mean you can't game as long. However, a cooling mat, as mentioned above will help a little with cooling.

anything