Author Topic: Can't Upload/Install Custom Patterns  (Read 2732 times)

Offline gothceltgirl

• Nooboo
Can't Upload/Install Custom Patterns
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:16:29 PM »
So I discovered some cool new techniques to make wonderful new patterns using CAP, thanks to the guide, but now they're not working in my Sims 3 game. I moved the files to the downloads folder, can't see them, clicking on them only opens up CAP again, nothing works. The file types are CAP not the custom content type or whatever. I've looked everywhere, including in the official forum, to no avail.  ??? I want to share my new patterns with the world, the Sims world.  ;D

I can't even get a screen shot of the awesome power of my new patterns.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Can't Upload/Install Custom Patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:02:13 AM »
Thank you for explaining a little of what the issue is. I jumped into CAP to refresh my memory on how to use and save the file. I also re-read my personal notes I have on it. I may have found what may need to be done to save it and get it in-game.

To save the file click on the Options Menu (...) and select Export to export the pattern - give name, category and description, then click the checkmark to save.

When exporting (saving the file) it will be saved in the Exports folder.
Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3 > Exports folder.

You will need to install the pattern. For example Patternname.Sims3Pack into the game for them to show up in-game. Copy and paste the pattern into the downloads folder. Open the launcher and then double-click on the file to install it. If that doesn't work, go to the Downloads tab and checkmark the pattern and click install.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline gothceltgirl

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
Yes I tried exporting them as well, naming, describing, etc. but it didn't work. They're saved in a different file format, it ends in .CAP instead of the other custom content ones which do show up in the downloads (and other) folders. Exporting files, moving, copying, it doesn't matter what I try they're not working. They don't show up no matter what I do, unless I go in and change the file extension. That will have to be my last resort, if that doesn't work, then it's no longer compatible, or perhaps just isn't working for me at the moment.

*UPDATE* I kept getting really mixed up for some reason. ADHD + Insomnia makes me quite the dopey gal. I wasn't looking in the Exports folder, didn't even see it till just now. They're not in that folder, just a bunch of old & other recent custom content that I've exported.

I realize that I was looking in the wrong "Exports" folder. Here's hoping that I've finally gotten it together now. Sorry about this tirade of craziness. I'm not a morning person, but can't sleep, so I've not gone to bed yet. Well, I went but didn't sleep.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
When I first saved my file last night, it came out in a .cap file too. It's then I realized we made the same mistake. So I refered to my notes and saw that in order to "save" the file where it can be seen in game, you need to click the Options Menu > Export, slelect category, give a description. Then click the checkmark when finished.

It will then be saved to: C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Exports

Re-read the instructions in my first post to get it installed into the game.

It's a tricky program to use. Once you learn how to use it, it gets easier. Once you get better at it, take notes for yourself to use for later. The notes come in very handy when trying to troubleshoot problems you might have. :)

I don't know if you've seen Ausette's article on making patterns with CAP. It gives some basic tips and more advanced tips on making patterns.

Making Patterns: Tips for Beginners and Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=6409.msg132486#msg132486
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline gothceltgirl

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
Mine are actually not located in that particular "Exports" folder, but in C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\Exports, which isn't in the Sims 3 Exports, that one, at least for me, is for when I'm going to upload something to share on the site. That's another reason why I was confused. The exports folder isn't the same, there are actually 2 different ones. At least for me. And the whole confusion with the CAP was my own confusion, as I couldn't locate the exports to move into the downloads folder, even though I'd exported them in the app.

anything