Author Topic: Image of TS4 Simlish characters/letters and our 26 letters  (Read 5104 times)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
Image of TS4 Simlish characters/letters and our 26 letters
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
Is the attached image of the Simlish alphabet from TS4, and are these the corresponding letters in our alphabet?

TS4 Simlish Characters and Our Letters.jpg

I can recognize some of the characters (or are they called letters, too), but I think the game would be even more fun if I knew which one was which so I could read signs and computer text.

I know about 10 or so words in Simlish, and I can recognize some longer spoken phrases.  I'm not planning to become fluent in Simlish (I'm fluent in French, though, and an intermediate in Dutch.)  However, it would be nice to read some TS4 Simlish.

Thanks a lot!  ;D

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Image of TS4 Simlish characters/letters and our 26 letters
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:54:29 PM »
I didn't think Simlish was actually organized into a recognizable language. I thought it was just a few basic phrases that have been built on over the development course of the game. I'm pretty sure you can't really translate the 'script' of Simlish into a working alphabet.

Happy to be proved wrong though!  ;)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 12:24:47 AM »
I notice some Greek letters in there, as well as a couple that look Arabic (but I'm not familiar with the Arabic alphabet so I may be wrong). In either case, Simlish was originally derived as a gibberish language, with a few constants (ie nooboo=baby, chumcha=Pizza, dag-dag/sul-sul=Hello) sprinkled throughout. In general, Simlish is a nonsense alphabet. :) There's a couple of characters that seem to be derived from other languages - like ß (eszett - German), η (lowercase Eta - Greek) and Ω (uppercase Omega - Greek), though.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 01:06:31 AM »
Thanks, @Playalot and @Seabody!  It's O.K. if Simlish can't be represented in written form.  I agree that some words are always used in TS4 (i.e. nooboo means baby and "yibs" seems to mean cool or great, and it can be used sarcastically, too.) 

Seabody, It's interesting that some of them are Greek characters or German.  You are probably right that some of them are Arabic, too, although, I don't know either.  I just happened to see the chart I attached on Google, so, I wondered if it was or could be right.

I have noticed some French words mixed in "Cest bon" (That's good) in one of their campfire songs, as well as Latin ("suma" when a child or anyone being mentored gets the point that their mentor was trying to make about homework or the piano skill. I have noticed some Dutch sounding words, too, such as "beijna," which means almost in Dutch.

So, being fluent in French and an intermediate in Dutch has certainly helped me in TS4.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 01:01:55 PM »
Yeah, there are a lot of different languages in Simlish, and one Simlish word can be translated as many things.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 03:28:20 PM »
Yeah, there are a lot of different languages in Simlish, and one Simlish word can be translated as many things.
That makes Simlish cool!  Yeah, like "yibs" seems to mean, great or cool, etc.  Rarely, I hear an English word, but they are mixed in.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
There ARE words that *sound* English, and some that sound exactly (or almost) the same as English words, and they seem to have American-ish quirky accents, but it's not meant to be anything like English, just to feel like they're saying something fitting. It's basically all Earth languages smoshed together but with an American accent.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 03:08:27 PM »
I would think that even if we could match Simlish letters, with an English alphabet, we don't know how anything is spelled, and what the rules of grammar are. I suspect, they haven't worked that part out, since it's not necessary to the game. I'm not sure that any sign in the game, is meant to mean anything. There might be a spelled word for Llama, though. As for the verbal language, I suspect that they do actually have that worked out, to some extent. That part actually does enhance gameplay, if the speech sounds natural, and is consistent.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 05:25:46 PM »
It is interesting, though, that many languages are used as a basis for Simlish words.  I find language intriguing --- especially grammar.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 04:50:59 AM »
Girbits is the simlish word for llama.  ;) (And the nickname\screen name of Frances Worthington I)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 04:54:43 AM »
Girbits is the simlish word for llama.  ;) (And the nickname\screen name of Frances Worthington I)
That's cool, @Nimrod Mikkusu! :)

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »
That's cool, @Nimrod Mikkusu! :)

Yeah, it is.  ;)

anything