Author Topic: Mentoring  (Read 214825 times)

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
Re: Mentoring
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »
What I might like to see, if they ever decided to make an update, new edition, or an expansion pack, is a use for the mentoring skill. As my Sim was mentoring another in painting, I was thinking about how it might be interesting to set up a studio & have an art school. Maybe, a Sim might also be able to give piano lessons, or music lessons. You could get text reminders, so you can keep appointments with students. Maybe, the text could allow you to respond & be transported instantly, so you wouldn't have to deal with guests. Alternately, it could give you 15 minutes to be at the student's house.

Offline vainglorious11

• Nooboo
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 02:28:44 AM »
I was stuck on this for a while while working on my Musical Genius aspiration in a one-Sim house. At first I tried planting a guitar in public and waiting for someone to play it but that was slow going.

Then I discovered I could hire a guitar player by clicking on the guitar in the world. And I was able to mentor him repeatedly whenever he picked up the guitar during his shift. After a couple of shifts at $100 each I got my three hours of mentoring in. Kind of ridiculous to pay to give lessons to a professional but it worked!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »
Awesome tip :)

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »
You might try planting more than one guitar. The museum seems to be a busy place. You might try enlarging the building & putting out some guitars. Having more than one seems to increase the chance, that someone will randomly pick it up, especially, if there's not anything more interesting around. When I get the whim to earn tips, there is a place to the side of the Oasis Springs museum, where I placed a piano. The cool thing is, I can tell when someone is going to listen, because they either go in the door, or they make a left & go around the back of the building.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2016, 08:53:01 PM »
I found out something new today. You can apparently mentor Sims, in Chess.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
The other day, my sim and his kid found themselves at the Harbor Quarter Gym with the rest of the household so I had the sim "coach swimming" for his son.
It didn't raise the Motor bar any faster than, say, playing Keyboard Commander. It took roughly an hour to raise the Motor by one-third.

However, when the son aged up to a teen, I happened to check his Bodybuilder aspiration and he already had 4 out of the 8 workout hours completed for the first tier.
It looked like this:
Work Out for 8 Total Hours: 4/8

Since the son had never worked out since his very recent teen birthday, I'm wondering if "coaching swimming" later translated into Fitness levels.

Edited to add:
Results of Testing Using 3 New Sims
Child A (Geek) and Child B (Loves outdoors) both continued swimming for a period of about 6 hours, although all three (father + 2 sons) got interrupted frequently when six sims later arrived at the pool (de Krill or something) to dive, splash, swim, and try initiating convos.

The father had zero fitness while first coaching Sim A for the first half.  Next, I cheated to give him Fitness L10 and he coached Sim B for the second half.
All three went to a restaurant so the father could order a birthday cake (since he can't cook). The teens' Bodybuilder aspirations looked like this:
Teen A    Work Out for a Total 8 Hours 5/8
Teen B    Work Out for a Total 8 Hours 6/8

The hour difference is only the result of interruptions by other sims; each child sim was either swimming on his own or swimming while being coached.
The coaching sim's fitness level made no difference at all. The Motor bar rose at about the same speed, regardless of being coached or not.

And now the question is: What's the point of coaching swimming? (besides the fact that it's very cute to watch)

anything