Author Topic: Did I just buy the wrong computer?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Did I just buy the wrong computer?
« on: December 24, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
This is what I had bought and it arrived damaged.  Took it back and bought another one, it will arrive at BestBuy on Jan 4

CyberPower Gamer Ultra 
had Windows 10
AMD FX 8320
16 GB Hard Drive
2 TB
Hard Drive compact 2000 (whatever that means)
AMD Radeon R7 250
SATA (I think that is SSD)
process speed 3.5 GZ
Cache is 8 Megabytes
memory DDR 3 (not really happy with it, but oh well)
memory slots 2
RAM speed 1600 MH
RPM 7200 (not sure what that means)

Here is the other one, the one I bought today.  Did I mess up and should have stayed with the first one, just reordered it?

Second computer, iBUYPOWER - Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 16GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - White

Model is BB706  SKU 4513603
Hard drive 1000 gigabyles
SATA
Processor brand Intel  (Is this where I messed up, didn't realize it was an Intel)
Processor speed 3.5 gh
processor model  Intel Core i5
RAM 16 GB
Wireless network  wireless AC
Cache memory 6    (the CyberPower had 8 )
media card reader   No
Type of memory  DDR4
system memory 2400 MH
Graphic Processing NVIDIA
Graphic card   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
video memory 2000 MH
Hard Drive RPM 7200

The CyberPower was $700 and the IBuyPower is listed on the website for $950, regular $999, they goofed and charged me the $999, called and the salesman is out to lunch, so don't know if I can get it changed.
Can't drive back up there if I have to fix it, so may just have lost $50. 

Did I get ripped off in the choice of computers?  I remember reading that Intel isn't the best to have for playing Sims, don't remember why. 

I think I should have ignored my son and bought it from Amazon

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Did I just buy the wrong computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »
If you are truly not happy with the purchase, go ahead and return it.

The video card in the IBuy is a GTX950 that will make Sims scream!! So you're good there.

An Intel processor isn't bad at all. It's the integrated graphics that you would want to avoid. But you're good as you have a awesome dedicated video card.

If you were to put them both desktops against each other, it's probably a toss up as to which is better. It may end up boiling down to which you like better.

Is the IBuy worth almost $1000 for that? Maybe not.

If you find that you are considering returning it, but would like to see what's available from Amazon. Let me know and I can help search with you. :)

* Just emailed Hubby and he said the i5 is a pretty good system. It's newer system, better memory and awesome video card.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
I'm caught in the middle.  I am tired of waiting and listening to my hubby gripe about the  drive to Best Buy, waiting in line, associates who stand around and don't seem to be doing anything.  It takes us 40 minutes on a good day; he is frustrated (and in pain due to his shoulders) and just wants me to keep it.
Josh I think is a bit ticked off I didn't let him  pick it out, he thinks Alienware is the number one computer brand.  I don't agree, I think he is paying a higher price just for the name.  It is a good computer, but not worth the price tag.

They both want it from there due to the warranty, I can take it there and get it fixed and we took out an extended warranty which cost us almost $200. 

I really don't mean to sound so grumpy.  It has been a rough three months due to hubby's shoulders and I am so tired of his being upset he can't do anything.  We were at Wally's and I was getting a pack of water.  He wanted to help and I told him he better not touch it; doctor's orders, he isn't allowed. 
Some jerk going by in a electric chair told him he ought to be doing it, not making me do it.  I told him hubby had shoulder surgery, he can't lift anything more than that three pounds.  He said, "oh, sorry".   
Many would look at him being overweight and go, he needs to get off his butt and walk.  They don't know what is wrong with him, so they don't have a right to judge. 
Sorry, I'm venting, just so tired, stressed and worried about him. 

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
I'd say all in all, then keep it. As it is a newer processor an overall better computer than the AMD. It puts less stress on your Hubby to take it back. :)

Sending you a pm. :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 08:33:30 PM »
I'm going to keep it.  My "rant" really helped me to relax, letting off some steam lower the stress, I guess.
And, thinking of how others can be worse off also helped.

Have a Merry Christmas

anything