Author Topic: Is this a good desktop? comparing these two (revised questions)  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Is this a good desktop? comparing these two (revised questions)
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:45:18 AM »
Am looking at computers and reading reviews.  One that is listed as a top one is CyberPower.  Looking at Best Buy I found this is one they had for around $1,300; which is my price range.

Cyber Power PC Gamer Supreme 
AMD FX series
16 GB memory
2 TB hard memory
128 GB SS Drive
Memory DDR3 SDRAM
Ram speed 1600megahertz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
4 GB dedicated video memory
liquid cooling

Looked at a ASUS ROG seriesG20AJ for around $1,000 but there were remarks of overheating problems and something about when it was upgraded the warranty was no longer covered. 

opinions on this computer?

okay, was looking at best buy again, doing my wishing I had it NOW  :)  when I noticed this computer below it and there is only $100 difference.

First choice:

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Supreme Desktop - AMD FX-Series - 16GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive - Black/Blue

$1299.99

Model: SLC8220B

SKU: 4294508

Second Choice

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Supreme Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive - Gunmetal

$1399.99

Model: SLC8240B

SKU: 4294535

The $1,300 is listed first and the $1,400 is the second, or other one

Difference is first one is height 18.5 second one is 22.8
width is 8.2  other is 9.1
depth 19.9  other is 23.8
Cache memory 8  other is 15
Graphic  first is NVIDIA  other is AMD
# of external 3.5 bays 1  (for first) 0 for other
# external bay 5.25   2  other is 5
# of internal bays 3.5   3   other is  10
# of USB  first has 10  other has 14
Processor band AMD  other is Intel
Processor speed   4.7 other is 3.3
processor model AMD FX series  other is Intel 5th gen core I 7
System RAM DDR3 SDRAM  other is DDR4 SDRAM
system RAM expandable first to 32 second to 64
Graphic card  first has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970   other is AMD Radeon R7 370
memory slot  first one has 4  other has 8
number of PCI-Ex1 Slot 1  other has 2
video memory 4096     other  2048

expansion bays  none listed for first one but for second one states it has 3 external 5.25; 9 internal 3.5 and 3 internal 2.5 
expansion slots for one none listed and for the second 3 PCI Express x16, 2 PCI Express x1

Okay, what is the important differences?  Wouldn't the NVIDIA card be better than the Radeon?
Does cache memory matter?
How important is it for the RAM to be expandable?
The expansion slots and bays confused as to why the second one has several listed but none for the first one, and yet in the description it seems as if they both have some, just different amounts -- confused in that aspect.

For $100, I don't mind buying the second one if it is better, I can afford that.  Will be taking my son's monitor, which is only four years old and getting a new one later.  He has five speakers, so I will be taking those also to have.  He will get all new when he gets his new computer later on. 

It will probably be between the 26th and 28th of Dec when I get my new computer, definitely no later than the 30th of the month. 

It will be a toss up to whether or not I try to get it earlier if we get the money in before the 24th.  I don't know which would be worse, the last minute shoppers or the rush of shoppers for returns/sales after Christmas.   *Sigh*

Sorry to have so many questions, but this will have to last for around seven years, so want a good one. 

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Is this a good desktop?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:41:42 AM »
You wanted Sims to run away scared, right?  Yep the CyberPower desktop will do that and more. *Snicker* It will definitely run anything you throw at it for a good long time!! With a nice video card!!

As for the ASUS ROG seriesG20AJ, my gutt is saying to stay away from that one, due to it's really tiny case and rumors of overheating.. That's not good. The CyberPower desktop is your better bet. - Bigger case, easier to get at parts if upgrades are needed later. And airflow is much better!!

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Re: Is this a good desktop?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:07:46 AM »
Looks like I will be buying that one soon then.  Found out hubby will still be getting his checks from WC, even though he has retired.  That is going to allow us to pick up things we though we would have to wait on. 
Yesterday a new mattress and dishwasher.  Next month a new computer and deepfreeze.  I allotted $1,300 to $1,400 for one. 

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Re: Is this a good desktop? comparing these two (revised questions)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »
bumping this up as I have some more questions and need some guidance between these two computers. 

hope I am not doing something wrong in the bumping up. 

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
Hi Janna,

Can you refresh my memory on which computers you're wanting to compare to one another? As it looks like there is more than 2 in the first post of this thread. And they seem to be all combined with one another. Making it hard to tell which is which.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »
sorry,  should have clarified.

The Cyber Power PC Gamer Supreme  that I listed in my original post is also the first one in my list of the two that I am comparing.  I was checking it out, to see if it was available to buy; it comes and goes in availability.  Saw the other one further down and decided to do a comparison as there is only $100 difference.   

When I compared them, I could only see these differences and it has me wondering which one is better. 
They have much of the same "stuff" as far as
16 GB memory
2 TB hard memory
128 GB SS Drive
 Ram speed 1600megahertz
liquid cooling

and some other "stuff"  (  :)  ), but what I listed is what is different.  Wouldn't the DDR4 be better than the DDR3 or would the NVIDIA graphic card make it a better choice?  What about the other differences? 

Which had me going  --  which one is better?  Smart thing is to ask those who know computers.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »
The GTX 970 in the CyberpowerPC trumps the better memory type of the RoG. Plus, if the RoG has a reputation of overheating, then you would be much happier with the CyberpowerPC system.

If you're comparing the two CyberpowerPCs to one another. Still go with the the one that has the GTX970.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.