Author Topic: Program Folder location on computer  (Read 48941 times)

Offline Bunny Hermione

• Nooboo
Program Folder location on computer
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
So I had to uninstall the game (computer problems, not game problems). When I originally installed it was with the Windows 8 operating system on my laptop. I now run the computer with Windows 10, and I cannot find the installation file.

I reinstalled my Sims3 programs to the "This Computer > Documents > Electronic Arts" without problem. However, when I tried to install Sims 4 after installing Sims 3, I cannot find any of the game files. I have a desktop icon, but I cannot find where Origin actually installed the game and all its files.

Is there any way to check where exactly it installed the files for the game? Or should I uninstall everything from Origin again, reset the installation location and restart? (I've tried checking with the 'search' function on my laptop, but it only ever finds the shortcut icon to open the game.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Program Folder location on computer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:05:26 PM »
Program folder for Sims on the computer should be:

Game install files should be located here: (by default)
--

– C:\Program Files\EA Games\ -- EA App Version
 – C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\ -- Origin Version
 – C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ -- Steam Version
 – C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts -- Disc Version

You may need to search your computer for these folders.

To search your computer click the Start button and in the search box type in The Sims 4, and hit enter to check the path it gives you to the default paths listed above.

==========

User files should be located here:
--
\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

These are files such as Game saves, Mods, Option.ini file, etc.

You may have installed Sims 3 into the wrong folder. As the install files should not be in your Documents folder.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Bunny Hermione

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't sure how to note it, so I know that I have the game install files in the right place, and those I can find.

It's the user files for Sims 4 that I can't find and trying to search the C: drive for them only finds me the game install folder. The Sims 3 ones are in \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 -- but in that same location (Documents\Electronic Arts\___) there are no user files for The Sims 4 there.

Is there a way to figure out where the user files went, or is that something that I'll have to uninstall and reinstall?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:00:10 PM »
Search for The Sims 4. Click the start button and in the search box type in The Sims 4, and hit enter.

There should be a folder called The Sims 4 in your Programs folder and in your Documents folder. - This is how it's showing on my computer.

If when you search for The Sims 4 folder and find that it is somewhere different than the the Documents folder. You can move it to the Documents\Electronic Arts folder.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Bunny Hermione

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
Thank you, MrsFlynn. That helped me find it and move it. Somehow my system saved everything into a "music" folder. I've moved it to the Documents folder.

anything