Author Topic: Question on laptops for Sims 4  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Question on laptops for Sims 4
« on: October 18, 2015, 05:09:50 PM »
I have a question on laptops for sims 4.

I may be able to get a new computer sometime in April or May, hopefully sooner but not holding my breath.

Anyhow, my son thinks an Alienware computer is the best, and I would like some feedback on what others think would be a good one, if I should stay with a desktop or get a laptop and what I should get, specifics in area of graphic card, RAM and such.

I trust my son, but it does help to get viewpoints from those who play Sims.  I haven't decided if I want sims 4, but I do know that I want to get a lot of the expansion packs for Sim 3 and right now my computer can't handle them all.  Limited to three expansion packs, have more but had to chose three from what I have.

Figuring I will have around $2,000; maybe more, maybe less, but doubt less.   

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Question on laptops for Sims 4
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
Hi, Janna.

For laptops, Alienware is a good brand, as is MSI, the ASUS ROG series and the ACER Nitro Black series. MrsFlynn and I ended up with the MSI GE62-2QD gaming laptop with some fun bells and whistles.

For a desktop, I would go with a custom build system rather than an "off the shelf" system. Again Alienware makes good desktops - just be aware there is a slight premium attached to their name. Also, don't buy their Alpha "console" PC as it is under powered for gaming in general, much less The Sims 3 & 4.

Overall, we prefer desktops to laptops for gaming. Desktops tend to be less expensive than laptops and tend to perform better. However, if you need mobility with gaming, a laptop is the best.

If you like, MrsFlynn and I can check around and make some recommendations.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn

I have a question on laptops for sims 4.

I may be able to get a new computer sometime in April or May, hopefully sooner but not holding my breath.

Anyhow, my son thinks an Alienware computer is the best, and I would like some feedback on what others think would be a good one, if I should stay with a desktop or get a laptop and what I should get, specifics in area of graphic card, RAM and such.

I trust my son, but it does help to get viewpoints from those who play Sims.  I haven't decided if I want sims 4, but I do know that I want to get a lot of the expansion packs for Sim 3 and right now my computer can't handle them all.  Limited to three expansion packs, have more but had to chose three from what I have.

Figuring I will have around $2,000; maybe more, maybe less, but doubt less.   

Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »
Thanks for the info and the offer to help in deciding what to get. 

I will wait until we know what his settlement (not the "real" name, but the one generally used) will be and then I will know how much, or little, I have to spend.

The surgeon said today it will be six months, possibly seven months of rehab, so we will have a long wait.  It will be hard to wait, but even more to see him hurt from it all. 

Offline tonycdh

• Townie
  • What does the llama say?
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 11:37:41 PM »
I thought I would throw my two cents in. I have always used "off the shelf" pc's for the sims. From sims 1 to 4. Right now I use an ASUS laptop for all my sims 4.  Not really sure what the following means but it's not the top of the line stuff I promise that:  intel core i5 cpu @ 1.70ghz, 6gb ram, 64 bit operating Windows 10.

The sims 4 works perfectly for me. Yeah alienware etc is top of the line for gaming or you could custom build your own, but seriously, that's for your hard core gamer. Maybe this will help someone if your just a casual gamer like me. :-)

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »
If you do end up getting a laptop, the most important thing is that it has a good video card.  Many laptops aren't built for gaming and don't have a good enough video card.  I'd still get a desktop though unless the portability of a laptop is important to you.  I've never gotten an Alienware product because they cost more than I'm willing to spend.

Offline dodi90

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 02:26:32 AM »
I use my ASUS core i3 2.4ghz laptop to play sims 3 and 4 and it works quite good so far. And as many people have suggested so far, in general, a desktop performs way better than a laptop in gaming. Only choose a laptop if you really need mobility that much.

anything