Author Topic: File corruption? Blank thumbnails in library bin, can't be placed  (Read 4850 times)

Offline saintdeathclaw

• Nooboo
Hi, the issue I'm having is that anything I try to save to the library, whether family or lot (residential or community), seems to be corrupted. The thumbnail will be blank. Here's an example:

Here, I've clicked the Bachelor Family, which I saved to the bin and shows a blank thumbnail both in the bin and when clicked on, but the other Sunset Valley families in there marked with the "saved to library" icon that are visible in the bin, when clicked on, have the same blank thumbnail in their pop-up.

The families can't be placed in a residential lot even it it's within their budget; nothing happens when I click them onto the lot. If I try to place a lot itself I saved to the library, the game gets stuck in the dim "placing lot" look, and I have to eventually close it using task manager.

I haven't had any luck finding this issue elsewhere via google, at least not without easy solutions like starting with a fresh Sims 3 folder or even re-installing. But literally nothing's worked for me. I thought initially it was corruption caused by cc (Lynx's rabbithole rugs, to be specific) as the first time I tried to use one in-game building a lot via CAW Edit-in-Game was when this first cropped up, but I think now they're innocent.

My fix attempts:

I've repeatedly uninstalled and re-installed the game, both via Steam (where I originally bought the game and packs) and Origin (using my Steam registration codes, all legally paid for!). This was when a new Sims 4 pack had just come out, so the Origin downloads were slow and choppy, and I kept getting an error message about "deltabuild0" being missing:

Assuming after googling I had the CRC error, I googled more and followed every instruction I found (particularly crinrict's help here: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/error-there-was-an-error-during-startup.html):

* re-installed Origin
* updated my graphics card driver
* started my game from the exe file rather than the launcher
* started game as Administrator
* updated Microsoft .net framework
* uninstalled, used CCleaner, then manually deleted remaining empty Sims-related folders in the registry, restarting (so much computer restarting!)
* installed on both my primary drive and secondary drive (installation successful on both drives)
* installed just base game, used the Cumulative Base Game 1.67.2 Super Patcher, then installed the packs
* uninstalled and installed both via Origin and Steam, cleaning registry/re-starting in between, maybe 7 times now
* run the FordGT90Concept's Patcher (only possible with Origin's version)
* disabled anti-virus software for duration of download and play

I no longer get the deltabuild0 warning, at least - it installs and loads up with no issues. But the corrupted/blank library saves issue remains. I usually play with several nraas mods and some custom content, but even with a totally vanilla installation, no store content even installed, this issue remains. Since I'm mostly a worldbuilding simmer, this renders my game pretty much unplayable.

Worse, I'm concerned this actually indicates a larger problem with my computer, since I've done everything possible aside from re-instal Win 7 (which I'd rather not do as it was an utter bear to make compatible with Nexus Mod Manager for my Bethesda games...oh, and the virtual desktop programme I can use to work from home, less importantly :).

Probably unrelated, but what the hey: throughout all this, I've been consistently getting an error message on the launcher:

It seems to indicate maybe there's an issue with US content trying to load on the launcher, when I live in the UK, and bought digital UK versions of the game?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit OS (desktop)
RAM: 8.00 GB
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Drive C: 250 GB (solid state)
Drive D: 2 TB
(both with one- to two-thirds free disk space)

Sims current version: 1.67.2.024037 (most recently installed via Steam, because it's so much easier)
Base
Island Paradise
Into the Future
Movie Stuff
70s, 80s, and 90s stuff
University Life
Supernatural
High-End Loft Stuff
Outdoor Living Stuff
Seasons
Ambitions
Fast Late Stuff
Generations
Late Night
Pets
World Adventures

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: File corruption? Blank thumbnails in library bin, can't be placed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
Hi Saintdeathclaw,

Thank you for the photos and notes on what you've tried. Have you tried a factory reset?

Move your Sims 3 folder to the desktop or some where safe, and rename it something like Sims 3 Current. You won't loose your files, like saved games or game options. It's all still there in the folder on your desktop or some where safe. Just don't delete anything.

Click the Sims 3 icon to create a new Sims 3 folder.

Go To: ----> My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3

After this, try going into Sunset Valley or any other installed town and then try saving a family or two to the Library.

Exit the game. Then go back in to that game and check to see if the icons are showing up and that you can place the families into the world.

If this works go ahead and copy back your game saves, files and such over to the new folder. However, don't copy over the library folder.

Once you've put your saved games back, go into one of the saved games and save something to the library to see if it works.

Hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline saintdeathclaw

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
Hi MrsFlynn,

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I have tried that (I used to do that to get a fresh Sims 3 folder before starting new a world in CAW to make sure that I wouldn't accidentally get any mod interference or cc in the file, quite the sanity-saver!), with no luck.

This has really been quite the sticky problem!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »
The script error seems like it's a common thing. I get it a lot when I'm playing Sims 3. No biggie. The game can still be played as normal and won't cause harm. However, it maybe a good idea to use the super patch since you've recently installed Sims 3.

Super Patch (1.67)
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Current-Patch-1-67-Manual-links-and-more/td-p/67858

*** Though if you've installed it via Steam. You may need to search on how to get it patched up. As you may not be able to use the super patch.

The corruption problem has me doing some searching and thinking of what might help. Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly? This problem happens in a new game, in a fresh folder? or No it doesn't?

If it's just happening in your current game save that is having the problem, It just may be that your game file has gotten corrupted some how. What your wrote above sounds very familiar to me.

-- If I try to place a lot itself I saved to the library, the game gets stuck in the dim "placing lot" look, and I have to eventually close it using task manager. --

I've had something similar happen to me recently on a house I had previously built. Some how the house file became corrupt and would ultimately not load. Just sitting there spinning on the loading screen. I had to use task manager to get out of the game.

I just ended up basically rebuilding the house and now it's doing fine.

Somewhere in my searching I did find that if the files don't appear in the library bin or you cannot move them onto a new lot, that generally indicates a problem with corruption.

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done about that. I've had to recently do a factory reset and start my family in a new game. But that's because I was playing with an older game save.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

anything