Author Topic: The No Buy Mode Project - Update for Dining Out  (Read 21308 times)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: The No Buy Mode Project - Rules posted - Mansion Baron Complete!
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2016, 01:43:56 AM »
Wow!  This is FANTASTIC!  I-I don't know if I have the fortitude NOT to use Buy mode XD But it would be fun to try.  Wonderful challenge, MissTrips ^^  And I LOVE your house!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
As a devoted Sims 3 player, I haven't taken much of an interest in the Sims 4 stories on the forum - but I stumbled across this one and read it through in a single sitting.  It's a great idea for a project :).  (And congratulations to Jenny on becoming a Mansion Baron.)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2016, 12:51:27 AM »
I wonder how this would translate to TS3? It's been so long since I played it that I can't remember whether we could make furniture etc. Although I guess we could scavenge at the junk yard if we have Ambitions EP. But I've never seen a bed there.

Edit: would a klepto sim be able to swipe beds and other household furnishings?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2016, 05:22:17 AM »
It would be interesting to try, although I suspect it wouldn't work nearly as well  :(.

Sculptors can make chairs, small tables, toilets and sinks.

I don't think I've seen a bed at the junkyard either, although there are sofas, so Sims could nap even if they couldn't sleep.  I've not played enough with Supernatural + Ambitions to notice whether rocking chairs appear as random junk.  It would all be smelly and horrible, of course, and any appliances would be broken.  Repairmen used to be able to clean up and fix scavenged items (my Legacy family exploited that shamelessly), but that feature got patched out and I don't think it's reappeared.

I think I've only seen kleptos swipe lights and small objects from inside houses.

Money wouldn't be a problem, though: they could still collect gems and metals and send them off for processing.  Living in the Lap of Luxury ought to be doable in a reasonable timespan.

Edit:  I've just remembered the film star's trailer.  Now that would make things a lot easier.  And one of the celebrity perks is a bed...

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2016, 10:50:27 PM »
Hazelnut in TS3 my klepto was able to steal the Landgraab's blind but I don't remember if she swiped any beds.  It would be interesting to try this in TS3 just to see how far you could go.  Of course, if you played in UC then you could swipe all the fancy cars right off so you'd be really rich, but still not able to buy a bed!
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2016, 12:15:20 AM »
And if you had Ambitions you wouldn't actually need a bed cuz you could just crash at the Fire Station lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2016, 10:29:37 AM »
As I'm not feeling the love for the tournament challenges at the moment, I've decided to give this a go.  I'm hoping to do a single sim but I've put aging to long for now, will turn it off if I can't fit it all in. 

A successful holiday netted me a shower as well as essentials from the kiosk, I've played Detective for the first time and got the bed, loo etc. and now I'm working through culinary.  The Garden Gnomes are looking after my plants, The Good Timers get me access to a decent kitchen although I probably won't stay in that club for long and I basically live at the Pancakes because they have a decent bed, computer and workbench.

Thanks MissTrips, this is great fun.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2016, 01:19:51 AM »
Wow, duck out for a little bit to play around with a few other games and things are going great over here!  Trying out on the Sims 3 sounds intriguing, if anyone does manage it, post it here with your results!

Jenny is still working in the scientist career but I decided to dedicate her weekends to trying out the retail side of the no buy equation.  With only the cash register being the permitted buy item, it took a little bit to transform a counter for it to sit on (using a culinary reward counter might be an option if you haven't started the scientist career with the zap gun)

I cleaned out all my high dollar paintings and sculptures that I had stored to boost my house's value for Mansion Baron and set up in Magnolia Promenade.

I also transmogged a few crystals and frogs to get a little furniture and had a very successful weekend of sales.  I think having retail is quite a viable money making option and a good way to empty out that excess inventory!

I'm also having Jenny collect eggs and try out the Glow Fruit challenge, and that tree really does glow brightly!  be interesting to see how much glow fruit sells for!

We hobbits are plain, quiet creatures. Adventures make one late for dinner.

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2016, 01:54:16 AM »
I'm resisting so much ... but every time I read your posts I want to quickly open up a game and try this challenge for myself! hahaha Looking so good!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2016, 07:32:10 PM »
I know, right. I'm itching to give this a go!  Love that last screenshot.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »
I think doing this challenge the way you did is much more interesting after awhile than the way I'm doing it.  I'm actually getting a bit bored with mine, but it just might be change of seasons doldrums.  The retail end sounds like a great way to get rid of all the stuff you wind up with!  I love your little shop and would love to see more of it.  Are there more career paths Jenny is going to follow?

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline seasidesarah

• Nooboo
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2016, 06:42:07 PM »
I love this challenge, it was a very interesting read and I have learnt so much about living 'off buy mode'!  As I've just bought Get Together & Outdoor Retreat (yay Origin sale!) I've decided to take a break from my story neighbourhood and play a combination of your challenge and some of the rules/ideas and I'm posting my updates on my Seaside Simming blog on Tumblr - https://www.tumblr.com/blog/seasidesimming (hope it's ok to include the link here - I'm a newbie to the forum so please delete if not allowed!)

Thank you for posting all your hard work here - I love the opportunity to play the game from a completely different angle and learn from someone else's experience.   :D

Sarah

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
Re: The No Buy Mode Project - Update for Dining Out
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2016, 10:37:31 PM »
No buy mode returns for Dining Out!  Just like owning a retail store, a committed No Buy Project can get a restaurant off the ground!

The items that you can use buy mode for are the Host Station, Waitress Station, 2 Chef Stations (each chef needs their own so buying two is allowed) and an outdoor trash can.

Everything else is up to you to acquire!  Now in order to open for business, you will need a sink, toilet, table and 4 chairs minimum, but we know how to do that!  (I bought a bush for the toilet and transformed a lot of frogs until I got a sink!)

An important note, if you are transforming items on your restaurant lot, once a chair that can go with a table or a barstool is generated, the game will not let you transform it again.  It says that transforming chairs at restaurants is  inappropriate!

Here's a quick look at a few hours of work to get it to the ready to open stage!

We hobbits are plain, quiet creatures. Adventures make one late for dinner.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »
Oh I am SOOOO going to do this!  I had planned on a retail store with my richer than all couple but restaurant just sounds so yummy to do!

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2016, 04:21:21 AM »
I love this challenge! It's really clever and fun. The house is great, too. You're a great sims builder!

anything