Author Topic: My Absence & Terraria Guide  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
My Absence & Terraria Guide
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
I've been completely absent here and I regret that things went the way they did. Sadly, it was outside my control. My mother lost her companion of 18 years - who she got with when I was 15 - and this resulted in her being in a bad state given she's disabled with MS. It was a huge loss that turned her world upside down.

I'm thankful for the staff who have taken care of the Forum while we've been bereaved. Exercising creativity is my way of coping, so I took up a game I didn't think I could enjoy and thought I'd share my project with the community. In a similar situation, when I lost my father in late May 2009, I dealt with those tough feelings and eventually decided to begin writing on The Sims 3 to occupy my mind. It turned out wonderfully and here we are now, so I am hoping to find my writing on this game is as well-received and helpful. As always, I've got a lot of editing to do!

I'd heard of Terraria many times, but didn't like what I saw in screenshots and vidoes. They just couldn't convey the sense of adventure to me. I was very, very wrong. The open nature, retro graphics, metroid-style exploration and progression really appeal to me and I've become a huge fan this past few weeks. Every moment I could spare, I dedicated to this game and took notes. I could never play minecraft, but this is right up my alley and offers the same ability to craft the world around you.

At that, I've started a Terraria Guide to help me fill time in between Sims DLC. I'm focusing on bosses first and want to do some beginner guides, since I've had to play through a few times now given bugs on the PS Vita version (ugh - crashes on save are the worst). I chase my own whims for fun and really enjoy making new stuff, so Terraria is my target for the moment. I've got a tight mobile friendly design and love the look so far, even if it's simple.

This doesn't mean anything for me covering Sims, and I look forward to Get Together. I'm behind on my writing and have articles I regularly contribute which are due for The Sims Magazine App (available on Android/iOS) and plan to catch up in coming weeks. I've had so much happening out of nowhere that I barely got to explore the ice cream effects in Kitchen Stuff before we got bad news... but I do look forward to feeling up to making new pages for the Sims guide and fixing the problems that have been brought to my attention.

I just imagine we have a few people who enjoy Terraria here and I thought I'd share my new project with them, as well as take the chance to explain my distance this past two months. It may be too much information but I hardly care, it's not my blog but I do have a kinship with many here who have no idea why I'm barely around. I'm glad to feel like talking about it and being hopeful for the future. This community rocks and thanks for reading!

Carl

Offline Cat_Mom

• Llama Wrangler
Re: My Absence & Terraria Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 01:01:33 PM »
Hello Carl, I've only just read this post now, and am dreadfully sorry for your loss...my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. You all have a lot to bear at the moment, and I hope you can draw strength from one another as you grieve. 
Peace from Corrie (Cat_Mom)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »
Thanks, Corrie. We are doing better as time goes on, getting back to our regular lives just slowly. I find myself feeling very behind in a lot of things in life because of that long 6 weeks, but thankfully those around me have been kind.

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:13:42 PM »
You amaze me Carl, you have created an incredible place for all walks of life out of grief.. and now you are doing it again.  I lost my Step Mum in December and I'm still finding it difficult to function and think of anything else.. you are an inspiration (as always) Thank you and remember.. if there is anything that we can do for you, we are only a PM away. xxx

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »
@KTK10 Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, on grief, you carry it with you, it never goes away but it changes. Still think of my dad even though it's been 6 years, but you grow to accept it. Getting back to things you enjoy, being productive and living your life is progress.

I've made more and more guides and am looking forward to the next Sims Expansion. Doesn't seem the Stuff Packs offer me much to write about in terms of gameplay, though I'll get to them for the sake of completion. I'm still writing for the Sims mag and need to catch up so I don't delay their next release! Here's the link to it on Google Play for those interested. You can also find it for Mac products on the App store. I'm not obligated to advertise for them, I just think it's pretty sweet someone carries the torch for the old official Sims Magazine. That now falls on Dialect, Inc. and editor Kath Brice who is, thankfully, super kind and patient.

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
Carl, Deepest condolences for your loss and thanks for keeping on keeping on with a splendid website!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:08:25 PM »
@Ginj thank you. Things are going much better for my family now, and I'm back to my old self again. 21 pages to Terraria in 2 weeks, kind of burying myself in work but I find it satisfying :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
I've only just read this as well as I'm still catching up on everything since returning from holiday.  My deepest sympathies to you and your family, Carl.  It's wrenching when you loose someone so close, I know.  /hugs

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
Carl,

I am sorry for your loss, and for your mom with losing her companion.  It is hard to lose someone you love and just as hard to see someone you love suffer from a loss and not be able to help them, to take their pain away.

I lost my mom several years ago and it took a couple of years (or more) for me to not think, "I need to call mom and ask her about  . . ."  and then realize she wasn't there. 
The pain goes away, but the sense of loss I don't think ever will.  Or maybe it just needs a lot longer time to leave.  Only time will tell on that.

I have been off here for quite a while, burned myself out on sims three, then bummed that I couldn't get sims four on my computer, too old and not able to play the game.

Came back to see what is happening to people who I have become fond of, how everyone is doing.  May not be able right now to play sims four, but can share in their fun and laugh at what happens with them and their characters. 

I don't know anything about the game you mentioned, but I will read up on it.  Probably can't play it on my computer either, but hey, something to check out. 
I know that I am very appreciative of what you and Pam have done here.  This has been a great site and when you are grieving it helps to immerse yourself in something to get your mind off it.   
I know that all of us here wish it hadn't been from a loss that lead to all this great work here, but I am glad that it gave you a way to deal with your loss.  To take the sorrow from a loss and use the energy from those emotions to create something great is a good way to honor their memory.   

Thank you for this and hugs for you and for your mom. 

Offline Ferretmania

• Occult
  • FerretmaniaDK on Origin
    • World Of Sims
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 02:46:57 AM »
I am sorry for your families loss and  you all have my deepest condolences. It's heartbreaking when you loose someone you love and I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

The staff here are a great bunch of people and they have been taken good care of everything while you've been absent.
I only live in real life when my sims need a break ;)

Raven's Immortal Dynasty

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 10:28:48 AM »
I know the feeling about grief, lost my dad 8 years this December and my mom five years in November, both on holidays.  I still miss them a lot, especially around holidays.  I am glad you are doing better and it is good that you have found something to keep you occupied.  I regret not being here much, but work is keeping me busy.

You are always missed around here and I hope that the new year coming up will be  good one.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
Guess it's something we have to live with for the rest of our lives. I realized my mom had never lost someone so close to her, and really feel for her right now. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. I have definitely been on a break from Sims and not giving the site enough attention. I am sure I am not alone in missing Pam and her presence around here, but we have some great people - both Moderators and members - who are still here to help and make the site a better place.

I just disabled the top ad for guests, which should also let our members get to log in just a bit faster and improve new visitors' first impression of our community. If it's sustainable, it won't come back. :)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
Dear Friend,  I am so sorry to hear of the loss you and your Mom have suffered and are going through.  I've been so wrapped up in doing different things, Dynasty, Miscellaneous Story and rl that I've not been reading posts here so sadly missed this until now.  Unfortunately, as you've already realized, the hurt never quite goes away, it just gets less omnipresent.  You know you have not only the support but also the love of the people here who have known you for so many years and are so grateful for all you've done.  Because of you I've learned to really enjoy not only Sims but also Civilization once again and will definitely check into Terraria.  The team is keeping things together but we do miss your presence.  However, you take whatever time you need to heal your heart and know we are thinking of you and praying for you and your Mom.  Cyber hugs.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery