Author Topic: Renaming save files?  (Read 6001 times)

Offline DandeLovesSims

• Nooboo
Renaming save files?
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »
I don't mean the in-game display name.

Here's the situation:
My sims 4 has suddenly stopped working on my laptop, and I've gone through tech support several times to the point where I'm now corresponding with someone a step higher than a game guru. (yeah, it's that bad -.-). In case i can't get it to work again, I'd like to bring my save files from my laptop onto my desktop so I can play the families I had. The only issue is I already have the game with several saves on my computer. The save files are numbered, for example, save_00000001, or save_00000002, and so on. So I have a save_00000001 on both my laptop and desktop. I've tried renaming the saves from my laptop and adding on to my desktop saves in sequential order, but the newly added saves just don't show up in the saves list ingame. Since i only had 9 saves on my desktop, I was able to import saves 10-12 from my laptop, and those work fine. Does anyone know how to transfer my saves properly? Or can it simply not be done :(

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Renaming save files?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
I don't mean the in-game display name.

Here's the situation:
My sims 4 has suddenly stopped working on my laptop, and I've gone through tech support several times to the point where I'm now corresponding with someone a step higher than a game guru. (yeah, it's that bad -.-). In case i can't get it to work again, I'd like to bring my save files from my laptop onto my desktop so I can play the families I had. The only issue is I already have the game with several saves on my computer. The save files are numbered, for example, save_00000001, or save_00000002, and so on. So I have a save_00000001 on both my laptop and desktop. I've tried renaming the saves from my laptop and adding on to my desktop saves in sequential order, but the newly added saves just don't show up in the saves list ingame. Since i only had 9 saves on my desktop, I was able to import saves 10-12 from my laptop, and those work fine. Does anyone know how to transfer my saves properly? Or can it simply not be done :(
Hi, DandeLovesSims. Welcome to the forum! :)

Have you tried doing a Factory Reset or Repairing the Game? Both of these may help get your game running again, depending on what the problem is.

As far as copying your saved games from the laptop to the desktop, if you don't want to overwrite the games on your desktop, you can try these steps:
  • Boot up the game on your desktop.
  • For each game you don't want to overwrite, load the game save and then go into the main menu and select Save As...
  • This will create a new Slot_0000000x.save file, which should start at Slot_00000013.save since you will already have Slot_00000001 through Slot_00000012.
  • Once you've saved all of the games you want to preserve, you can copy the laptop saves to the desktop and let them overwrite the existing files.
Your two saved games lists should now be merged into one.

It should go without saying that you'll want to backup your saves folder on your desktop before you do this so you can go back to your original saves if something fouls up. See the tip Saving or Deleting Game Saves (for backup or use on another computer) for more information.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline DandeLovesSims

• Nooboo
Re: Renaming save files?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »
I did try reinstalling the game, and a bunch of other things too, I must've been on the phone with tech for almost 2 hours. Thanks for the info about saves though, I'll try it!