Author Topic: Photography skill  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Perturbee

• Nooboo
    • Unofficial Sims Freeplay Forum
Photography skill
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:15:42 AM »
I've been playing around with the photography skill and a far as I can tell it only levels up by taking loads and loads of photos.

Sadly the quality (even at maxed out level 5) is very poor when you copy them to the memories. It doesn't seem to matter which camera I use.
I wish they'd show properly. To get a "good" quality memory I place them on the wall and capture that instead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Photography skill
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I've found that the filter you choose can make a big difference to the quality of the photo. And the mood the sim being photographed is in can make a difference to the resulting ambience the photo has. So far I've found that the best way to get loads of photos quickly to level up while still taking a decent quality photo, is to snap quite a few of the same frame, the extras can always be sold or stored up for a shop etc. It seems that the medium camera is best for levelling up. But I've only played around a little so I'm sure there are more tricks to be found.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Photography skill
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:04:40 PM »
Photos' blurriness seems to scale with price some, but the large ones are the main culprits so I suspect this is buggy and they're just being blown up from a smaller size which affects the resolution. They look particularly bad in the memories interface. Overall the skill seems better for profit than I originally thought, since you can take 5 pictures and have them ring it at around $140 total. That's not a lot, but the game clock isn't moving much while you do this.

The photo studio seems to have issues as well. I have Sims standing around on it for a long time before something happens, and sometimes have to cancel interactions entirely to get things moving. It seems you need things to sell in order to operate the studio to being with. Tend studio is so slow that I am just forcing Sims to be interested with those 'take photo' interactions, and it works out to give a little extra cash... sometimes. Most of the time, Sims will stand there in front of the backdrop and the interaction never completes. It takes some micromanagement to realize when the picture just isn't going to happen, then you can force another.

I had serious trouble with the controls at first.  ??? I'm sure someone will come looking for how to control the camera. You left-click to take over control of your mouse so that you can click things in the camera interface. Click again to toggle this and line up your shot.

The Skill as a whole is fun for what it does for the gameplay, once they get the blurriness worked out and the AI on the studio patched up. It feels incomplete because of these frustrations. I get that it's meant to be a minor skill, and suspect we might even get more 5 level skills as opposed to entirely hidden ones. It's obviously not meant to be a big profit machine like painting, but does have its merits. Players will like it more for the selfies than the business opportunity. Hopefully they also do something to work in larger group shots. There's a lot of potential here, it just needs some work.