Author Topic: Server Upgrade Imminent  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Server Upgrade Imminent
« on: June 14, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »
I will be performing a server upgrade within the hour. Since I do not expect it to be down long, I didn't bother to wait out a day so everyone will know it's coming. This is out of necessity, as at times people are seeing "waiting on carls-sims-3-guide.com", which is a result of the server being out of memory and not able to serve as many people simultaneously as is needed. After the upgrade, we'll have twice the memory as before so this should happen much less frequently. This was planned to happen with the launch of TS4, but traffic on the server is high enough that it is already running out of memory and unable to serve people quickly. I didn't really want to do it on a weekend in the middle of the day, but the problem will only get worse as we get closer to July, when traffic peaks.

If this happens after this upgrade, it is a result of slow connections between your location and the server. Prior to this, it was likely the server.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Server Upgrade Imminent
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
Server is resized, time might be OK now.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
Time is fixed, though some of you may need to adjust your offset in the member profile area if you want it to be for your current time zone.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
Ok time is off by a day and I am not home to fix that had no choice but to run out. Will be home in couple hours to correct it you may use the forum as usual things will just be off for a day or so

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »
Sorry for the downtime and super-sloppy posting. That old iphone was really hard to type on, given the keyboard took up the whole screen. Anyway, I'm back on the case and working to get time back to normal. I would appreciate any reports of trouble so that I can address them.

Edit: OK, the date appears to finally be working fine. The upgrade threw off the server time really badly, and I somehow had us a day ahead.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »
Noticing on the front page, it's not updating the lastest post. Currently t says the latest post was .. Latest Post: "Re: Server Upgrade Immin..." ( June 16, 2014, 10:54:08 AM ) however, when you click to see recent posts, there have been about 13 posts since that one.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 01:41:01 AM »
This scared me for a minute, but I realize that when we pass that date the latest post will work correctly :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 01:45:51 AM »
Arhhh, that makes sense...
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 06:19:20 PM »
So it looks like this was a success, and everything is working properly across the network now. Forum traffic is up overall as a result, although the 1500 online is a lie. Somehow it glitched and counted everyone 2-3x in that time period. I may be able to reset it somehow and will look into that. The new online record is around 600 thanks to the fact that Guests are waiting less to access the boards :)

Edit: Found a way to set it to 500 and it immediately updated to 650, nice new record :)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
Heh, I was wondering what sort of advertising campaign got you to 1500+ users online. Over 650 is still fantastic, though. :)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

anything