Author Topic: Game deleted itself?  (Read 12935 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Game deleted itself?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 12:54:05 AM »
I am sorry I didn't ask that before, if you could create a new game. I just assumed you could. As you mentioned being at the Main menu and that was all it was giving you the option for, was to start a new game. But that's good to know you're able to if need be. :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 01:02:51 AM »
I am sorry I didn't ask that before, if you could create a new game. I just assumed you could. As you mentioned being at the Main menu and that was all it was giving you the option for, was to start a new game. But that's good to know you're able to if need be. :)

MrsFlynn

It's okay!

But I just tried to see if the new The Sims 3 folder would be created if I started a new game and saved it. There was no new folder created  ???

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 01:09:31 AM »
Boy this has me intrigued.. What's going on, why can't you see your saved game at the Main menu.

So try this - Put your old The Sims 3 folder back, if you haven't yet. To see what you find. Do you find you've still got your saved game in the Saves folder, but still not showing up in the Main menu?

If so, mouse over the area that your saved game should be. Does it give you any messages, like Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system.

Or something to that effect.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 01:17:17 AM »
Boy this has me intrigued.. What's going on, why can't you see your saved game at the Main menu.

So try this - Put your old The Sims 3 folder back, if you haven't yet. To see what you find. Do you find you've still got your saved game in the Saves folder, but still not showing up in the Main menu?

If so, mouse over the area that your saved game should be. Does it give you any messages, like Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system.

Or something to that effect.

MrsFlynn

Yes, everything is still in the same place!

There aren't any messages that show up. And I've only had the base game, so it can't be that. This is really puzzling  :-\ I can't seem to find anyone with the same exact problem..

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 01:26:11 AM »
All you have is Base game installed?

Just curious, look in your saved game folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves > (Your Saved Game folder)

Open your saved game that your trying to play. Is the meta.data file there? (Trying to compare working save games to games you can't access)

I don't quite think a missing meta.data file is the problem, but I'm curious to know if it's there or not.

If you do by chance find it missing. Try this post for a possible solution.

Re: Can't access files? (Possible Solution)  - For missing meta.data file
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,19030.msg358396.html#msg358396

Please post back if you find that this doesn't help. We'll put our thinking caps back on and see if we can figure something else out. :)

MrsFlynn

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
All you have is Base game installed?

Just curious, look in your saved game folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves > (Your Saved Game folder)

Open your saved game that your trying to play. Is the meta.data file there? (Trying to compare working save games to games you can't access)

I don't quite think a missing meta.data file is the problem, but I'm curious to know if it's there or not.

If you do by chance find it missing. Try this post for a possible solution.

Re: Can't access files? (Possible Solution)  - For missing meta.data file
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,19030.msg358396.html#msg358396

Please post back if you find that this doesn't help. We'll put our thinking caps back on and see if we can figure something else out. :)

MrsFlynn

The meta.data file is there!

I feel like I know what happened... When my game wouldn't start up, there was a message that popped up when I tried reopening the launcher asking if I wanted to debug it? I accidentally clicked yes but I figured it would be fine since I've clicked yes before. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »
I've seen that message, it's been happening from time to time with my game. It's a problem on EA's side they haven't fixed yet, as far as I understand. Clicking No is fine and you should be able to play as normal.

I've clicked yes before, it didn't seem to do anything. If I remember correctly I ended up restarting my computer and when it popped up that message again I just clicked No and went on to play the game.

If you're familiar with online storage. And you don't mind sharing your game. You could zip up your saved game. Upload it to an online storage place and share the link. So we could take a look at the game to see what it's doing.

MrsFlynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
I've seen that message, it's been happening from time to time with my game. It's a problem on EA's side they haven't fixed yet, as far as I understand. Clicking No is fine and you should be able to play as normal.

I've clicked yes before, it didn't seem to do anything. If I remember correctly I ended up restarting my computer and when it popped up that message again I just clicked No and went on to play the game.

If you're familiar with online storage. And you don't mind sharing your game. You could zip up your saved game. Upload it to an online storage place and share the link. So we could take a look at the game to see what it's doing.

MrsFlynn

Yeah, I get that message often too, and I usually click no. Sometimes I'd click yes and nothing would happen, but this time something did. I have no idea.

I was getting frustrated earlier today so I basically just uninstalled and reinstalled because the new Electronic Arts folder wouldn't appear  :-\ (I'm so impatient, haha) I tried to see if I could take my saves from the backup on my desktop and put them in the new saves folder after I reinstalled. It showed up on the menu but I couldn't load it. When I hovered over it, it gave me the message that something with expansion packs no longer being in the game. I didn't really get it since I had no expansion packs. So now I've just been trying to download all the CC and such to get it back to how I used to have the game (it took this whole day, and I'm not even done yet  :'( )

But thank you so much for helping me! I appreciate it!! :)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
Sometimes reinstalling the game is just what you need to do to get the game to work properly. *Snicker* It helps to do that from time to time to help it run smoothly. :)

If you get that message - Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system.

It may mean at least a few different things. 1. That you're trying to play a game-save that doesn't have a required expansion pack, Sims3 Store world, or custom content game world installed. 2. That the meta.data file is missing or needs to be replace.

If something like this happens again, try playing without CC. Open the launcher, click the Installed Content Tab. Checkmark Run Game Without Custom Content. Then click the Play button.

As sometimes CC does mess the game up for whatever reason.

Removing Bad Custom Content
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/custom-content-cc/bad-cc

MrsFlynn

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »
Sometimes reinstalling the game is just what you need to do to get the game to work properly. *Snicker* It helps to do that from time to time to help it run smoothly. :)

If you get that message - Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system.

It may mean at least a few different things. 1. That you're trying to play a game-save that doesn't have a required expansion pack, Sims3 Store world, or custom content game world installed. 2. That the meta.data file is missing or needs to be replace.

If something like this happens again, try playing without CC. Open the launcher, click the Installed Content Tab. Checkmark Run Game Without Custom Content. Then click the Play button.

As sometimes CC does mess the game up for whatever reason.

Removing Bad Custom Content
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/custom-content-cc/bad-cc

MrsFlynn

Thanks! I'm having trouble right now because I finally finished re-downloading sims3pack files, but it messed up all my package files. None of my package files are showing up and I'm getting waaaay more stressed than I should be  ;D

I'm going to try to see if there's any corrupt sims3pack files maybe

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 01:58:17 AM »
I meant to say this earlier, I'm happy I could help. :)  I don't know anything about CC, as I don't use it in my game. I tried it once, maybe twice, and both times my Sim's baby came out all distorted and other odd things happened. It was just a bad experience for me.

Something that might help is to browse Crinrict's blog. She's got helpful tips on pretty much everything Sims 3.

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/

MrsFlynn

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 02:09:04 PM »
Thanks! I'm having trouble right now because I finally finished re-downloading sims3pack files, but it messed up all my package files. None of my package files are showing up and I'm getting waaaay more stressed than I should be  ;D

I'm going to try to see if there's any corrupt sims3pack files maybe

Hi there, sorry I'm late to the game.

Ok, so have you resolved the first issue of not being able to find your save? If not:
1. Go into Documents>Electronic Arts and find "The Sims 3" folder. Right-Click and rename it to something else completely, not resembling anything of the former like: "thesimsbusted". Now, right-click and "cut" (DON'T COPY) that folder, and paste it to your desktop. The Electronic Arts Folder should be empty (unless you have Create-a-world or other EA products that might be found under there). It is important to "Cut and Paste" rather than "Copy and Paste" because we need to remove the folder completely.
2. Try to launch the game. Removing the first Sims 3 folder from it's original location should force the game to create a new one, otherwise you could have a corrupt download and I would have to recommend a reinstall. Now move over to the "thesimsbusted" folder, or whatever you renamed it to on your desktop, and copy your saves from there to the new EA folder if it created one, if it still doesn't show up in game, then your save could have been corrupted.

As for CC, I must advise you to avoid the Sims3Pack version of custom content. There are many, many game-breaking things that can happen when mods are installed that way, so I must highly advise that you only use ".package" files. The .sims3pack files are installed in a way that makes them very unstable, and likely to cause problems. If you *must* use .sims3packs then *only* use those kinds. I don't recommend mixing them, but I especially prefer the .package ones as you have more control over what is going in and out of your game.

Also, where are you getting your CC from? It is important that you get your CC from trusted sources like ModtheSims, and not through downloading Sims off the exchange.

CC and mods are very useful things, however they need to be taken care of and you need to ensure that your mods folder is clean and organized. If you do use .sims3packs, make sure you can find ALL of them in the launcher at all times, in case you need to clean them out.

The reason .sims3packs are more dangerous to the game is because they are forced to be installed the same way as the game would install other EA made things. If the coding varies from what EA wrote in the game it can cause the game to create errorlogs (at the very least) or go into a meltdown (lagging and crashing often) from it. Package files are as safe as you can say "safe" is with mods. I mean, there's always a risk with mods - always. Package files are placed in the folder in a way that allows them to be read by the game and placed into the game only after it has read through the things it has installed via the launcher. If something in the launcher gets stuck or corrupted (like a .sims3pack) it could simply never get around to loading up or looking for other mods because it's too busy trying to compensate for the issues the corrupted file is causing.

Anyways, sorry, I tend to end up in a tangent whenever I start talking about mods and cc. I'm an avid mod user, and have a select set of mods I use and keep updated, clean and organized. Mods seem harmless at first, but they can be a real problem with games at times. An out-of-date, corrupted, or conflicting CC could cause any number of problems, including corruption and lag.

Please let me know what happens when you try to reset your Sims 3 folder (if you attempt that again) and let me know if anything has improved.

anything