Author Topic: Black Screen during Gameplay- No 'fix' works. (Solved)  (Read 17263 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Black Screen during Gameplay- No 'fix' works.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
Hi Bazerk83,

Oh please don't give up just yet. :) We're still trying to figure out what's up with your computer. I've wanted to throw out my computer a time or two because of being frustrated with the game.

I'll get Hubby to look over your computer specs a little closer to see if he sees anything that might be conflicting or whatnot.

Thank you SO much for keeping us updated with updates.

MrsFlynn

Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »
Quickie question - Does the video problems come up in any other games/programs that you've noticed?

Edit to post:

Did you try lowering your in-game graphic settings to low or medium with reflection quality turned off or to mirrors only?

How to do this: In game - Main menu click the 3 dots button (...) in the lower left part of the screen to bring up the popup menu. Select Options. From there it should open up in the Graphics tab.

I was doing some more searching on the problem. Saw that suggestion. And didn't see it on your list as done. So I thought I'd pass along the suggestion.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
No. I didn't go through them and run them one by one after every install. There is no reason for these expansions not to work from a fresh install as they have ran previously just fine. I realise you're just trying to think of another possible option but honestly it just seems pointless. There is no reason for them not to work as, like I said before, they ran fine previously even WITH my CC.

With this new fresh install, at no point was there any problems with any updates after each install or with the final patch.

At this point I'm beginning to think something on my PC is conflicting with the game, perhaps a background process or some kind of extremely obscure graphics driver glitch. Despite the fact that I've done numerous fresh, clean installs of the latest official NVidia driver.
Hi, Bazerk83.

I'm beginning to think the problem may be your video card just isn't up to snuff for The Sims 3 on high settings. I only say this as the GTX 260 was released in late 2008, so it is approaching six years old. The Sims 3 released in mid-2009, and since it's release has seen numerous updates and fixes to the game, including a new graphics engine when Pets was released. As you add more expansions, stuff packs, etc. on to the game, it adds to the load on both the CPU and the graphics card.

I see the issue as two-fold: system memory and graphics card. I've already discussed the graphics card, though I'll elaborate in a moment. System memory - you have 4 GB memory. Regardless of whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, your system will reserve so much memory for the operating system, so much to supplement the video memory, and of course what the application needs. When you have so many items installed, it can spend a lot of time swapping memory to the hard drive to free up physical memory. Using the command line to allow Sims 3 to use 4 GB of memory doesn't help in this situation as your system doesn't have that much to give.

On the graphics side, the GTX 260 has a couple of things working against it. It doesn't have quite a full GB of memory available to it, and nVidia intentionally disabled some of the card's processor to reduce performance compared to the GTX 280 (which uses the same chip fully activated). It also doesn't have as many graphic cores in it as more modern cards (216 in the GTX 260 vs. 768 in the GTX 650 Ti for example). I bring up the cores because after the Pets update with the improved graphics engine (and the addition of Supernatural and Seasons which are resource intensive graphics-wise), the more oomph in your graphics card the better performance you'll get.

Unfortunately, it boils down to you may need some updates to play the game on full settings with fewer issues. I haven't had a chance to check your processor, though it sounds like it should still be okay. I would look at increasing your system memory to 8 GB - particularly if you're running 64-bit Windows. You will also want to look at a newer card. I think I remember seeing the GTX 750 Ti on Amazon for about $150, which is an excellent card. Still an older card, but a huge increase in performance for not a lot of money. Both of these updates should help your system run the game better.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 12:12:23 AM »
Thank you, Flynn.  That's what I was hoping you would explain.  Bazerk83, even though your game ran fine previously doesn't mean it will run fine now.  You have a lot of expansions and stuff packs added and each one demands more and more power to run properly.  It often happens that we simply reach the line in the sand where it's just too much.  That's why I mentioned booting up the game after each install.  You could possibly pinpoint where your computer just doesn't have enough of something.  You could still play the game, possibly with limited expansions, until you are able to get a new graphics card or whatever you may decide to do.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Bazerk83

• Nooboo
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »
This is all great information guys so thank you much for putting so much effort forward for me. I really do appreciate it.

I realise my GPU may now really be reaching retirement age. I've never really thought about upgrading until recently because in my experience it has been a superb card. It's quite infuriating that The Sims is so intensive on Graphics cards when really, compared to other games I have that are far, far better looking (Crysis, Fallout 3 HD modded), it really doesn't justify it's requirements.

That's neither here nor there though I suppose.

So, to the issue again. I apologise, I should've stated in the original post that these problems have been occurring consistently even on the below settings.

AA - Low
Visual Effects - Medium
Shadow Effects - Medium
Trees - Medium
Draw Distrance - High (reduce this maybe, from what I understand it doesn't really have much affect)
Texture Detail Medium
Sim Detail - Medium.

It has also black screened on a non-native lower resolution setting of 1024x768

Despite what seems to now be aging and half-obsolete hardware, I feel it still should handle it on these settings.

I guess the only thing to try is to uninstall the newest mods added and see what happens.

Thanks again guys. Flynn especially for that very thorough post!

Dellena

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
I think the original suggestion of the manual uninstall and then JUST installing the basegame and seeing what happens would be the best way to start.  And set everything to the lowest settings in the game.  If it doesn't crash, then start upping the settings to your normal play level.  If that goes ok, then addone expansion at a time.  Play it and see when you reach the point of crashing.  Video cards do get old and start to wear out.

Offline Bazerk83

• Nooboo
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »
-Update-

PROGRESS.... perhaps....

I uninstalled Into The Future and ran The Sims again, it ran for about an hour and then black screened again. I'll remove some more and test it again tomorrow.

I've also hit my PC with some compressed air to clear out some dust (although it had been given a full break-down clean a few months back.

Will keep you posted.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
Thanks again for keeping us updated.

Question -- Does the video problems come up in any other games/programs that you've noticed, or just in Sims 3?

MrsFlynn

Offline Bazerk83

• Nooboo
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »
I haven't tested any other games yet. I'll try to get around to that later tonight. What I have noticed though is Nvidia control panel VSync On isn't limiting fps to 30 as is recommended for TS3. I've downloaded, installed and ran fps limiter following the instructions but it's still running at 60fps.

Offline Bazerk83

• Nooboo
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 08:02:53 PM »
-Update-

SUCCESS!!!!!!

So with everything still set on medium, I reinstalled fpslimiter (without 3booter) exactly how I did before. Previously, FRAPS was showing that even with fps limiter and 3booter, TS3 was running at 60fps. So after reinstalling fpslimiter I used the built in OSD to track the fps. Fullscreen it doesn't show an fps count but in windowed mode it does and it never went above 30. (Still not sure why Fraps stayed at a steady 60fps, not sure what to trust here...)

ANYWAY, I moved in a household I picked at random, (4 sim household) and kept it playing on high free will and just left it to run, checking up on it frequently. Almost 7 HOURS of consistent running! No blackscreen, nothing. I'm now going to try it with Into The Future reinstalled. If it holds out again, I'll try upping the graphics just a tad at a time.

But at least now I have a foundation to build on and know that if all further testing fails, I can at least use it at this level, which I'll be fine with.

Thank you to everyone for all your patience and determination in helping me. It really is appreciated!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 10:38:54 PM »
Yay!! It's working!! We're happy to hear that. Hopefully it stays that way.

You're welcome. I'm happy we could help. :)

MrsFlynn

Offline Bazerk83

• Nooboo
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »
Thanks MrsFlynn,

I'm definitely confident that the issue is fixed now. With Into The Future installed and all my CC, I spent about 5 hours in CAS (which I've had crash problems with before) tweaking a family and making a second one (each family had 6 Sims) and not a single crash, freeze or glitch.

I can finally start playing now without wondering in the back of my mind, 'How long before this black screens or crashes'

Thanks again everyone!

Dellena

Re: Black Screen during Gameplay- No 'fix' works. (SOLVED)
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
So glad we you were able to persevere and fix it! :D  Happy simming!

anything