Author Topic: Basement and Swimming Pools  (Read 21466 times)

Balkor

Basement and Swimming Pools
« on: September 10, 2010, 05:20:29 AM »
Does anyone know of a way to have a Basement and a Swimming pool right next to each other? I was wanting to make an island inside the pool leading to a nice seating area to look into the pool but I cant seem to find a way to have one right next to the other =/

Offline Slingsby

• Occult
Re: Basement and Swimming Pools
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:50:04 AM »
I'm fairly sure you have to leave one free square between the pool and the basement.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Balkor

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »
I'm fairly sure you have to leave one free square between the pool and the basement.

Yeah that's the closest I can get it, but with that it's not possible to see into the pool from the basement. =/

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »
Leto sent me this a few months ago, check and see if there is anything you can use in this link.  Good luck.

Try this link.  [Link removed. -Pam]
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »
The link does not work for me.  Anyone else have problems with it?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
I put another link on here and when I clicked on it and went to the site, it had links to mod sites and I removed it, but there are a few tutorials on sims 3 site that tells you how to build underground aquarium pool and be able to watch people swim.  Again, I am sorry for putting that link on here and removing it.  Shame on me. :o

Balkor

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »
Thank you Salty. It's more complicated to do than I thought, but I'll give it a go when I build my next house. =D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
 Try this YouTube tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=horP63Fjp5s. This is the easiest way I have found to do this.  ;D
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Balkor

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:41:12 AM »
hey mtglady, I had just actually found that last night and I was going to post it today xD The only problem with it is you need to get the design perfect first time otherwise you have a constant hole underneath your house =/

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
In Twinbrook there is a mansion with a huge pool.  When you go into the basement there is a very large viewing window, BUT, it is a case of TWO windows.  One window in the pool, then a standard one square space between the pool and the house, where there is another window.  They are matched up perfectly so it is quite easy to see into the pool.  You can tell there is a space between house and pool but it isn't distracting at all and looks really cool, like a double paned window.  I want to know how they did that.  Anyone have any idea?  It is very different from the directions in the link.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »
Build your pool and bring it as close as you can to the basement below.  You use "moveobjects on" to put big windows in the pool wall and the wall to match.  It is pretty neat, but I forgot how to do it where the basement walls and pool are flush with each other.  Still a nice effect though.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »
Build your pool and bring it as close as you can to the basement below.  You use "moveobjects on" to put big windows in the pool wall and the wall to match.  It is pretty neat, but I forgot how to do it where the basement walls and pool are flush with each other.  Still a nice effect though.

WHOO HOO!  Thanks Saltypaws!  Have you been in that mansion?  It really is very unique, but as far as I can see it's just a huge, interesting, architectural piece of art, that is suited only for a couple or a single guy.
I couldn't see a way to make it family oriented  without harming the design of the house, but I was pretty tired and discouraged at the time.

I love the fact the designer put a sound room next to the pool viewing room but he sure made the stairs and other things seem cramped.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 03:28:08 AM »
This is old thread but while searching for tutorial how to made giant fish tank, I founded the answer for this question too.
Build a pool where you want it, then use basement tool, hold ctrl and make basement to the edge of the pool (you have to start from empty square not from the pool). Once you reach the pool edge and lines are still green, release ctrl and click the mouse button. Then you will have basement and pool divided by just one wall. With moveobjects cheat you can place large windows and have direct view into the pool. You can also camouflage pool to look more like a pond/lake.

there is tutorial on youtube for this but I'm waiting for TommyT to open the thread about building fish tanks and that will include this too.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »
Fish tanks are actually a piece of cake to make, but you MUST use buydebug to accomplish the look.  It depends on whether you want fish swimming in it or not.  Basically, you make a pool and you make basement area one square away from the pool.  Use moveobjectson to put windows in both the basement and the pool.  The more windows the more like a fish tank/aquarium it looks.  You can use buydebug to put sand piles on the bottom of the tank and in the corners.  Put a table, (the one that's from the pyramids looks best), on the bottom of the pool.  Go to buydebug again and buy the Fog Emitter.  It looks like a turquoise blue circle.  Put that on the table.  By Shift clicking the FE you get a box that asks you what you want to do.  You type in the command for what you want the emitter to do, and it does a LOT of things.  I typed in fishsharkactive and got a nice shark swimming around!  The emitter becomes invisible in live mode but you might want to disguise the table.  You need an emitter for each command, so if you want more fish you need more tables and emitters.  I put an emitter on the floor and no shark, BUT I could type in bubbles and get bubbles from the floor emitter.  Just decorate the tank however you want to with move objects and you'll get some interesting looks.  That emitter is amazing with all the things you can do with it.  I'm determined to find out how to do it all.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 03:54:44 AM »
I haven't use fog emitters, but I made a great underground aquarium using buydebug and without that one empty square. I'll post some pics later in dynasty thread ;D

anything