Author Topic: Building questions  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Building questions
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »

Does anyone know how to stack foundation pieces on top on one another?  I've tried moveobjects on but that doesn't work.  And how are some of those pillars made?  Using the make a room thing and just adding up or going underground?

I've been wanting to build a castle, and have all the parts for it, but how do you get the pieces to fit together?  Is it moveobjects on?  It's really cool to see how you all have done stuff, and Tommy T's guide is awesome but it still leaves a few things unanswered.  The nittty-gritty how to do stuff.  Like, I accidentally found out how to build on a slope by reading some threads and stuff like that should be added I think.

I've been fooling around with the world editor and I'm not too happy with the results.  I've put lots in places I felt needed them but when you add a house, prebuilt or build it yourself, strange things happen.  Forinstance, when you install a window you often have to click on it and make it appear through wall paper and stuff, and it's very easy to move things through walls that should not go there.  I had a U shaped room where I was able to make cabinets stack against one another in a perfect U with no spaces in between.  They just molded into one another the same way they would if you had a couple side by side and then put another in front of one making a corner.  But these corners were rounded like a U.  That should not happen.  So I tried putting a sink in and of course, it went all weird and didn't fit, so I think it would be unusable.  Had to shift things around to keep their normal shape.  Nice to add new lots, but if they are going to have glitches or mess your game up then not so good.  Can one of you awesome builders play with this kind of thing and see what you come up with?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Telsey

• Townie
Re: Building questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
Somewhere I read to use constrainFloorElevation false

I have not had a chance to try it however yet so I don't know how it works at all. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »
You can't stack foundations as such, but if you want something like pillars one trick would be to raise the ground where you want them to be then make the pillars - to make sure they are the same height, just make a slab then cut out the unwanted parts. Once the foundation is built, you can then lower the land as much as you want and the foundation will just keep going down.
As to the objects moving through walls and doing strange things, are you sure you didn't have the move objects cheat on? I've put down a few new blocks to build on and never had any strange behavior like that without a cheat in place (and that happens on any lot)

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:37:32 AM »
Yeah Moveobjects on and placing windows and doors does not go well!  ;) As for the Raising Foundation I have several ideas.

1st -  raise the ground to desired height of to the side of the lot, drag a Foundation from that raised part and the foundation will stay level but also high.

2nd - There is something that came in Ambitions where you can place it like the stage?

3rd - Use constrain floor elevation, on walls, you can make them become half the height.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Telsey

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
Actually there are demos on youtube of how to do it.  Look up a user name Chrillsims.  He does them and has demos of most things. I just didn't save the sites where I saw them but if you do a search you should find it.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:35:15 AM »
Actually I need to find out something.  Normally when I build a house, I put a ceiling in and it still has a roof.  In my dynasty house when I made the addition, I put the ceiling in and it made it a flat roof and I cannot for the life of me get a roof back on, plus have ceiling tiles.  I know it can be done, because I have always done it.  I am doing something wrong somewhere and I really like having ceilings.  I usually go up a level, put tiles on and it is done, not this time.  Could use some input, thanks. :) 
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 06:52:58 AM »
Do you add the ceiling from the floor looking up (it's actually quite tricky) or lay the ceiling tiles down from the upper level?

Norma
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
I have always done it from the top, I have tried it from below and for some reason, it jumps, so I cannot get a good fix on it.  I know in sims2, it was so easy to put the tiles on from below.  Will play around with it some more, because that is probably the problem, but why does it work one time and not another, go figure. lol

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:52 AM »
I've noticed that if you lay the ceiling from above, the pattern shows up on the top like a floor and if you look at the ceiling from below you don't see the pattern. Because of this, I think the game could perhaps look on ceiling tiles placed from above as being flooring.

Norma

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:01:40 AM »
Logically, you are right and I agree.  I will just have to play around with it some more.  I love getting at a certain angle and seeing the ceiling throughout the house, now I have half ceiling and half sky, lol.  Will report what I find out. Thanks

anything