Author Topic: Crazy temperature fluctuations during the Spring  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Benie

• of the D family
  • Townie
Crazy temperature fluctuations during the Spring
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
Something that has been bugging me with Seasons. I'm not sure if this also happens in Fall too, but my god.. my Sim will be sitting on the couch, check the weather, and notice the extended forecast...

Monday: High 66, Low 42
Tuesday: High 73, Low 57
Wednesday: High 74, Low 58
Thursday: High 36, Low 27
Friday: High 67, Low 45

Etc..etc...
Seriously, this isn't normal. If those temps were real life, they would make you sick like heck. You can't jump from a low of 27 to a high of 67 without a significant cold front. And it showed it was sunny those two days, Thursday into Friday.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
Re: Crazy temperature fluctuations during the Spring
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
Apparently you've never lived in Texas. In Feb and March we frequently went from 17 one day, to 50s the next, then 78 the next.

Also, the lows and highs in a forecast are estimates of what could happen. That doesn't mean that for sure on Thursday the lowest temp will be 27, it means the lowest predicted is 27, it could be in the 50s all day, it's a forecast.
- Jessica

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »
Those were the temperatures we had in North Carolina last month.  Sunny and 70 one day, ice storm 3 days later.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
I get what you mean Benie. I think what really bothers me about the seasons is they don't have a gradual change.

The last day in spring will be 32 degrees and then the first day of summer will be 84 degrees.
The middle of spring I can see fluctuating, but to suddenly "switch?" That's just a little too abrupt for me.

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:48:53 AM »
I used to live in Nashville, TN, and I can remember a day near Christmas where it was 68 degrees that day.  That evening, the jet stream shifted south (it run right over TN) and we had a 30-40 degree temperature drop in about 30 minutes.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
LivvieLove, do you live close to the sea? For those of us who do, abrupt changes are fairly rare. We might get a 20 degree change in one day, but it's pretty remarkable and very rare.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »
It's kind of hard to be gradual when it's 7 days long :-P
- Jessica

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
No actually, I'm really used to temperature changes quickly.
I used to live in the Midwest (central Indiana) all of my life (born and raised) and can remember many times the weather would be quite changeable. I just don't feel like the Sims represents normal weather switches naturally between seasons. I hate the season changes in the Midwest - how quickly it changes - and was hoping the Sims would be more stable about their changes.

Because even if it was Summer and 90+ degrees the day before, with a garden going great, the next day is always below freezing in Fall, which means my garden gets completely frozen over from day one. I hate that I suddenly can't garden for 3/4 seasons, especially when harvest during fall and planting during spring is a very common thing around here.

Now I live in Chicago where the weather is just as brutal - if not worse, and I live right next to the lake!

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
While I too am used to radical temperature changes (last Thursday in Denver started out cold and snowy and wound up warm and dry by the afternoon) it does seem a touch unrealistic to be happening constantly. Then again, sims going out to play in the sprinklers when it's 32 degrees out is rather unrealistic too, so I guess I'm not too terribly picky. :P

Doesn't Twallan's Tempest mod help regulate some of that? If you're willing to try mods that might be a solution.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »
I really like Twallan's mods but I haven't looked into his Seasons one. I may just take a look into that.
I guess another thing I dislike about the weather system is that the weather doesn't move as fast as time does. So, if it rains it will literally rain for 3 days straight, finally let up, but then it's scheduled to rain again, so I'll only get one dry day out of all of summer! :/

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:21:28 PM »
Yep, Tempest can fix that too: you can adjust the chance of sunny versus rainy days. I IP, I adjusted to have 3 weeks of summer and 1 week of spring (to represent winter), and eliminated any chance of snow. I also adjusted the holidays so I'd have gift day happen during spring and the other 3 holidays occur during summer, in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything