Author Topic: Need some help and advice with roof  (Read 6705 times)

Offline malteser60

• Occult
Need some help and advice with roof
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
I've been having some trouble with the diagonal roof (you'll see what I mean by the screenshots) and I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

So, I re-created the house that i'm currently living in. I mainly did it as I was going to re-arrange the living room furniture and before I started lugging heavy furniture around I thought I might see how it looks like in the sims. So I pretty much did it to scale - had to use some moveobjects on though. Then I got carried away and did the whole house, down to the pattern on the sofa!

The problem I have is with the half diagonal roof on the 'extension' out the back.

Here's what it looks like:

As you can see the roof at the back slopes diagonally to the right. I need it to slope diagonally to the left. When I went to insert the roof in myself manually it kept on saying that it was unable to do it as it was intersecting an object. I could't figure it out what it was intersecting. I deleted all possible windows, lights, etc. However when I used autoroof it did it for me - except the wrong way. So my question is, why, or what, do you think is causing it not to allow me to do it manually, and why would autoroof work instead?

As mentioned before, I removed all windows, and removed anything from the ground floor that might interfere. The only things I had to do with moveobjects on is place the counters in the kitchen opposite each other and closer to the wall that it would normally allow, so that it was flush.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Living room re-arranging looks great! Thanks to the sims  :D

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Need some help and advice with roof
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »
You said you removed all windows and doors from the ground level, what about the window on the upper level. I just re-created your house and did the roof as you want and it worked (without that window) then I added the window and I couldn't place the roof, yet auto -roof placed it sloping down to the left and intersecting with the window lol.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »
Oh wow, you managed! See, I removed the upstairs window aswell. And it still won't do it for me. I actually do wonder if my game is glitched though as it has happened with other houses i've built but I just thought it was my lack of roof knowledge as, at first, I just didn't get how to place the roofs.

Thank you so much for recreating it though. I'm going to go and try again and let you know how it goes.

Oh, also finally got round to sorting my ea sims 3 My Page finally, and have added you as a friend.

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
Nope, not working for me. I deleted the upstairs window, chose the half gable roof, went to place it (dragging from a corner to the other) and it keeps on saying it can't intersect object. It stops me one square away from the wall.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »
Another thought. Is there anything on the wall in the upper room, or an item of furniture against that wall. There could be something in that room that's interfering.

Norma
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
That did it! Fantastic! Thanks  ;D I had a bed and curtains against the wall, moved them, and no problem. Didn't realise that the roof would be affected by items on the other side of the wall. Thanks Norma, you've been a great help.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »
Oh great to hear it's worked out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.