Author Topic: Server Upgrade Issues - Posts Not Showing, etc. (fixed)  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Server Upgrade Issues - Posts Not Showing, etc. (fixed)
« on: September 07, 2010, 11:53:58 PM »
We've Upgraded the server to our new Quad Core. Let us know of any issues related to the forum here. For the record I pulled it off in decent time initially, but problems with permissions cropped up afterward and one of my own posts disappeared.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Server Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »
Sorry guys, uploading avatars again I suppose. Silly really.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »
Due to the server move and upgrade, everyone will need to upload their avatar images to their profiles again.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  They just don't survive the transfer with the links to profiles intact.

Some are still on profiles for some reason.  Just please check and upload again if necessary.  Thanks!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:14:00 AM »
I have had one small problem, when I am replying to a topic and I click post, I get a message that says my session has expired and to resubmit.  It really isn't a big deal since I just have to hit post again.  But I have never seen that before.

EDIT:  I went looking for a topic that was on my unread list because it wasn't there anymore.  Found the topic but my reply to a different topic was there.  Now I cannot find the topic that I did post on originally.  I am confused.  Maybe my session expiring made my reply go somewhere different.
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38:31 AM »
Well, that's a new one. I need more to go on though, I can tell you that. We haven't had a problem with session ids before.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »
I'm having some problems. When I checked my email, I had several notifications that threads I am watching have had new posts, yet when I click the link, there are no new posts there. Also when I go to the main page (the guide main page) I can see on the right where it says latest forum posts. In that area, I can see the new posts (well the first line) but when I click on the link, again, I get the thread as it was with no new posts, even the ones I can see the start of on the front page are not there.

An example of this, on the front page it says (and has for some time) that the latest post is the following:
Re: Proposed Challenges
The DaVinci challenge inspired me and i got this idear last night:Money maker challenge:Have 3 sims or more (easiest with

yet when I go to that thread, the newest post is one from Metro that begins with a quote and goes on to say - An interesting idea. But, here's why it would never work

I'm also pretty sure the lastest post on the front page isn't updating.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
I think the situation has resolved itself.

I think I've resolved it. Sorry about the avatars...again. Honestly them disappearing immediately this time was a good sign. At first, we had them, then they vanished. Now it seems things are back to normal.

If anyone's worried about posting, I can tell you two things tip me off that things are definitely working better -- the forum's RSS feed is live and showing posts properly on the Guide, and the SMF version in our administration panel showing ?? now shows us at 1.1.11 as we should be. I honestly think I went too fast, and with the DNS settings (which machine the guide/forum point to) switching to the new box, it just went haywire.

Honestly the only way to know for sure is to just use the forum and report back to me any issues. I hate to ring the support bell, but if something I absolutely can't handle comes up I'll head over to the SMF forum and ask for help.

I re-uploaded all the forum files once more and didn't have to mess with the database at all this time, so what posts did survive the crazy black hole phenomena last night are still there.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Server Upgrade Issues - Posts Not Showing, etc. (fixed)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »
Well, there are plenty of new posts cropping up now and the RSS feed on the guide is chugging along. Looks like we're in the clear unless someone has something else I'm not noticing.

Offline Happytime

• Townie
  • "There you have it, there it is." ~Buckaroo Banzai
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:17 PM »
Carl,

I've not experience any troubles yet, and I've been in and out most of the morning.

I've been a member of several "Simple Machines Forums" (the SMF folks) and I've seen "avatars" / "profile pictures" get munched on / deleted about every time there's been an upgrade. I'm pleased things seem to be settled out.  :)

Thank you again for your efforts.

-- Happytime

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »
For all it is worth, I'm not experiencing any problems either.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
Good. Hey, I got the time zone right this round. How's that for progress! 8)

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
Good job with the time zone!  I always wondered if the forum was based in the US why the time was so far off from my time. I am in PST. 

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »
I jokingly said to Pam that I think the server must be in Greenland, but I really think its physical location must be somewhere a couple timezones east of EST. Had to offset it by -2 hours. You other US folk can change your timezone offset in profile settings based on EST, so if pacific I guess it'd be another -3 hours. If you really wanted it current for your locale.

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »
I had no idea I could change the time on the forum for myself.  Thank you!  It now shows my local time.  It even had an auto detect button, I didn't need to type in the -3.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
Awesome. I love the brilliant minds who've developed SMF and given us this powerful platform :)

Our next upgrade will be to SMF 2.0 when it comes out of beta testing. It's been so long we can be confident it will be rock solid when it does.

I expect to deliver a personal donation to SMF and may pursue a charter membership.

anything